cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A vs. Class C engine access...

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new at this and have seen a couple of RVs close up.
I was thinking that from the few Ive seen, the As seem to have better engine access than the class Cs.

I posted this in the Class C forum earlier, now I'm posting it here.

The Class C guys said I was right about the access, but that since the Cs are built in the Ford or Chevy factory, they are basically trucks and any shop will help or work on them.

They also said some of the class A wiring/ connector practices are not as robust to weather and age. Nor is the documentation.

Class A Fasteners can be of lesser quality and not age well.

Also, since the engine access panel is larger and more into the living space of the class A, there is more noise and heat generated compared to class Cs.

Responses?

groundhogy
23 REPLIES 23

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned both, 3 C's and 2 A's. As far as access to the engine it depends on the manufacturer and what you are trying to do to the engine. Some things are easier on both. If the engine needs to be removed the C's are usually much easier.
I completely disagree with the noise level, both of my A's have been much quieter than the C's I have owned. With my current one, you can hardly hear the engine unless it shifts down on a grade but the C's were worse.
As far as the wiring, I think that depends on the quality of the coach builder as does the quality of the fasteners. I really don't believe the class A manufacturers would use cheaper components than the class C manufacturers and actually many brands make both classes.
I prefer the A class because the chassis is usually heavier and I have seen a lot of class Cs with over the cab leakage problems and poorly lengthened chassis frames.
That being said there are many very nice class C's on the road.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I had to laugh at the one that they used better fasteners on c's than A's. I can just imagine them ordering cheaper fasteners for one over the other. Chassis wiring is always different than coach wiring and the quality of the coach builder will determine that factor.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Dune_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
If you want ease of servicing and strong dealer support with many locations look at a super C.
I just pull hood forward and everything is in reach.
The Dune Box

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I found my class A Monaco Diesel rear engine to be quite easy to work on, you can access from the top or the bottom. I know for a fact that Class B diesel 6.0 are one of the worst engine, probably the worst, to work on. It is so tight in there that for many things you need to undo the engine mount and lift the engine. Mechanics will tell you they hate to work on it.

Probably that many place do not know enough about motorhome that they think it is different, a Ford is a Ford, a Cummins is a Cummins.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Explorer
Explorer
I've changed spark plugs in both my Ford class A and a Ford Econoline van. The class A was much, much easier (even though there were 2 more plugs to do). 🙂

The manifold bolts in the Class A can be easily reached, once you take the front wheels off. Not so in a Class C. The access from the bottom is also better in the Class A. The only thing that might be easier to access with a Class C would be the water pump and top radiator hose.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
groundhogy wrote:
engine that needs no servicing. hee hee.

Let's see...an oil change at 7500 miles(for the average RV that is once a year). Coolant change at 5 years. Air filter at 30,000 miles. Plugs at 100,000 miles. Belts and hoses, maybe at 50,000+ miles.

Naturally there is still the lube for the chassis which is present on C and A rigs.
Basically on any of the coaches with a newer gasoline engine, the amount of scheduled service is minimal. Not enough to worry about access to any great extent.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
engine that needs no servicing. hee hee.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
groundhogy wrote:
Ok, I viewed your profiles and found some of the models if the info is up to date.

-Winnie Adventurer 32V. awesome

-1999 Holiday Rambler, Endeavor 36'. difficult

-2013 Thor Ace 29.2 .some of the new ones (ACE,
FR3) have dual swinging doors to completely open
the front of the engine bay. awesome

-Thor wiring good. Greyhawk 31FS.

-2004 Winnebago 35-U. Front engine difficult.

I have a Thor Palazzo 33.3 that is nice. I used to have a Jayco Greyhawk 31FS which was terrible.
FMCA member

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
Let me ask you a question - why do you care about engine access? Modern gas engines have virtually nothing you need to service on a regular basis. You can check the oil and coolent levels, put in windshield washer fluid, but other than that, you have nothing that needs your "help".

The most important question these days is "where's the OBDII plug"?
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I viewed your profiles and found some of the models if the info is up to date.

-Winnie Adventurer 32V. awesome

-1999 Holiday Rambler, Endeavor 36'. difficult

-2013 Thor Ace 29.2 .some of the new ones (ACE,
FR3) have dual swinging doors to completely open
the front of the engine bay. awesome

-Thor wiring good. Greyhawk 31FS.

-2004 Winnebago 35-U. Front engine difficult.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
lol. yes, im purposely starting a fight.

So, it sounds like some of the As are hard access and some are awesome.
But I cant tell which from your comments.

I guess I want to purchase the ones that are easy access.

Can you comment on which models?

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I think the A is better, when I open the doghouse I have really good access to the top of the engine and when working underneath, I can practically sit up straight and work-lots of room under there (Ford V10_)
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
groundhogy:I'm new at this and have seen a couple of RVs close up.
I was thinking that from the few Ive seen, the As seem to have better engine access than the class Cs.

I posted this in the Class C forum earlier, now I'm posting it here.

The Class C guys said I was right about the access, but that since the Cs are built in the Ford or Chevy factory, they are basically trucks and any shop will help or work on them.

Dont believe THAT for a minute. Ive seen MANY truck dealers that wont do a thing on a class C motorhome

They also said some of the class A wiring/ connector practices are not as robust to weather and age. Nor is the documentation.

AGain..total BS

Class A Fasteners can be of lesser quality and not age well.

Yeah...right...lmao

Also, since the engine access panel is larger and more into the living space of the class A, there is more noise and heat generated compared to class Cs.

Responses?

groundhogy

Its all a bunch of lies and BS!

presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
From underneath, on my GM powered Class A, I can access many things on the engine easier than in a class C. It is wide open to the plugs, starter, exhaust manifolds, etc. From up above, things like the coils and intake manifold has easy access without working over the radiator and under a hood.