cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C regrets/Options you wish you had?First time class C

JeepGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at moving up to a class C from a small trailer and after searching for a few days online there are alot of different floor plans/options and i have no idea whats needed and whats just a luxury. What do you have and not use or wish you had. Were looking at 02 coachmen santara 292.We like the slide option for more room and need a rear bed with front bunk for kids. As long as this has the 5000lb tow rating were going to look at it this weekend (well if they still have it)
50 REPLIES 50

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to pull a Toad get a big block gasser like the Ford V-10 or Chevy V-8. The Mercedes makes a poor choice for towing.
It may be a poor choice for some, but with 20,000 miles and 8 trips over the Rockies, towing with the Mercedes Sprinter has worked out just fine for me.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Wildeflowers
Explorer
Explorer
I just joined the forum and am new to this whole thing but I wanted to reach out to you and also tell you not to give up. We were working with the same budget and with the same wish list. We very luckily recently found exactly what we were looking for and in our price range and we're really excited about it. It took a lot of time and effort and a willingness to look at a lot of ugly ducklings but a decent class c in that price range is not out of line.

We decided to forego dealers, as the markup at dealers near me was often outlandish. We checked rv trader, craigslist and other sites for private sales. I was willing to search many hours from our home. I checked for new listings every day and I was the first person to respond to the seller we are purchasing from. If we have up after the first class c we looked at we never would have gotten anywhere. We decided against towing simply because of our current vehicle situation and based on the advice of people much more knowledgable than ourselves.

A private sale can be risky, but so can purchasing from a dealer. There are really great people out there willing to sell their gently used rvs for a fair price. You just have to find the right one and that will take patience and time.

firebird
Explorer
Explorer
I would not give up after looking at one. There are good deals out there if you patient. We just bought a 01 26' fleetwood jamboree for 15k with 70k miles. Supper low mileage on that old of a rig is not always a good thing. We moved from a 26' 5er with one of the key reasons being we wanted to take our JKUR with us.
Eric, wife Laura, kids - Katherine, Joseph
01 Jamboree 26F class c
13 JKUR
03 4x4 F350 SRW LB 6.0 diesel - sold
00 4x4 3500 LB DRW 454 GMC - sold
05 2505 nomad 5er by Skyline - sold
98 4x4 3/4 Ton Suburban 6.5L Chev
94 11ft weekender camper by skyline - sold

JeepGuy
Explorer
Explorer
well we went and looked at the coachmen we had our eye on and we have now realized that our budget isnt going to allow us into a class c that we want right now. the one we looked at was a 02 29' santara with 32k , one slide, leveling jacks, onan gen, rear walkaround, couch, table and overhead bed,ducted a/c which were all things we were looking for, it was a cosignment and they are asking $25k for it, the roof needed re-sealing, there was a fixed leak at the rear window(not sure if it was fixed correctly), the hydro setup for the jacks looked new but was leaking at the pump somewhere, it smelled like cig smoke, the awning above slide was broken, the shower was a gross yellow (possibly made that way)the carpet was gross the arm of the couch was broken.on the plus side it had all new battiers, all new tires. So we may lowball and offer him 15k for it. it would need new carpet, a new couch, prob new table cushions as well aas bunk ones to get rid of the smoke smell. BUT while looking at it there was a twice used 2014 hybrid jayco jat feather slx 16xrb that is only 300lbs heavier than our current camper and has way more room as it has 2 beds that pop out the ends. So it looks like we will be going that route as its way cheaper, gets us what we need space wise. i think in 4 or 5 years well be ready money wise for a class C. I do want to thank you all for your input, now off to see if theres a hybrid section here.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
For me, I really can't think of anything I don't have in my 1975 American Clipper (21 ft class C) that I really need. Sometimes I think "I should get a generator" but then I realize that I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed one, so why get one. Other than that, there isn't anything that I would give up to gain something else.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ronfisherman
As my motorhome gets older. I wish it had full paint. Would it a lot easier to keep outside looking good.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
The only regret we have with our 2008 Tioga Ranger 31W is it only has a slide in the living/dining area. No room for clothes with limited closet space.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Just miss the walk around bed in our Aspect.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2009 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M 32 ft. Great floor plan. Loved it. Rated for 5,000lb towing. Towed our Jeep great could not even tell it was back there.
My recommended must haves---walk round rear bed. Pantry. NO front window in cabover ( source of water leaks, cold in cold weather, Hot in the summer) No hydraulic levelers ( adds a lot of weight) adequate headroom in cabover. E450 engine. Make sure you can access bathroom, kitchen sink, & fridge when slides are in. Vent fan in bathroom and kitchen. Skip bunk models.
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman

pompomgirl
Explorer
Explorer
The only things I don't have and wish for are a walk-around bed and an inverter to prevent having to run the generator to work on the computer on the road. Also I wish for better storage, like on a boat, but apparently that just doesn't exist in the RV world. If I were going to full-time, I'd be tempted to tear it all out and build decent storage.

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
I would go for auto levelers. We have a '11 Chateau 31k, with the mid-ship TV which works super good for us. We have replaced the day/night blinds and re-linoleumed the floor with 'wood plank' roll/sheet flooring, makes such a difference. We use boards, plastic blocks, but going forward, backward and re-figuring what side needs how much height gets to be a "discussion"!!!
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

cmarq
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Coachman Class C new 1999. Worst purchase I ever made. A slide out is a must. Large windows that open, bedroom windows for good air flow. Take the family and see how everyone can sit and room for everyone to eat.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, great question...
One piece rubber roof
One piece front cap, with NO WINDOWS in it.
Frameless windows
Two year warranty (If an RV manufacturer believes in their product, they'll offer more than a 1 year warranty!)
Electric awning
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Capt_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
Corner bed is ok but if your wife is like mine you will be the one to have to crawl over her to get to the bathroom during the night..lol.

I tried saying,but honey I don't want to wake you crawling over you..didn't work!

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
JeepGuy wrote:
thanks for all the input. to clear thing up we are looking for a used , very used, we have a small budget 25k ish so no new units, were hoping to get 01 or newer due to the improved v10. Now we will only go on weekend trips no long term camping yet.

We bought used and smallish (24ft) and thought that the cab over bed would work for us. It turned out to be too claustrophobic for me. We use the jack knife sofa and the dinette now as beds and sleep separately. It's comfortable enough, but not handy. My next C will have a permanent bed, even if it's a corner bed.
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar