cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click noise under hood

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
97 Bounder, keep hearing a "tunk" followed by a "click" every few minutes under the hood when plugged into power. Sounds as if an automotive circuit breaker in the control box keeps tripping then resetting. Is this normal? If it is a breaker, how can I narrow down which one? Looks like I have to remove the circuit board to see some of the things behind it.
1997 Fleetwood Bounder
2008 Harley FLHTCUI anniversary edition
12 REPLIES 12

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this will help but had a similar clicking on our 94 Bounder. Eventually I couldn't get the chassis battery to stay connected. Had to replace the switch/relay that connects/disconnects the battery. Don't recall hearing the clicking after that but sold the motorhome shortly after that. Have you ever had a problem where you turn on the chassis battery but still have no power to dash? Turn it off and on a few times then have power to dash? That's how our problem started. The 2 issues may be unrelated, but thought I'd throw it out there.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This link may help in understanding the workings.
Battery control center manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
It should not be cycling from shore power, only from alternator charge circuit.
Did you find make and model of battery control center?

It's an RV Custom Products and the circuit board is a CB-115 rev A
1997 Fleetwood Bounder

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It should not be cycling from shore power, only from alternator charge circuit.
Did you find make and model of battery control center?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
It's a brand new chassis battery. I don't know how old the 6v coach batteries are though. Could one or both be bad and cause that to continually cycle? It has a separate converter charger for those but I didn't know if it would cause it to click somehow
1997 Fleetwood Bounder

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The charging solenoid energizes when the chassis battery reaches a set value or the aux. start switch is pushed. If it is cycling your chassis battery is not reaching the set value.
Mine charge and aux. start relay does not energize off of shore power or the genset.
Have your chassis battery load tested.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
I learned the silver cylinder coil is the charging and auxiliary start solenoid/relay. It makes sense that it is clicking only when plugged in since it is the charging relay. Should it be clicking though like that?
1997 Fleetwood Bounder

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
The silver cylinder sounds like it might be battery isolator solenoid which make a distinctive click when they are energized.

On my rig that solenoid places my chassis and coach batteries in parallel whenever I turn on the ignition key or when I press the emergency start button. If this is a similar solenoid you might try and have someone press the emergency start switch when the rig is turn off and see if you hear the same click? Not sure why it would periodically click, might be loose wire, might be auto reset breaker in wire that energizes the solenoid.
Kevin

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
It's an RV Custom Products CB-115 from what I can get off the board. There is a diagram on the inside of the control box cover as well. There are two breakers mounted to the top of the control box that appear to be paralleled. I put my fingers on them and do not feel the clicking coming from them. There is a silver cylindrical 12v coil, and two larger black square cubes behind the board. I can feel the cubes and it doesn't feel as if the clicking is coming from them either. The coil feels warm and I can somewhat feel clicking by touching that but I think it is resonating through it by virtue of being connected to the panel. It does appear that it is coming from behind the circuit board though. I may have to remove the screws so that the board can come loose so that I can feel/see what's going on back there.
1997 Fleetwood Bounder

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Since it happens on a recurring basis ... follow the sound to locate the problem Sounds like an auto reset circuit breaker - might be a simple as replacing the breaker .. at least you will know the circuit and can continue diagnosis.
Kevin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Open the battery control center. Look for two auto reset circuit breakers that feed the coach batteries. Some have two wired in parallel to carry the load.
Which battery control center do you have? Make and model? Look on circuit board for model of it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
If you're in the witness protection program...... :W
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74