cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

clorox bleach in diesel

hr
Explorer
Explorer
I put 1 cup of clorox bleach in diesel tank (90gal) by mistake!The fuel hole is right next to the water fill,What should I do?
HR
91 REPLIES 91

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Capnqball,Sully2; No..... I did this to see if an even greater concentration of bleach would cause damage to an engine. If you are worried about what to do with the diesel, look in the yellow pages for a fuel supplier, and ask them what they thing, and what they would do. I believe that any fuel treatment for diesel, will fix the perceived problem. And YES, I too think that any bleach that gets pumped will end up in the bottom of the separate. If I had done this, I too would have an Oh My God moment. But in reality, as others have said, this is a non problem, I believe.
Wildmanbaker

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a "fuel polishing service" It is a company that specializes in fuel filtering/cleaning, used commonly in the marine industry. I hope this helps, Bill
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
capnqball wrote:
Wildman,
But does your lawnmower engine have a fuel/water separator like the DP. I would think the bleach would most likely end up in the bottom of the separator.

BINGO!!!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

capnqball
Explorer
Explorer
Wildman,
But does your lawnmower engine have a fuel/water separator like the DP. I would think the bleach would most likely end up in the bottom of the separator.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
JohnnyT,
Well I did a little experiment with my lawn-mower. It holds 24 ounces of gas, to keep the ratios right, just a fume of bleach would be needed to match the ratio of bleach to fuel. I instead, added once of bleach to the tank, and filled it. Started the mower and started to mow. It stalled, of course, the bleach did not mix with the gas, and went right to the carb. Left it overnight, added 5 ounces of rubbing alcohol and tried to started it, I got tired of pulling the rope and used the starter, after a few seconds of cranking it sputtered to life, and then ran fine. I pulled the carb bowl to check for any damage, and found none. It was very clean, which I expected since I ran alcohol through it. I know, this is not an injected engine, or diesel, but to duplicate the same circumstances, would be very hard and time consuming, not that what I did was not time consuming. Considering the very high-end B&S engine and high class carb, I really do not thing there is anything to worry about.
Wildmanbaker

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Jim wrote:
It doesn't seem to hurt my washing machine parts and hoses Just a thought.
Thats a good point Jim.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't seem to hurt my washing machine parts and hoses Just a thought.
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Born To Travel wrote:
Wonder why Clorox bleach comes in a plastic (non-corrosive) jug, and years ago it came in a glass jug, But it has never been sold in a metal can?... Hmmm...

Same goes for milk. :B just sayin
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Born To Travel wrote:
Wonder why Clorox bleach comes in a plastic (non-corrosive) jug, and years ago it came in a glass jug, But it has never been sold in a metal can?... Hmmm...

simple.....COST!
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Johnny
risk adversion is a great idea

of course, IF the chlorine stays in the water, does not mix with the diesel fuel, and will be trapped at the water trap,
but it will come in contact with the lift pump and fuel lines

again, we need a fuel systems engineer or chemist
i merely provided some numbers, and it really makes me wonder

because sodium hydrochloride is NOT the same thing as Chlorine gas

mix bleach and ammonia and you can release chlorine gas, and that IS corrosive, poisonous and dangerous

It will "stay with" the water because its in solution and not in suspension
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

MrWizard
Johnny
risk adversion is a great idea

of course, IF the chlorine stays in the water, does not mix with the diesel fuel, and will be trapped at the water trap,
but it will come in contact with the lift pump and fuel lines

again, we need a fuel systems engineer or chemist
i merely provided some numbers, and it really makes me wonder

because sodium hydrochloride is NOT the same thing as Chlorine gas

mix bleach and ammonia and you can release chlorine gas, and that IS corrosive, poisonous and dangerous
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread seems to have a lot of opinions...Some I expect with some real insight and others with a point of view... If this were my engine I would consult with the engine manufacturer...

To those that have expressed and absolute declaration that this would cause no harm... How about pouring some bleach into your tank and give us some feedback?...

As for me I literally don't know but I would err on the side of caution and have a direct conversation with the engine manufacturer and follow their direction. Absent that I would would be risk adverse since risk avoidance is fairly simple and relatively inexpensive in comparison with the risk potential.

There have been several credible posters that have indicated the potential for problem is not worth taking any risks...

There have been some that could not comprehend that such a relative minute amount would cause harm... Do the bleach pour test into your tank and let us know the results! I, unencumbered with any direct credible knowledge can not see how such a minute amount in comparison to the volume of fuel could cause damage...But I operate on the "absence of knowledge does not constitute reality" no matter how filtered by anecdotal logic.

JohnnyT Moderator
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
One good thing - no algae growing in the fuel? :h
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

MrWizard
i just checked the label on a gallon bottle of generic household bleach
2.75% Sodium Hydrochloride by weight

IDK how much bleach weighs

but 2.75% of 1 cup/8 oz = 0.22 oz sodium hydrochloride added to 90*128oz per gal = 11520 oz of diesel
0r
1.90972222222 -5 power or 0.000019097222222 chlorine concentration in the fuel

we need a fuel systems chemist/engineer to convince me, this will corrode the system and kill the engine
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s