cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuing to think about down sizing...need comments:

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is not comfortable (if fact won't) driving our class A Itasca. For that reason, we've (about) decided to down size to a smaller class C. We're looking at a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite and a 2017 Thor Gemini. I recognize that these are basically entry level coaches but are on quality Ford chassis'. My question is directed to anyone who has knowledge about Thor's quality or lack thereof. Your advice and counsel regarding this pending purchase will be greatly appreciated. / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
38 REPLIES 38

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has no interest in driving ours, so we don't make her driving as a contingent on what we buy.

I cannot think of a crisis that would ever require her to drive. There are relatives, friends, or paid companies that can get your MH home if necessary, and when you personally need to get somewhere fast, the airlines have always been hard to beat. We have never felt unprepared or under staffed with me being the only driver.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Dance Chick wrote:
I'm the DW, and I'm not willing to drive a 40'. If it comes to that, I quit. I'm very intimidated and honestly don't think I would ever get comfortable with it.

Have a friend who traded her 40' Class A for a Class C for the simple fact she couldn't drive the A and needed to get home very quickly due to a death. Her DH had to drive almost non-stop to get home. She wanted something she could drive so she could help, if needed. It wasn't long before they realized they hated the Class C and are now back into a large Class A. No telling how much money was lost.

How about a SMALL class A? I have one and know of wives who are the primary drivers. Mine was originally a gas pusher but I converted it to diesel pusher. Both are available. FMC's are 29' and very maneuverable and fun to drive. I have rented a class C and feel my FMC is easier to drive. PM me if more info is desired.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

JohnnyNorthland
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Thor siesta class C nothing but issues! I am in the process of trying to make the dealer buy it back for me now! However it does sit on the Mercedes-Benz 3500 chassis runs and rows, handles very well and gets an honest 12mpg when towing at 70mph! On the coach end multiple issues multiple times over and over again! I'm hearing Thor is a great product once you straighten out all the problems! Have had the coach for only eight months! However, I feel I would not purchase a Thor from that particular factory where the siesta is made. So do some homework and find out any quality issues if you buy aThor. Everyone tells me Winnebago is the way to go !?

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
My wife is not comfortable (if fact won't) driving our class A Itasca. For that reason, we've (about) decided to down size to a smaller class C. We're looking at a 2017 Thor Freedom Elite and a 2017 Thor Gemini. I recognize that these are basically entry level coaches but are on quality Ford chassis'. My question is directed to anyone who has knowledge about Thor's quality or lack thereof. Your advice and counsel regarding this pending purchase will be greatly appreciated. / Larry

why is that a bad thing. I would think most guys wouldn't wan the wife driving anyway. I'm glad mine doesn't want to drive. She couldn't drive a hot nail in a snow bank anyway
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
John S. wrote:
A imply topic. After 16 years Ian's thee different FORETRAVEL's I am downsizing as well. Looked at the options and went back to Born Free again. I have had two coaches at the same time for years and now we are coachkess as they figure my order. I am goinwit a royal Splendor. It is the old twenty six foot born free with the dedicated rear bed. I put it on a dodge pickup fiftyfive hundred chassis as I can get two fuel tanks and a bigger GVW. It is a 19k instead of 11 k like the sprinters.

Notice that you have a "Doodle". We had a red Poodle named Doodle aka Doodle the Poodle. He was often called Doodlebug. He's gone now but will never be forgotten.
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
A imply topic. After 16 years Ian's thee different FORETRAVEL's I am downsizing as well. Looked at the options and went back to Born Free again. I have had two coaches at the same time for years and now we are coachkess as they figure my order. I am goinwit a royal Splendor. It is the old twenty six foot born free with the dedicated rear bed. I put it on a dodge pickup fiftyfive hundred chassis as I can get two fuel tanks and a bigger GVW. It is a 19k instead of 11 k like the sprinters.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Floorplan! Floorplan! Floorplan! It is everything. If you find a class C floorplan that works, get it. Just take your time for reasons noted above.

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
I vote no!!!!!!We recently went from a 34' class A to a 31'class C..Lasted about 5 months..The C was just too small and close to the ground for me. To me it seemed more difficult to drive because of the ability to see out..Also,storage was not sufficient..Had to literally get on the ground to access the outside storage doors..We went back to a 32' class A,we are happy now..But I do all the driving//In my opinion, the A is just easier to drive..Eagerly awaiting summer,,,,,at least spring !!!!
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I have to ask just how important it is that the wife drives the coach. Personally I have never asked my wife if she wishes to drive and she has never brought it up so we toot happily down the road with me as a single driver.

We have discussed what would happen is we we were traveling and I suddenly was unable to drive. She said, simple....I would just hire some one to take the coach home and park it in the garage.

Made perfect sense to me and I'm a very poor passenger anyway.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Two Jayhawks wrote:
I envy you guys with wives that drive. Mine never has and doesn't want to. She also doesn't want to participate in hooking/unhooking the car, or hooking up utilities etc. She does however take care of all things inside including wait on me hand and foot while I am driving. All things considered our program works for us.

X2!

Exactly how ours works. My wife loves driving a pickup, but when we got a dually she wouldn't touch it. She will tow the boat with her SUV, but only out of necessity. We now have a MH in hopes she won't have to tow much anymore.

We have insurance that gets the rigs home if something happens to me that I can't drive.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

JohnnyNorthland
Explorer
Explorer
Is it difficult to locate and replace the windshield in the Thor Vegas?

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Have not read all replies but have you looked at the Winnebago Via?

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
malexander wrote:

We/she wants to try the class A. We're going to go to a large parking lot sometime so she can just "try it out". If she feels comfortable with that, we may try the road.

A parking lot is not going to test her 'trying it out'.

Find a quiet secondary country road near you - something with some turns and a few businesses or a good pull-over spot that you know of and let here drive. That will really give her a much better feeling than a parking lot.

The wife in this marriage drove the 40' motorhome very willingly and equally on all kinds of roads, including mountain driving and up to Alaska. She could also do the toad hookups and always emptied the tanks. In addition, she pampered hubby!

I may just take her up to the runway (we live on a private airport) just to see if she can stay on the centerline.:B
Then we'll go to the street
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
malexander wrote:

We/she wants to try the class A. We're going to go to a large parking lot sometime so she can just "try it out". If she feels comfortable with that, we may try the road.

A parking lot is not going to test her 'trying it out'.

Find a quiet secondary country road near you - something with some turns and a few businesses or a good pull-over spot that you know of and let here drive. That will really give her a much better feeling than a parking lot.

The wife in this marriage drove the 40' motorhome very willingly and equally on all kinds of roads, including mountain driving and up to Alaska. She could also do the toad hookups and always emptied the tanks. In addition, she pampered hubby!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel