cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convection oven use

resqguy
Explorer
Explorer
My microwave combo oven died and I need to replace it. We never really used the convection all that much. We also don't have a gas oven.

I was thinking of replacing it with a non-convection unit to save money. Is this a bad idea? It's fine for us but if we sell the unit would it hurt the resell? Would you by a MH without a gas or convection oven?
Richard and Galen the spunky Cardigan Corgi
15 REPLIES 15

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were introduced to a Sharp combo unit in our previous MH and, admittedly, I was quite skeptical about not having a gas oven since that was all we had ever used. It took a bit to understand just how to use it but the results far exceeded our expectations.

This coach has a GE combo and, while different, seems to work just as well. We're very pleased with using the combo units and do not miss the oven.

Granted we need to run the Genny while cooking but that's fine...after all that's what it's for.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
No to oven (to much space vs use) yes to convection micro they work You just have cook your pizza in quarters. Check ebay?
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a microwave/convection oven in Elkhart, IN last year at RV Surplus. They have stacks of them for $150 each.
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT Buy the newer Whirlpool Microwave/Convention Oven Combo. Way too hard to use due to hard to program each use. Too many options. Does not broil. And has a noisy fan.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Our Phaeton came without a gas oven but with a convection oven. I thought that would never do, although I'd never had great luck with the ovens in the RV's. But I soon found out that a convection oven IS a regular electric oven with a fan that circulates air. That's it. Because of the air circulation it's normally a little more efficient and sometimes adjustments need to be made. But on mine, the only adjustment is to use the minimum cooking time. Easy peasy. When we built a Texas room at our winter roost, I put in a convection/microwave oven. Works great!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Convection oven..less heat less problems...once you figure out how to use it...experiment a lot and get comfortable with it. We would not have another gas oven and certainly would pass on a unit with NO oven....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
We never use our gas oven as we have a convection oven which serves us well.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need some kind of oven to sell it. We didn't have a LP oven but we had the convection and it worked great for everything, including roasts and turkey breast.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
My Moho does not have a gas oven. Thought I was really going to miss it. But the convection oven is great, and when boondocking we just plan our gen time around dinner time. You might check to see if your stove fan is in your convection oven, you would loose it if you pulled the convection oven unless you could get a fan that fits.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I would not buy one with a gas oven.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't use our convection at first (years ago) because I really didn't know how to use it. Then I started experimenting with it. I really just used it like a standard oven. I bought one of those BBQ mats everyone is selling, cut it to fit the round rack in our oven and I cook all of our meat on it now. It holds in the juices on steak, chicken and pork chops and does a better job than the BBQ. I think if you replace it with a nice one, start using it, you'll find out that they work well for camping.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gotta have my GE Advantium. If you're like me, and enjoy having a kitchen wherever you go, the micro/convection oven is a great piece of equipment.
I even have one at S/B home.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
resqguy wrote:
My microwave combo oven died and I need to replace it. We never really used the convection all that much. We also don't have a gas oven.

I was thinking of replacing it with a non-convection unit to save money. Is this a bad idea? It's fine for us but if we sell the unit would it hurt the resell? Would you by a MH without a gas or convection oven?

no. in fact we're wrestling with the decision of gas oven OR convection oven. we've had two MHs since 1986 and we're currently negotiating for a new 2016 Suncruiser. standard equip is a combo microwave/convection oven. we've always had a LP gas oven but only use it to bake the occasional frozen pizza and buttermilk biscuits on sunday morning. the lp gas oven would be a $200 option but we'd lose a lot of storage area in the galley so we're considering forgoing the gas oven and seeing how we make out with the convection. if it doesn't work out we can always add the gas oven later albeit at a higher cost.

we've been told that while a frozen pizza won't fit our biscuits should bake and brown just fine. the only issue is that our off-the-grid ability will be further eroded as we will need to either be hooked up or run the genny to use the convection oven. but then we don't do much off-the-grid camping anymore. other than the rare overnight in a parking lot we almost always have an electrical hookup.

so, no, I wouldn't do without either a MW/CONV or traditional gas oven.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use our convection oven frequentely, so in our case we would consider having oven essential.

JohnnyT
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar