cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowsnest Pass? Need Urgent Advice

Nui
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought an RV in Ontario and learned that I have to take it to BC to register it. I am thinking of taking the Crowsnest Pass to Fernie and getting it done there. Has anyone ever driven the pass? How horrendous is it?

Thanks

Nui
9 REPLIES 9

Nui
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, thanks! I found out I can indeed register it in Ontario. Now I have to find out if I can insure it in the province too.

Things are looking up!

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Ontario allows extra-provincial registration, why not just register it here?

Yeah, help us US guys. Why would you have to drive it cross country just to register it?
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ontario allows extra-provincial registration, why not just register it here?

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago, we were headed to Vancouver. We got onto the Crow's Nest Highway at Pincher Creek, and stayed on it until it was no longer designated "Crow's Nest", around Hope, BC. Then it became "Route Transcanadienne" to Vancouver.

Along the way, we stayed in RV Parks in Sparwood, Creston, Grand Forks, and Princeton. The country was beautiful all along the way; this has to be my most memorable vacation ever!

While there are some relatively high passes and steep ascents and descents along the Crow's Nest Highway, we just took our time and enjoyed the scenery.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Head west.
Take a left at Medicine Hat onto Highway 3
as posted by Harvard ^ Sparwood, B.C. is closest to Ontario.

Crowsnest Pass itself is easy driving. Western Alberta is higher elevation already. There can be a touch of wind from time to time.

There are some interesting places to visit in the Crowsnest region if you aren't in a Big Hurry.

Safe travels

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Crowsnest and the #3 is just fine. Sure, hills. Please let me know when you find a route into BC that does not include hills!

Your other choices, of course, are #1 (traffic, and hills, maybe fewer) and #16 (out of the way, and hills)

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Sparwood is the first town after the AB/BC border.

Western Insurance offers Auto Insurance.

Sparwood@westernfg.ca. Sparwood, BC. V0B 2G0

Nui
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I need to find the closest town with an insurance company within the BC border. Is there a town closer than Fernie, do you think? Anything rather than having to do mountains again :E

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
The Crowsnest Pass itself (at the Alberta/BC border) is not an issue whatsoever. However when you get West of Creston on Highway 3 it has quite a few very significant mountain passes.