cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cummins 260 hp, ISB diesel, 5.9 - 2001 model

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped at a road side for a break and when I restarted I pulled onto the highway but with only 25% of the normal power. Turbo boost is between 7 & 8 lbs. No sound of loss of turbo pressure. Engine kind of surges when trying to accelerate like its starving for fuel. On some of the surges I see some black smoke, just a whisper. Replaced the fuel filter and didn't help. I'm in Moab UT and would you believe that there isn't a single working diesel shop in 130 miles of this place??? A couple of mechanics (?) have knee jerked diagnosed the problem as the fuel pump. I can drive 130 miles and pick up one but they need my engine serial number. Any idea as to where that is located? Its not part of the Chassis ID Data or any other tags on the body.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox
12 REPLIES 12

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:

I found the tiny hole in the boot of the turbo boost and fixed it. .

I ran into the same situation last year. In my case, it was a rusty line leading to the turbo wastegate. The rusty area had grown larger over time, so boost dropped over time. I was fine on the flats of Florida, but I knew that I had a problem once I started hitting the hills in Pensylvania. I limped it home and got it fixed.
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)

Mr__Coach
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, I was in Moab last fall with my RV and no, it's not a good place to break down pretty much nothing there for repairs, but if your a hiker/biker or ATVer your set..
To go or not to go, that is the question, "I think, Maybe"

Mr__Coach
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the final results of your post, so many people ask questions and do never return to let us know what happened.. Thanks for that...
To go or not to go, that is the question, "I think, Maybe"

MrWizard
loss of power plus black smoke indicate too Much fuel
possibly an injector or turbo failure
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Final results of my power loss problem.
After the initial diagnosis of the fuel filter being plugged and changed and no positive results.
I found the tiny hole in the boot of the turbo boost and fixed it. Next morning I left Moab and limped for about 35 miles and just had to give it up.
Call Coachnet, they sent a lowboy 90 miles from Grand Junction to pick me up and take the MH to Grand Junction. No charge. Great service.
The Freightliner facility took me in as soon as we unloaded there. Diagnosed the problem as fuel pump. Two hours later, I was back on the road again.
Side note, as a result of fixing the turbo leak, my boost went from a high of 14 psi to 22.5 now. My MH has never ran this well. Climbed grades in OD. I'm a very happy camper.
Someday Finally Got Here

chasfm11
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad that you found what may be your problem.

Your situation underscores why I bought and recommend VMSpc (I have no affiliation with that company)

1. Engine fault codes are captured. Cummins engines should not derate without setting a fault code. The fault code can give you an idea about where to look for the problem.

2. I run a laptop for our GPS (Street Atlas) because I like the much larger screen in the MH. I have VMSpc hooked up and running in 1/3 of the laptop screen. VMS monitors all gauges and can report on turboboost. It also captures intake manifold temperature which I like to watch during our Texas Summers. By keeping an eye on the turboboost, I'm hoping that I could see it slipping before a problem fully developed because of a leak.

I more than paid for VMSpc by repairing an intermittent speedometer problem myself using its data after a MH shop had failed twice making that repair. VMS also captured a code that was caused by a problem with exhaust brake that an engine shop would have had great difficulty in finding.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36'DP Cummins 5.9, Allison 1000 5sp
2005 Saturn Vue Toad, Falcon2 Towbar, BrakeMaster Toad Brake

stillthinking99
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 ISB 300 went into limp mode and luckily we had not left town yet. The repair shop replaced the lift pump and the fuel pump - that fixed it. I didn't notice any black smoke. On a side note, I always thought it had a high rev limiter because when pulling hard up grades the engine would cut out at high rev.....the fuel pump r&r fixed that. Sorry, I don't know where the engine I'd number is.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I'd change out the clamps to V-band style while you're at it.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/exhaust-clamps/clamp-style/v-band

You don't have to buy them from here just giving an idea of what they look like.

JanTx
Explorer
Explorer
just another one of the perils of rving out in the middle of nowhere... but OH how I LOVE the middle of nowhere! 🙂

have a great rest of the trip!!!
Janet N Texas

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the positive input. Mostly the good suggestion to "NOT" throw money and parts at the engine for a potential solution 🙂
Its dark so I can see better under the engine compartment with a light than in the daylight. Tried to find the serial number and in that quest I found the turbo 3 or 4 inch hose had slipped from the cast housing of the turbo and out from under the clamp. Only about a 1/2 inch or so but black smut was visible.
I loosened the clamp and struggled getting the hose completely under the clamp again but I did manage to get it to a point I feel confident about. New hose is on the parts list.
I'll know tomorrow morning if that fixed it but I feel soooo much better about it right now.
Its terrible being in a town the size of Moab UT and no diesel garage withing 130 miles.
Someday Finally Got Here

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Try this for trouble shooting.

turn the key to the on position, have a listen to the engine compartment. there should be a pump running, wait 3 minutes see if the noise quite.

Cycle three times and see if the problem goes away.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Just me but I would join http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ post and read there instead of throwing parts at it. And if it is the fuel pump I would go with a FASS system. That is what I did and I'm very happy. Just the ease of changing filters and water separator is worth it to me. Parts are to expensive to change out without knowing for sure what problem is. Nothing better than taping the experts on-line when your stuck in middle of nowhere. Whatever problem is can't be to bad. That year is almost bullet proof with right trans behind it and proper care. IMO
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"