cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash Cams

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody using dash cams? Which ones are good and how do you have them mounted- at top of windshield or on dash?
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD
40 REPLIES 40

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a G1WH and have tried it for one day so far. Great HD video. Have it set to save file every 3 minutes but may extend that to 10 minutes. Don't see need for GPS on it, if there's an accident, ther will be sufficient police documentation covering the location that the GPS won't add anything.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Ojocam Pro 2 after reading about it on this Forum. It has gps and came with the SD card. There is a issue with it attaching to the base ( getting intermittent power) and was discussed reading reviews online. However you can bypass the power connection at the base if you don't use the GPS feature and plug direct into the camera.

It works great otherwise. Small and compact.

Old_Techie
Explorer
Explorer
Kemahsabe wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

The images are fine from your dash cam but personally I would remove the speedometer reading. There has to be a delay for the speed since it is GPS based so it is not accurate for the time of impact and it could be used against you in court. I would just give the image and let it speak for itself.

an excellent point.
bumpy

X2 The 'Windshield Witness' dashcam does not include a gps for that very reason.

Windshield Witness? We looked at that one, and read about them on the internet, before buying a SOB. IMO it should have GPS. If one is to record events why not have a complete as possible record.
2007 Winnebago Tour

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
I just started using the Panorama 2 s. It is a very good camera and works well. I had to buy a SD card and have a total of about $280 for camera and card. We were in a accident this spring and had it not been for a witness on our behalf we would have had to pay our $500 deductible so the other persons insurance covered everything.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

DeWat
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of giving you the bias opinion of what ***I*** use, you can really learn what you want from a forum that is as good on dash cams as this forum is on RVs: Dash Cam Talk Webpage
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
chevor wrote:
What I would like is a 3 camera system. One camera pointed forward and 2 pointed backward mounted down each side. I don't know where to look.

You might have to come up with your own solution. I know there are people out there using mini-PC's and Linux based mini-PC's that are doing that type of application. Short of a professional (law enforcement type) system, that might be the way to get what you want done. I had some links and if I find them i will post.

A quick search found THIS which looks like it might do what you want it to do.
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
What I would like is a 3 camera system. One camera pointed forward and 2 pointed backward mounted down each side. I don't know where to look.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember, the cams are great evidence in court if you are the injured party and need proof of what happened. Problem is, if you have one that is recording something that is or could have been your fault, the other side can and will use it against you. They can demand that the video be made available as evidence. Solution is to have it mounted so that it can be removed quickly, and hidden from view.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

stugpanzer wrote:
@1492, I found out the hard way that my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone which is enveloped in an Otter Box is not too fond of being up in the window area. Mine overheated once and shutdown. It took about an hour for it to cool down enough to come back on. It doesn't seem damaged but something to think about if using a smartphone as your dashcam.

Good point. I noticed my Galaxy S in a silicon case also heat up when recording, though the severity also seems to depend on which app is being used. Which I don't quite understand as both were recording in its highest quality 1080p settings? :h Though may have something to do with the efficiency of the software encoder being used.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Don't think anyone mentioned the ones that are highly rated on dash cam talk, the G1W or A118
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Cobra dash cam line on Amazon. Very good, all around $100 for very decent units. I have two, one is about a month old, the other about 8 months. So far so good. Simple, easy to use, and decent video.

I was using my smart phone via "daily roads" app and then "autogaurd pro" app. Both are very good if you typically dock your phone on your windshield, autogaurd pro is better. Might as well have it do some work while its hanging there!

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Romer1 wrote:
Hmmmm, kinda got away from original question--

Which ones are good and how do you have them mounted- at top of windshield or on dash?

Mine is mounted at the top of the windshield with the power cord routed across the top of the windshield, down the A pillar and connected to an ignition activated power source.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm, kinda got away from original question--

Which ones are good and how do you have them mounted- at top of windshield or on dash?
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Great Chicago visit and music we stay in Chicago last week on the way to pick up MH in Wisc. Where did you stay on the lake?
Chicago is a great place to visit, but very RV unfriendly.