cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Motorhome

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
if I can talk my wife into it, I think I might buy a nice used diesel and getting rid of our 1990 34' MH. I've been following a thread talking about the diesels having better quality cabinets and other things. One thing I notice is cabinets since I'm a ex cabinet maker and many cabinets I see are pure junk except the doors and they are just ok. What do you guys think of this Newmar and it's price? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Newmar-Mountain-Aire-4064-Class-A-Motorhome-35000-Miles-/221476644163?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3391096543&item=221476644163&pt=RVs_Campers
38 REPLIES 38

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
bluwtr49 wrote:
mike brez wrote:
One thing my next coach will not have is oak.

Wondering why that is...just out of curiosity.

Mike, is it the color of the oak? Generally, I've always seen oak in lighter shades. Personally, I like a deeper stained wood like cherry or walnut but oak is certainly a nice wood.

Mark

X2 my next coach will have darker cherry or walnut. I ripped out all our oak at home and replaced with cherry I couldent stand looking at it anymore.

I prefer dark wood like cherry or walnut as well. But......I opted for maple in my coach....after looking at both, the darker woods just made the interior too, well...dark! So, I compromised...nice maple but its lighter..

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a 2015 Newmar Canyon Star 3610. First gasser I've had in a long time coming from a 2000 Monaco and then 2006 Winnebago Journey . The build quality on this unit is amazing. Gas motor homes have come a long way.

bukib
Explorer
Explorer
As an Airstream Land Yacht owner I can assure you that everything, especially cabinetry, is of superior quality. My LY is a diesel pusher with 84,600 miles and has never caused a problem in 5 years. The coach is a 93 by the way which I bought as a collector unit to match with one of my cars. Love it!

southpark
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I don't know much about Newmar cabinets, but IIRC all-wood cabinets in the Monaco coach line of the '04-'08ish era started with the Camelot and on up.

I've seen a lot of great deals on '04 and up Dynasty models that would not only include real wood cabinets, but a great S-Series chassis and four slides. If, like me, you live out west I would try to spring for an Executive, Signature, or HR Navigator with a bigger engine to get over the hills.

Country Coach and Foretravel also offer good custom chassis and nice wood work. If I were in your shoes I would be looking at an Executive, Signature, Navigator, CC Magna or Affinity, or Foretravel Nimbus or Phenix. Mostly because I prefer the chassis and way they were constructed -- steel framed houses, vacuum bonded walls, etc. Though I don't own one, if you can afford it I would focus on a Foretravel.

If your budget requires it, just buy a bit older. You'll not likely get four slides, but you can still get quality. And that's what I would focus on. Buy a good foundation that will last and has been well maintained. There is an issue with bulkhead separation with some older Foretravels so do check with the factory to make sure it's been addressed if you go that route.

Everyone has their biases and most tend to speak up for what they bought -- until they trade it in of course ๐Ÿ˜‰ And beware of anecdotal stories. It seems most everyone has built a dog at one point or another. What you should focus on is how they were, in general, made and ensure to the extent you can that the one you plan to buy was not made on the Friday before a holiday.

That includes sending fluids out to be tested. You can buy kits that will allow you to take a fluid sample and get it tested. What is going on, right down to what metallic particles are in the engine oil, can actually reveal a great deal about what's going on in the engine. I would prefer to take and deal with the sample myself rather than take the word of the person trying to sell me something.

If you feel you have to act quickly to get a too good to be true deal please have the strength to walk away. Chances are you'll be dollars ahead in the long run if you don't let yourself be rushed.

Finally, I personally wouldn't bother too much with Ebay. Consider trying rvonline.com, rvtrader.com, and rvdeals.net

Good luck with your search and I hope this helps in some way.

BUTCHPHI
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Air beautiful motorhome.

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
SpurHntr wrote:
Deano56 wrote:
what is the best to the least in Newmar coaches, I'm having a hard time with the Kountry Star, Mountain Air, Dutch Star

Mountain aire better than Dutch star better than kountry star

Unless you can find an optioned out 08 kountry star, which essentially is a Dutch star and IMO precisely why they dropped the kountry star line since those two models became a similar price point coach.
ok, thanks

SpurHntr
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
what is the best to the least in Newmar coaches, I'm having a hard time with the Kountry Star, Mountain Air, Dutch Star

Mountain aire better than Dutch star better than kountry star

Unless you can find an optioned out 08 kountry star, which essentially is a Dutch star and IMO precisely why they dropped the kountry star line since those two models became a similar price point coach.
'08 Newmar Kountry Star 3916, 400ISL Cummins
'17 F250 Diesel Platty SRW Crew 6.75' bed
'17 JKU Rubicon Recon, LoD flat towable Destroyer bumper.
Blue Ox, BB, PP TPMS, Ranger EV

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
mike brez wrote:

Eating crow. I have oak again it's stained on the darker side.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
Walnut is beautiful as well as cherry but probably wont be in my 75K cap price range.

We gave less than that for ours, solid cherry. They look hand rubbedโ€ฆ.with a bit of lemon oil they look about 4" deep.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
bluwtr49 wrote:
mike brez wrote:

Mike, is it the color of the oak? Generally, I've always seen oak in lighter shades. Personally, I like a deeper stained wood like cherry or walnut but oak is certainly a nice wood.

Mark

X2 my next coach will have darker cherry or walnut. I ripped out all our oak at home and replaced with cherry I couldent stand looking at it anymore.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
John S. wrote:
You can find a nice late 90s Foretravel that will have great cabinets and is either walnut or cherry.
has to have slides or at least living are slide, thats on the wifes list, I'll check this out

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, if I really could afford it I would buy our neighbors daughter and son in law's 2003 Country Coach 45' triple slide with less than 16K miles, it is loaded with custom walnut wood working including a pillar at the desk area. The coach is super clean and they ordered it new. Asking 169,900, last year the started at 229K. The only thing I don't like about it is, that the main are slide are not that deep, maybe 18", but it is like new

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can find a nice late 90s Foretravel that will have great cabinets and is either walnut or cherry.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer