Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dingy towing braking systems

Gamecock7483
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I am new to Motorhome traveling and dingy towing. I am looking for a braking system and two I am considering are the InvisiBrake system by Road Master and the BrakeBuddy Classic. Does anyone have experience with either of these systems or information on which is the better system? Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
22 REPLIES 22

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I find that it is important to go throught the syncronization procedure each time I set up the BB. If you don't have it or the manual I can reprint it for you here.

In addition I press the initial setup button which causes the BB to actuate 5 times. This lets me run to the back of my toad and verify all my brake lights are working.

As I have it set up, the Toad weighs in about 2700 lb and the manual says 40 psi but I find it works better at 45. Also a conversation with the rep says that I should set the sensitivity on level roads at a low setting but on mountainous roads much higher.

I have mine set at 6. When I brake my MH lightly or moderately the BB does not actuate, but a firm pedal will cause the BB to actuate, and the remote light tells me it is working.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
We used a Brake Buddy for about 10 years but because of the small effort required to install and remove the unit, I occasionally skipped the installation on short trips. After a couple of towbar problems, I recognized the liability issues of not having a brake system installed and had Camping World install the Invis-brake.

Unfortunately they installed it on the floor of the back seat because they said it wouldn't fit under the Jeep Liberty seat. Seems to work OK but I regret the choice because of the loss of foot room in the back seat.

In hind sight I should have chosen one of the air operated systems.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:
I have a Brake Buddy and am never sure if it's working. It has the remote that's supposed to light when the brakes come on and the only time it works is when I'm standing next to the toad and the wife applies the MH brakes. The only time it works in the cab is when it's first turned on....

I had the same problem. It wouldn't work in the cig holder in the cab cab of the MH, but if I put it on the passenger seat of the MH, plugged into an inverter pointed out the window it did.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Brake Buddy and am never sure if it's working. It has the remote that's supposed to light when the brakes come on and the only time it works is when I'm standing next to the toad and the wife applies the MH brakes. The only time it works in the cab is when it's first turned on.
Several months ago, we had a problem where the tow bar pulled out of the brackets on the toad and I was pulling the toad by the short safety cable between the toad and the tow bar, not the one from the MH to the cross bar and the safety brake pulled, but wasn't working. Really cute, huh. Opened the door to the toad and no sound from the brake Buddy at all and the pin was on the ground. Was gonna send it back to Brake Buddy, but they wanted me to pay the freight. NO way.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that it is not particularly relevant to the poster but I believe that most modern vehicles are capable of applying their own brakes and for that matter controlling the lights. It seems to me that with enough motivation the factory could offer an adapter cable that would let you plug in a toad the same as any other trailer without all the extra hardware and install issues. I sure would like to have been able to get that for the toad I just bought. I suggested that to Ford customer service and he is going to submit the idea to engineering. I sure that there will be concerns just as there were on doing factory brake controllers but they were overcome. I would have paid several hundred dollars for something that would probably cost them less than $50. Here's hoping that it happens soon!

For what it is worth I am going to install the Ready brake on my toad.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a Brake Buddy Vantage Select on eBay for only $700 and it works great. I did buy a breakaway switch separately.

Once I get parked I put it in front of the pilot seat where it is not in the way.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If I had do overs I would NOT have bought the brake buddy.
I would have bought one of the brands that is in-line braking.

My toad is small. I had to get on my knees to put it in and reach up and affix the brake clamp, press to start up press again to test etc etc. I got REAL tired of having to be on my knees to shove that thing in and out.

Don't know how much you travel but if you are going to be unhooking the toad more than once such as a one time destination weekend trip?

I'd advise to get the in line braking. There are several that forums members swear by. All I know about them is all you have to do is hook up the toad and go.

I was leaving the same time my CG neighbor was and I was still hooking up the Brake Buddy while all the neighboring "DW' did was hook up the toad push a button and 'they' were on they way! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
I have used a Brake Buddy for over 3 years. Had an issue once while we were out of town and they shipped a new one to us at the campground - great customer service. Our just plain works and we like being able to use it in more than one vehicle.

We have used the Brake Buddy starting in 2004. I have had to ship it in for no cost repairs three itmes counting the one I just shipped. Twice they have shipped me a loaner when I was in route. They have always repaired it and the only cost i have had was the shipping this time. They even shipped me free an extra outlet that i installed so I could connect the unit directly to the battery. Twice I have made a mistake and turned the key to far and killed the battery. I do run the car about every three days of towing to charge the battery. I would buy another unit
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
RVi system, easy to install non -invasive system. I have use SMI before and prefer the RVi and they have great customer service!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
SMI
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Yo Gamecock ( I'll not holds that against you ! ). When you determine what system you want, and if it's a self install such as the Brake Buddy or similar, check out EBay as you can pick some up for way less than list price.

Congrats to the Lady Gamcocks ( you do realize how odd that sounds ) on another fine year. Go Tigers!!!

I have been using the RV1Brake system...for 2 yrs and it works well, small enough to store ,easy to put in..less than 5 minutes...great Customer Service..Chuck
GO NOLES AND LADY HUSKIES..(2 kids..2 schools)
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I have SMI's Air Force One and tow my Honda Pilot abd have been very satisfied with it. Easy to connect and gives proportional braking on the Pilot. I would recommend it to anyone that wants great braking system that is easy to connect.
https://smibrake.com/towed-vehicle-braking-systems/air-force-one.php
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
Gamecock7483 wrote:
Hi all,
I am new to Motorhome traveling and dingy towing. I am looking for a braking system and two I am considering are the InvisiBrake system by Road Master and the BrakeBuddy Classic. Does anyone have experience with either of these systems or information on which is the better system? Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

If you what to keep your brakes on your tow, stay away from the InvisiBrake. I was going to pull it off of my 98 Honda Accord and install it on my 2011 Ford Edge but after reading this I changed my mind, real quick. 2 years ago mine did come on once by itself but I did not know what the problem was but after reading this I know now.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/roadmaster-invisibrake-problems-196392.html
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Invisibrake. No problems for 20,000 miles or so but all of a sudden, it applied the brakes. Disconnecting the power to it didn't release the brkes so I had to disconnect the cable to the brake pedal.

I can no longer recommend this brake