cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do gassers offer anything like the DP engine brake

kgard1225
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, looking for a class A but will be in mountainous areas a lot and want to see if there is any type of extra braking available on the gassers. I searched the diesel vs gas posts but see no mention of this big plus on the diesels. Thanks, Ken
49 REPLIES 49

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
We are combining several very different issues:

The mechanical aspects (basically braking HP/weight)-- a matter of physics!

The "driver" aspects. Some can safely drive ANYTHING anywhere. Others with no mountain experience are very different and need a machine that will "forgive" their mistakes. Add to that that there are a lot of drivers with no mechanical background-- who don't even know that you can't use your service brakes to keep speed down on a long descent in ANY heavy vehicle. Who don't know that brake fluid's boiling point drops with age, etc. IMO the driver is the more critical part of the equation.

Bottom line is there is more to the equation than machine alone.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Yes gasoline motorhomes with big engines have lots of power, but man they eat gasoline like crazy. I had a 454 chevy pickup with a big overhead camper. I started climbing the Sierra's from Bishop to Mammoth. It went up easy, but I was almost out of fuel by the time I got to the top of the mountain. LOL! And the Ford 460 was even worse.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
We own what was considered the heaviest gas coach manufactured and haven't had any issues in the mountains going up or down. Take your time enjoy the view and be safe.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
redguard just sent me this as a PM in reference to my post where I said that gasser RV's have no problems in the mountains with either the climb or the descent.

"you obviously have not driven a larger A gasser loaded in the rockies etc as this statement is pure bunk simply put UNTRUE "

I'll let those of you that have driven their gassers in the mountains respond. I have never had a problem with my Monaco gas coach in the Rockies, but I also never had a problem with the diesel coaches I've owned in the mountains.
Apparently he wanted to call me liar in private. Oh well! :B

As the above posts already seem to indicate, gas RV's do fine in the mountains.

As one who has spent most of his life in and around the Rocky Mountains of Northwestern Montana, crossing and recrossing the Continental Divide in everything from a 1946 Ford pickup to a 32 foot Ford V10 motorhome towing a Dodge Ram 1500 pickup to a gas powered military deuce-and-a-half with 2 600 gallon fuel bowsers on it, to a 1951 Ford pickup fully loaded towing a 1963 Corvair, I say meadow muffins and cow pies to that statement.
My gas motorhome has no problem at all on Marias Pass, Homestake Pass, or Monida Pass.
My previous Class C with the Ford 460 in it didn't either, towing a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one option for supplemental braking. 🙂

Unfortunately, it also works going uphill.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, that's a good idea, but then you're going to have to convince them that HP means more than torque.

Never. Gonna. Happen. :B
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
The gasser grade brake does more than just downshift. It also locks the torque converter, so the engine speed is more directly coupled to the trans. They also completely shut off the fuel, which increase the engine load further. Is it as effective as a exhaust brake? No, but it is adequate.

Do they report HP for this feature

Cummins reports hp for various engines. It gets back to weight/hp and this may show a quantitative value for the effectiveness.

I would expect it to work well enough, but the calculation would quantify it for nonbelievers
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
On a gasoline motorhome just shift down in the gears and it works just as good as a Jake brake.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mean to be critical of people driving on flat land most of their RVing life. Many of them know how to ascend and descend mountain grades from their trips. However, if someone is out shopping for RVs and talked to a sales person I'm sure they will try to sell you the biggest diesel on the lot. Nothing wrong with diesels but gassers will get you there also. I drive over several steep passes in Wyoming several times a year with my V10. Never had a problem. Hauled cattle in a goose neck over these passes with my V10 PU with no problem. If you have never driven mountain passes in anything but a small vehicle you need to be aware of how to drive a large vehicle down these grades. It requires a little more skill than zipping in and out of traffic and using your brakes down the grade. In a large vehicle you will burn up your brakes if you don't know how to descend a grade properly. Believe it or not some of the best info available is in your driving manual. Well, probably not in states with no hills. :S

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
kgard1225 wrote:
Hi, looking for a class A but will be in mountainous areas a lot and want to see if there is any type of extra braking available on the gassers. I searched the diesel vs gas posts but see no mention of this big plus on the diesels. Thanks, Ken

I usually stick my hand out the window

This works well if you have the DW hold the coach door open at the same time.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
If crossing Teton pass, a 10% grade, with a 39ft MH and toad, counts there is no problem with a large gas MH. The grade brake is a big help. it saves the brakes going down. Plenty of power going up.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
The gasser grade brake does more than just downshift. It also locks the torque converter, so the engine speed is more directly coupled to the trans. They also completely shut off the fuel, which increase the engine load further. Is it as effective as a exhaust brake? No, but it is adequate.
IRV2

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
redguard just sent me this as a PM in reference to my post where I said that gasser RV's have no problems in the mountains with either the climb or the descent.

"you obviously have not driven a larger A gasser loaded in the rockies etc as this statement is pure bunk simply put UNTRUE "

I'll let those of you that have driven their gassers in the mountains respond. I have never had a problem with my Monaco gas coach in the Rockies, but I also never had a problem with the diesel coaches I've owned in the mountains.

If central Colorado counts we were there not long ago. No problem.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
kgard1225 wrote:

I usually stick my hand out the window
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III