cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do mattress toppers make that much of a difference.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or should I consider a new mattress. It came in our 09 Cambria.
28 REPLIES 28

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with all comments above. Best upgrade we did to our 5th.
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great
Original Owner- Lawrence Marshall Ford - Hempsted, Tx. (Closed 2009)
SCT, SG2, Deletes, Pyro, Free Flowing Exhaust, Timbrens, ELC & Filter

2011 Keystone Laredo 245RL

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
topper works for me very good.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you have an RV (short) queen? We ordered ours from a mattress place - Sleep Country Canada - in the RV queen size. Many of their regular mattresses can be ordered in that size. That way we could have the same mattress in our house, our ski cabin and our RV. Nice to be able to have a similar sleep experience in all 3 "homes".

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna get clobbered over this however, we put a couple different foam toppers on our queen bed in the fiver. For us...not only did they add unnecessary height, but were way to warm.

Bit the bullet and bought the mattress of choice and never looked back. Ordered it from Camping World on sale. Went to couple of custom mattress factories who wanted significantly more than CW.

Absolutely no complaints on new one!

Just FWIW

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same mattress that came when we bought the new RV some 12 years ago. We use a foam topper and have replaced it every few years. I trim it to the same size as the mattress and it doesn't seem to move around at all.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
YES. The simplest thing to do is get rid of the mattress and buy a 6-8" foam mattress.

I would NOT want to be sleeping on someone else's 7 year old mattress. YUCK.

I chuckled at your comment, I guess you never stay in hotels. Do a search on how often hotels change theirs. I purchased the coach from the original owners and it was used very little.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
clarkster wrote:
How do you keep a foam topper from shifting around?..

I went with a mattress protector like having a fitted sheet over it. It keeps the foam topper from moving,I went with the waterproof one,no telling what the Grandkids will do :B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I would want a new mattress but I can also vouch for the mattress toppers. My mattress is foam but very firm so I added a 2inch topper. Now it's perfect. I got the topper first to lay over the dinette bed which is made up from the dinette cushions. It worked great there so I tried it on the rear bed. Then I got one for my bed at home. So I'm a believer.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes a topper works. It is worth a try. We use one on a ten year old Rv mattress, and on our 15 year old latex house mattress. Great comfort now. Buy

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
How do you keep a foam topper from shifting around?..
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They really do make an incredible difference. Our TT had a super cheapo mattress but a 2" topper made it feel great.
A couple of caveats though; The topper was always trying to move around and it also shrank a bit so that it didn't cover that last 3" of the sides of the old mattress.
We eventually bought a high quality 10" thick memory foam mattress from an on-line store that specialized in RV mattresses.
If it were me, I would spring for a new one in a used rig.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
A new mattress may be the way to go,but I found that it was really hard to find one to try out first,it is the short Queen.

My RV came with a brand new mattress,still wrapped from Mfg. but it was really hard and I looked at getting another one but instead went with a Foam Topper

It made all the difference in the world,it is the best sleep I have had away from home.It doesn't make you hot like some I have slept on,it breathes really well. Cheaper than a new mattress and no trying to get that old one out and a new one in.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Get rid of the mattress, and get a foam one. If necessary, a foam one can be cut off to fit the RV bed better. Use the cut-off to make pillows or roll cushions.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES. The simplest thing to do is get rid of the mattress and buy a 6-8" foam mattress.

I would NOT want to be sleeping on someone else's 7 year old mattress. YUCK.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board