cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you exercise your generator in the winter?

AndyW
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you exercise your generator monthly during the winter? Obviously this only applies to those who have to winterize and store your unit...

I bought my first RV right at the end of the season last year, and figured I'd winterize the engine and generator the same way I've done every other gasoline engine I've owned (including, ironically, generators). Fill the fuel tank, add fuel stabilizer, run for 30 minutes, park it, then pull the batteries to store indoors. In spring, charge and re-install the batteries, start, and run until warm. Never had a problem leaving something sit unused for up to 6 months with this approach.

Now every time I read that generators are supposed to be run every month I feel that I'm not taking proper care of my stuff. Unnecessary cold starts in the dead of winter can't be the best for engine longevity either. What does everyone else do?
58 REPLIES 58

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
What about the farming equipment? Combines are only used a couple of months a year. Most tractors set all winter.

jeffengle
Explorer
Explorer
Do you guys startup your lawn mowers in the dead of winter at 10 degrees?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
You may want to inform ONAN about that. My ONAN manual says the reason to run the generator at at 1/2 power is to dry out the windings.

I've never seen such a statement, the manual for my Onan KY says;

"Exercising a genset drives off moisture, re-lubricates the engine, replaces stale fuel in fuel lines and carburetor and removes oxides from electrical contacts and generator slip rings. The result is better starting, more reliable operation and longer engine life."

Of course that's Onan, Honda says to just drain the fuel from the carb and leave it alone, so does Hyundai, Yanmar, Kubote and Kholer. In fact I couldn't find a single other manufacturer that said a generator needs to be 'exercised.

But then they don't have the dependability issues that Onan has either.

Maybe that paragraph was written at the behest of the lawyers and bean-counters?

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
See page 9 of this ONAN manual

ONAN User Manual

That pretty much says it all, although I am sure there are those who disagree with the MANUFACTURER.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
See page 9 of this ONAN manual

ONAN User Manual
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Michigan_RV_er
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I start mine monthly... But I also have 3 ATV's and a compact diesel tractor. So I make the rounds and start them all. Although I wasn't aware I should be putting a load on the generator!

I get worried about the ethanol gas in my generator. From what I understand, ethanol gas is harder on small engines than car/truck engines. I have a station near me that sells 100% gasoline but it's almost twice as expensive as ethanol gas. Since my generator runs off of the main fuel tank, it's not feasible to fill the entire rig with the 100% gasoline un fortunately.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Yes exercise it every month. I use motorhome all year long but may not use generator every month. Primary concern is carb deposits. These things are long overdue for fuel injection.

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I added a switch to the electric fuel pump. Now when I know that I'm not going to use it again for quite some time I run it for a while to get it warm, then turn the fuel pump off and let it run out of gas. Been doing that for several years.

I do the same thing, Dusty. Love technology that makes my life easier. I have mine do a reminder on the day that it is due, and then I will have it set an alert 3 days later. I figure that within 3 days, I should be able to get an opportunity to hang out at the RV for a little bit while the genny runs. I use the opportunity to check for leaks (Luckily, I haven't found any so far), straighten up if anything needs it, or run a clorox wipe over the counters and bathroom. When it's not cold enough to run the heater in the RV, I run the vacuum to put a load on the generator. I do this every month since I just recently dropped $700 on a new carburetor for the genny. I'll also run the engine for at least 30 minutes while I'm there.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may want to inform ONAN about that. My ONAN manual says the reason to run the generator at at 1/2 power is to dry out the windings.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
PSW wrote:
I am not so worried about the gas going bad as I am oxidization on the generator innards.

The biggest cause of rust on the inside is the cold damp air being pulled in as a hot motor and the generator section cool down.

The more times you heat it up and let it cool down again the more moisture there is being sucked in.

busguy22
Explorer
Explorer
Since winterizing we've been running ours every month for about an hour or so with the furnace on as well as a few of the interior lights. Filled the fuel tank before winterizing and added a bottle of fuel stabilizer.
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31 DS

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Once a month with a load.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Gunner45
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Yup, once a month, turn on the 1500W heater, the two lights that I have left that haven't been converted to LED, the TV & DVD, put in a movie & occasionally put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, and kick back. The dog loves it. ( Or maybe it's just the popcorn he loves) :B

Our 15 yr old goes out and plays playstation in ours when we are doing our monthly generator run 🙂

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I run mine with the heat strips on the AC to give it a load two hours a month. I take the rig out of the storage garage, fire it up, drive up the road about 20 miles to a town, eat a burger or a little BBQ while the Cruiser sets in the parking lot with the gen running. Drive back and put it in the garage.

I am not so worried about the gas going bad as I am oxidization on the generator innards. AND, I figure it is good exercise for the vehicle as well AND I fill it up with gas before I put it up each month just to make sure there is no room in the tank for moisture to form.

Now, this may seem like overkill to some but it lets me enjoy driving my rig during the off use months and is my little insurance policy against a possible generator repair bill and those are not inexpensive. A grand and the hassle for Onan repair or a burger and fries. No question which I prefer!!
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

JNorton
Explorer
Explorer
Its a gas engine. Mine is parked in a field during winter and can be impossible to get to unless you like going over snow drifts. I think a lot of this is overthought. I run mine every month in the summer and let it set in the winter.
2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31W E450 V10