cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic model RM 2332 Frost Buildup

Metaphor_7182
Explorer
Explorer
Most recent trip I noticed frost build up starting at the edge of the freezer compartment door. Just reading that this is also a concern for the cooling fins. Looked the up small fans similar to this setand am considering a purchase.

Got this suggestion on frost buildup from another forum: Cooling numbers go from 1 to 9 with 9 being the coldest. We usually run it on 5 or 6 and when the frost builds up we turn it down two numbers overnight, let's say from 6 to 4 or sometimes even 3.

What is the better way to keep the frost buildup level down or is it a personal preference? :@
Thx
9 REPLIES 9

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
Metaphor 7182 wrote:
loving retirement wrote:
Metaphor 7182 wrote:
Most recent trip I noticed frost build up starting at the edge of the freezer compartment door. Just reading that this is also a concern for the cooling fins...

What is the better way to keep the frost buildup level down or is it a personal preference? :@
Thx

Could be that the door that is causing the frost build up is not the outside fridge door but possibly the inside freezer compartment door that is not sealing completely. Once I fixed my freezer compartment door and made sure it closed completely my frost build up disappeared.

LR
How did you repair the door?
The freezer compartment gasket is good; the door has a spring-loaded piano hinge that I’d prefer being a bit stronger for a tighter close. Not clear on how to tighten that up or if it’s even possible.

My freezer door does not have a piano hinge, but is spring-loaded on either side. It would have been very difficult to remove the freezer door so I attempted to improve the spring return by shooting some WD-40 into the two pivot points and it worked.

Metaphor_7182
Explorer
Explorer
loving retirement wrote:
Metaphor 7182 wrote:
Most recent trip I noticed frost build up starting at the edge of the freezer compartment door. Just reading that this is also a concern for the cooling fins...

Thx

Could be that the door that is causing the frost build up is not the outside fridge door but possibly the inside freezer compartment door that is not sealing completely. Once I fixed my freezer compartment door and made sure it closed completely my frost build up disappeared.

LR
How did you repair the door?
The freezer compartment gasket is good; the door has a spring-loaded piano hinge that I’d prefer being a bit stronger for a tighter close. Not clear on how to tighten that up or if it’s even possible.

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
Metaphor 7182 wrote:

Thx

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Tatest wrote:
we dealt once again with defrosting our European refrigerator because the rest of the world chooses not to pay the energy costs of frost-free home refrigeration

Times certainly have changed since 2001.Frost free is pretty universally common.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having grown up in summer-humid Michigan with fridges before "frost free" (first one had the compressor in the basement, before that was an ice box) my experience is that the best way to manage frost buildup is to defrost (a manual process, remove the goods, let it warm up and melt the ice) frequently.

A generation has become spoiled by "frost free" which is really "the frost is hidden and we frequently defrost and let the water run into a tray, but you don't ever see it." I think we got our first "frost free" fridge in 1982, then when we moved to China in 2001 we dealt once again with defrosting our European refrigerator because the rest of the world chooses not to pay the energy costs of frost-free home refrigeration.

Put thermometers in your fridge and freezer, set "cooling number" to maintain safe temperatures. Turning the fridge up/down to prevent or manage frost is just setting yourself up for earlier spoilage and possible food poisoning.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Br-
Explorer
Explorer
I've never tried this fix, but talked with another camper last year about gasket leaks around the fridge door and he swore by it. He said to roll a piece of paper about the size of a pencil and put it between the folds of the gasket where it might be leaking. Then heat the area with a hair dryer. Make sure the door stays closed for about 4-5 hours and the gasket should reform itself and make a good seal.

Worth a try.
Bruce & Sue
2007 pleasure-way excel-ts
Previously owned:'02 Trail-lite B+

Metaphor_7182
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas, will be checking the seals too.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frost build up at edge of freezer door.......door seal leaking

The fans you have linked are for air movement in food section for more even temps.
They work pretty good.

But frost build up..........that's due to warm air getting into fridge.
Normally from just opening/closing door. But excessive, forming quickly and at the front edge is from leaking door seals
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
That one will work fine. I like this one as it has an on-off switch and has grills. Almost same price.

Fridge fan

Or this one that makes wiring very simple....
Fridge fan 2
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand