cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers license requirements going state to state

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived in Texas, I had a Class B drivers license because my RV weighs more than 26,000 pounds. That required passing a written test and a driving test.

When we moved to another state, they did not require or offer a similar license for driving our personal Motorhome because in this state, personal Motorhomes are exempt from the requirements for driving commercial vehicles.

We plan to return to Texas for a wedding, and will be traveling in our RV.

Am I legal driving our Motorhome in Texas with my home state license, or does Texas require me to have the Class B license again even though it's not available to me in my current state of residence unless I go through the entire commercial drivers license test, physical exam, etc?

Where would I find this information in the Texas motor vehicle code?

44 REPLIES 44

dpsdebi7
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a retired manager from TX DPS Driver License and Texas has reciprocity with all other states. A resident of Texas is required to obtain a Texas Class B for motor homes over 26,000 lbs. It is not a CDL, but exempts the vehicle from CDL laws. We call them Class B Exempts for lack of any other name.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Those topics keep on coming every few months and the truth is that there is no short answer.
When RV are generally exempt from CDL, some states require non-commercial ClassB or whatever, some states require special licence for >40' motorhome, some have endorsement for air brakes, some for dual trailers.
To top it, all those laws change every few years and even if you did something last year, doesn't mean it has to apply today.
Bottom line >>> for legal questions call your state DMV.
In CA DMV usually has 1 hr hold, but they make convenient call-back so you don't have to spend an hr with phone to your ear.

no short answer?? BS;; the short answer is like the 2+3 posts here 2 pages back.U simply use the DL of the state you live in and can drive all us states and cdn provinces pretty simple when u think about it

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Those topics keep on coming every few months and the truth is that there is no short answer.
When RV are generally exempt from CDL, some states require non-commercial ClassB or whatever, some states require special licence for >40' motorhome, some have endorsement for air brakes, some for dual trailers.
To top it, all those laws change every few years and even if you did something last year, doesn't mean it has to apply today.
Bottom line >>> for legal questions call your state DMV.
In CA DMV usually has 1 hr hold, but they make convenient call-back so you don't have to spend an hr with phone to your ear.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
In Washington State there are no current laws governing RV's. Washington State recognizes an any other States license.

yup as mentioned on page one

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
In Washington State there are no current laws governing RV's. Washington State recognizes an any other States license.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Trumpet Player wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
I assume the MH is also licensed in your new home state? If so, you are legal to drive it in any state and Canada, Mexico. Only thing you need to worry about are speed laws.

What does the state of vehicle registration have to do with it? Using that theory, rental vehicles/cars would be a problem for everyone.

everything in the world difference the rental cars not in your name the motor home most likely is.the rental car your kinda of borrowing the motor home your not
don't know about US but in Canada (eg)you cant drive a private BC plated vehicle (in your own name) with a alberta drivers licence and vice versa legally

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Google search... reciprocity of driver's license. Cannot post a link because the link has a percent sign in it.

Say what? Try using the green link tab above your composition, if you haven't already done so.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I assume the MH is also licensed in your new home state? If so, you are legal to drive it in any state and Canada, Mexico. Only thing you need to worry about are speed laws.

What does the state of vehicle registration have to do with it? Using that theory, rental vehicles/cars would be a problem for everyone.
2012 American Coach Revolution

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
msmith1199 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
In 37 years in Texas as a Motorhome Service Tech, I have never heard or had a customer get a ticket with just a standard Drivers License. Even when driving over 26k motorhomes. Doug

Is it actually required in Texas? In California a Class B license is also required to drive a vehicle over 26k GVWR. But if you check the fine print there is a little provision in there that exempts RV's. I have spoken with people who didn't realize RV's were exempt from that weight section.

What about in CA......
MHs over 40' but under 45'
MHs over 45'?
Trailers over 10,000#/5th wheels over 15,000#?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Is it actually required in Texas?

It is. I just went through that after changing residence to TX. While the details can be found in the statutes and such, here is the application for a non-CDL Class A or B exempt license. Note item 4 where you certify that you will be driving an RV over 26,000 lbs.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CDL-2.pdf
Roaming Full Timer

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
In 37 years in Texas as a Motorhome Service Tech, I have never heard or had a customer get a ticket with just a standard Drivers License. Even when driving over 26k motorhomes. Doug

Is it actually required in Texas? In California a Class license is also required to drive a vehicle over 26k GVWR. But if you check the fine print there is a little provision in there that exempts RV's. I have spoken with people who didn't realize RV's were exempt from that weight section.

Yes, in Texas, a Class B exempt is required for over 26k GVWR.

Agree, VERY unlikely that one would be stopped for a license check.

But (no read that a BIG BUT) if involved in an accident, would sure not want to be driving a rig for which I was not licensed.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Is it actually required in Texas? In California a Class B license is also required to drive a vehicle over 26k GVWR. But if you check the fine print there is a little provision in there that exempts RV's. I have spoken with people who didn't realize RV's were exempt from that weight section.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
What about the ones out of a Cracker Jack box? You see a lot of those!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Drivers licenses are reciprocal in the US for the time being.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The rule on driving across state lines is this:

If the license you have is the proper license for operating of your Motor home/RV on the street where your legal residence is.. You are legal in the United States. The fact you used to live in the great state of Taxes, (And still do, let me correct that, The Great state of Texas) makes no difference. You are legal "At home" you are legal in Dallas.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times