cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drivers license requirements

Raider-Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE. California requires a non-commercial class B license for motorhomes over 40ft. The Fleetwood brochure list the "bumper to bumper" length as 40'11" . In the same brochure both models 40J and 40L are listed as 39'11" overall length. All three models are riding on the spartan liberty chassis. For licensing purposes what length controls, the model designation or measured length?

I appreciate feedback from someone knowledgeable about this subject

Thank you
2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE
2012 Chevrolet Sonic W/Blue Ox Tow Bar
2008 BMW GS1200
2004 VTX 1800R
61 REPLIES 61

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
All of this conflicting info is exactly my point in a previous post. Seasoned Rv'ers - let alone vague and conflicting laws make it very difficult to know for sure. You think a LEO pulling you over will know and if they did check all parameters? My guess is no.
2013 ACE 29.2

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
discovery4us wrote:
non-commercial class B for 40' but not exceed 45'
non commercial class B for any motorhouse (2 axle) over 26,000 lbs.

non-commercial class A deals with trailer and truck combos over 10,000 lbs., triple axles, FW, and more.

No, on the 26,000 pound limit. Motorhomes are specifically exempted from that section. That applies to trucks.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raider-Rider wrote:
We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE. California requires a non-commercial class B license for motorhomes over 40ft. The Fleetwood brochure list the "bumper to bumper" length as 40'11" . In the same brochure both models 40J and 40L are listed as 39'11" overall length. All three models are riding on the spartan liberty chassis. For licensing purposes what length controls, the model designation or measured length?

I appreciate feedback from someone knowledgeable about this subject

Thank you

In California the length is actually measured two different ways depending on the vehicle code. For drivers license the 40 foot is the actual tape measure length of the body not including mirrors or bumpers or ladder. Motorhomes generally don't have much of a bumper anyway. For the law dealing with 40 foot length restrictions on roads, it is the bumper to bumper length as well as any cargo or racks attached to the vehicle. So if you were in a 38 foot motorhome with a bike rack on the back making it 41 feet, you could still drive it with a Class C, but you could not operate it on a road that is restricted to 40 feet and under. I have no idea how picky CHP would actually get on something like that.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Some states such as Nv require an endorsement or class A to pull a trlr with a gvwr of 10k or more.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Norman wrote:
Doing a little research on CDL requirement here in NJ. Our question is: do I need a CDL if my trailer in over 10,000 pounds but my combined vehicle, truck and trailer is UNDER 26,000 pounds? Specifically Commercial use, not for my RV.

If total GVWR is 26K or less no CDL. The +10K trailer is the break point between needing a class B or a class A
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
non-commercial class B for 40' but not exceed 45'
non commercial class B for any motorhouse (2 axle) over 26,000 lbs.

non-commercial class A deals with trailer and truck combos over 10,000 lbs., triple axles, FW, and more.

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
A non-commercial, Class B license will cover you in any RV up to 45' and any combination up to 65'.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim Norman wrote:
Doing a little research on CDL requirement here in NJ. Our question is: do I need a CDL if my trailer in over 10,000 pounds but my combined vehicle, truck and trailer is UNDER 26,000 pounds? Specifically Commercial use, not for my RV.

No. A CDL is not required if the combined weight is not more than 26,000 pounds (unless there is some other criteria that forces one to have a class C CDL, such as carrying hazardous materials or having seats for more than fifteen persons including the driver).

I could, in theory, tow a 22,000+ pound trailer behind my Honda Fit without needing a CDL, but would have to have a class A CDL to tow it with any sane tow vehicle.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
You do not need training to get a CDL, i skimmed through the handbbok and went and took the tests.

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer

Now this said in doing my research while I have NOT found an answer to the above I have found that NJ SPECIFICALLY EXEMPTS RVs from the CDL requirement. I could drive a 40 foot 50,000 pound Truck Conversion and tow a stacker trailer weighing in at 30,000 pounds with noting more than the same license my 20 YO daughter has to drive her Honda Civic AND with less training!

No I am not advocating that the government step in and require training or a license. I'd hope that most people intelligent enough to earn enough money to buy a big rig would also be smart enough to know that they don't know and avail them selves of some training on their own. Yeah, like that will happen.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
3882DOUG wrote:
3882DOUG wrote:

Does the same reciprocity that applies to licensing also apply to coach length and overall length laws and do state length laws apply to the interstate roads in that state?

Length laws apply to all vehicles equally in the state regardless of where they come from. If the maximum combined length is limited to, say, 70' for any combination, that will be true even if a longer combination is legal in some other states, including the one where it is registered. It's no different than other traffic laws like speed limits or bridge weight limits. Trailer equipment laws are also somewhat variable, and apply to all trailers regardless of registration or origin. (The main equipment laws in question relate to when or if trailer brakes are required.)

State length (and other traffic and vehicle) laws do apply to Interstates, but the state laws in that case are in practice always the same as federal standards for the Interstate highways as they would lose a substantial amount of Federal highway money if they differed.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's worth having for a few reasons, primarily being that your Rv seems to qualify for the requirement. But also, you can learn a lot in the education required for it. As far as if a LEO ever asks for it, I would be shocked if a LEO even knew it was required. Most states are so vague on the topic and even seasoned Rver's can't come to a rock solid conclusion that says you'll be cited if you don't have it that I doubt if a LEO would ever try and measure the length and even if they did would cite you. Lots of doom and gloom about being at fault if you don't have it in an accident. I seriously question if liability can be a default judgment if you possess a valid license but the class is different unless it could be proven that the lack of the certain class lead to the cause of the accident. You hear all this talk about lawyers waiting to get this info, well there are defense attorneys also and if he can obtain documentation that it's 1" shorter than it's a moot point. All that said, I would get it if I had a 40' DP. I mean, why not?
2013 ACE 29.2

3882DOUG
Explorer
Explorer
3882DOUG wrote:

Do the state requirements everyone is talking about apply for driving on interstates also or just for state and county roads?

They apply for driving on any roads in the US. You only need to worry about the licensing requirements for your home state, though, and that license is valid for all the states as there is reciprocity. You never need to get a different or additional license to drive on any roads in another state, provided the vehicle itself is permitted on the roads in question.

(Actually, there may be a few odd cases involving such cases as agricultural vehicles or intrastate commercial vehicles where this general rule breaks down, but it holds for all ordinary personal driving and for CDLs.)

Does the same reciprocity that applies to licensing also apply to coach length and overall length laws and do state length laws apply to the interstate roads in that state?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
3882DOUG wrote:
Do the state requirements everyone is talking about apply for driving on interstates also or just for state and county roads?

They apply for driving on any roads in the US. You only need to worry about the licensing requirements for your home state, though, and that license is valid for all the states as there is reciprocity. You never need to get a different or additional license to drive on any roads in another state, provided the vehicle itself is permitted on the roads in question.

(Actually, there may be a few odd cases involving such cases as agricultural vehicles or intrastate commercial vehicles where this general rule breaks down, but it holds for all ordinary personal driving and for CDLs.)

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The non commercial class "B" is worth having. You will be surprised at what you learn. It might save your life. (or mine)

Terry
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.