cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving home my point

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
Just brought home our 2014 bounder 35k.:):)It has lots of power and rides quite well and can move along fairly quickly ,all things considered.
On the other side of that coin,I like to cruise when I go RVing.I'm the one you hate cause he drives at the speed limit-in an Chevy express van...so now I get to cruise in something a bit more substantial (awesome,big,road hogging,pain ,giving us all a bad name,gas guzzling,etc.).
My point is should we feel compelled to drive faster and be less fuel efficient,risk our own safety and be more of a liability on the road in a vehicle which people perceive as always a slower type of traveler?Ultimately we will not go fast enough to please many drivers no matter how quickly we go-going faster puts more people at risk whereas keeping the speed down is better for everyone in the overall...
How do you drive your rig and do you think I'm wrong?
38 REPLIES 38

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Most folks find it annoying to be behind something they can't see beyond. You yourself likely feel the same way when driving an ordinary car. I know I do.

When driving an RV, learn to "yield".
Always be prepared to let the guy behind you pass.
Sit back, enjoy the trip, and let the rat race go on without you!

This, and I'm typically doing 65 on 75mph interstates other than that I generally drive the speed limit but not over it when towing. Just too much trailer behind me to be messing around.

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Most folks find it annoying to be behind something they can't see beyond. You yourself likely feel the same way when driving an ordinary car. I know I do.

Great advice! On two lane highways look for opportunites to let others pass when you have a line of traffic behind you. It makes it safer for all! I try to spread coutesy when ever I am driving the RV or car. We also motorcycle and I am amazed when a RV is backing up 10 vehicles and will never take a moment to pull off and let traffic clear.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Never rush ,never drive fast. Our final destination is a permanent one (if you get my meaning). So don't be in a rush to get there and don't let anyone else get you there faster.
For anyone that did not get my meaning. My Mom use to say, slow down, death is your final destination, you in a hurry to get there?
I am not, so they can give me a dirty look and go around me. As someone else said I think most expect us to just mosey on down the road.
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
You are not wrong. I drive the speed limit and if on an interstate with a slow lane and a fast lane I will be in the slow lane setting about 65 mph. I am seldom there by myself yet will pass some vehicles as well. I think for a 40 ft motor home towing a full sized 4 door truck that it is a safe speed and those who want to drive faster can pass. If I am on a two Lane mountain road I drive at what I think is a safe speed and if traffic builds up behind me I pull over when I find space to do so. I am not going to try to keep up with the many cars, some driving the speed limit and some exceeding it in that situation. You know better what is safe and have a responsibility to be safe.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
Double Nickle - that's me!! OK - on the Interstate's at 55 in the right lane, the truckers and fast drivers can go around, no sweat. In passing thru the metro areas, I'm in the middle lane and I'll fight to stay there. The fast one's go to the left side and I avoid the blind (or so it seems) mergers from the on-ramps.
(What is is about drivers in (usually smaller) cars that they have a 'need' to get on the road ahead of a big 'ole Class A 40 ft Moho??

On a recent trip, I had a merging driver from an on-ramp get along side of me (I was planning to exit the next ramp) and then honk and wave as I did not stop in the right lane to let him in as I made my exit!! He (young guy) actually went around me on the right as I was moving to my exit ramp!!!
Candidates for a future Darwin Award!!!
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We are seldom in a hurry so we go about 65mph in a 70 zone. Stay in the right lane except to pass. Noticed many big rigs do the same. Less stress on the navigator!!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not only No, but HEEL NO....

The speed limit is supposed to be a speed limit. Unless there is a posted minimum, you get to drive what ever speed you like*.
* Some places have Impeding laws.

We seldom exceed 60 even on the 70 roads and when we are in Ohio, we do 50 on the turnpike just to annoy them. The troopers there do target out of state plates.

If you are not in a hurry, there is no reason on God's green earth that you should rush just because other people are in a hurry. It is a considerate thing to do to not cause too big a tail-back. The only place I know that has laws about that is Alaska, but they only have 2 lane roads in most of the state.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Roadglider09
Explorer
Explorer
2 things I've learned driving an RV:

1. No one expects you to go fast.
2. People will get out of your way.

There's more than one lane on the highway - they can pass if they want to. For 2 lane roads - suck it up; i pay taxes too, and prefer to drive safe.
Michael & Donna
Little Ones Becky & Karen
Deland, FL
2012 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Couple of Harleys (when not pulling the Jeep!)