cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving home my point

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
Just brought home our 2014 bounder 35k.:):)It has lots of power and rides quite well and can move along fairly quickly ,all things considered.
On the other side of that coin,I like to cruise when I go RVing.I'm the one you hate cause he drives at the speed limit-in an Chevy express van...so now I get to cruise in something a bit more substantial (awesome,big,road hogging,pain ,giving us all a bad name,gas guzzling,etc.).
My point is should we feel compelled to drive faster and be less fuel efficient,risk our own safety and be more of a liability on the road in a vehicle which people perceive as always a slower type of traveler?Ultimately we will not go fast enough to please many drivers no matter how quickly we go-going faster puts more people at risk whereas keeping the speed down is better for everyone in the overall...
How do you drive your rig and do you think I'm wrong?
38 REPLIES 38

FuzzyKnight
Explorer
Explorer
I drive at 62 on the freeway. I always pull over when more than 4 cars accumulate behind me on a 2 lane rd. I am never in a hurry so I really don't care how long it takes to get there!!
Fuzzy and Mary
1994 Pace Arrow 33
1928 Model A
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original factory V8 4 spd
1963 Fairlane SportsCoupe
1965 Honda SuperHawk

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Roadglider09 wrote:
2 things I've learned driving an RV:

1. No one expects you to go fast.
2. People will get out of your way.

There's more than one lane on the highway - they can pass if they want to. For 2 lane roads - suck it up; i pay taxes too, and prefer to drive safe.

My very limited experience confirms the above.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
We drive between 55-60 mph most of the time. I stay right and allow mergers to come in.... if they don't look, they get the air horns! I'm not there to baby-sit them, wake up and drive and get off the darn phone!

MM.

Yup, that's also the reason I installed an air horn (2 horn with air compressor) pointing to the right side behind the grill. Sure has woken some drivers up!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
If you are towing in California the speed limit is 55 mph. If you are not towing the speed limit is 70. I try to follow what the law calls for. If you are driving too slow, it can also be a hazard, same if you are speeding.

A 15 mile per hour differential between towing and not, how safe can that be?
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
we tend to drive our 37' DP at between 62 - 64. it is just a comfortable speed for the bus towing the jeep... most interstates we encounter range from 55 to 70 mph speed limit...we stay in the right lane, try to be courteous, and mind our own business.... I would rather spend the entire trip surrounded by semi's and buses than one small car......I'm always extra alert approaching on-ramps, as most people don't seem to look, they never see the Jeep, and they expect you to yield to them......or they pull 40 feet in front of you at 30mph when you are doing 60........my grandson calls them speedbumps..........
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
If you are towing in California the speed limit is 55 mph. If you are not towing the speed limit is 70. I try to follow what the law calls for. If you are driving too slow, it can also be a hazard, same if you are speeding.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
JetAonly wrote:
You shouldn't drive any faster speed than you can handle safely. Most accidents are cause by a differential in speed not by how fast you are going. If you don't keep close to the average flow of traffic you are a hazard, I don't care how much fuel you save. If you like to travel slow the there are many roads besides the interstate you can travel, use them.

Amen! Slow (10 or more under) isn't safe on a busy interstate. I keep with the flow of traffic and don't worry much about saving a little fuel.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I mostly drive at 59 MPH, 1900 RPM on my Tach! This is the sweet spot where I get the best fuel milage. I'm hardly ever drive in the "Show Off Lane" I stay in the far right lane as possible!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the safe speed for my tires and found that 81 is the number, You can bet we will never push the limit.. we normally set the cruise control at 62-65, and the economy on the transmission and allow the computer drive it.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I live by the rule that says "never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly"
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't drive any faster speed than you can handle safely. Most accidents are cause by a differential in speed not by how fast you are going. If you don't keep close to the average flow of traffic you are a hazard, I don't care how much fuel you save. If you like to travel slow the there are many roads besides the interstate you can travel, use them.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to drive the speed limit. If that was 70 then it was 70. I saw some 80s out west and decided not to go that fast. So at 70 I was being passed but it was much easier driving. Then I tried going 62. It is where I shift into 6th gear. Now I run 61-62 and get 8 mpg instead of 7.5. That makes a huge difference. I noticed it first putting on the resonator. I saved 178 gallons going from VA to WA and back. So this trip it will be slower. I built in an extra two travel days but I bet I can save 200 gallons of fuel over the trip there and back with the resonator and a light foot.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
As I've stated before, I like 58 mph on our roads, that said, if I drive 58 on I-5, my speed is not as fast as some trucks and not as slow as others. What it is, is my happy spot, I'm comfortable, I arrive when I get there and I don't anger many.

On two lane country roads, slow and sure and always looking for pull outs. In the mid-west there are a lot of two lane roads and on our way to and from Kentucky, I never had one driver honk, show their IQ or pull any cut of when passing. Nice folks back there. Here in Calif., you usually get all those gestures and more. We've seen some interesting stuff at pullouts, strange what flies out of a moving vehicle.

Go your speed and pull over to let the backup pass.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:
Most of my experience with thrown rocks and chipped windsheilds is from over taking vehicles doing a proper passing. I do try to keep up with the traffic to reduce the amount of overtaking vehicles. At 66 mph I get passed a lot less than at 55.

Pops

Amen!!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape