cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Inner Tire Valve Extenders

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Winn Voyage MH with dual 22.5 rear tires. Our tire man recommended that we not use valve extenders at all for the inner tires, claims these are prone for leaks or worse. I'm ok with that but dang the inner valve is hard to get to. I have to move the rig to get the inner tire valve "up" so I can reach over the outer tire to remove the valve dust cap. And its a pain to get it rethreaded to reattach. Plus I am still looking for an extra long air chuck to reach through the wheel opening to fill the tire. I try to be diligent and check our tires frequently but this is a pain.

Any one have wisdom or comments to share? I feel like I'm missing something. Are valve extenders really ok after all versus their convenience?
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
15 REPLIES 15

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Inside duals should never use valve extensions...have the proper metal stems installed that reach beyond the wheel dish of the outside dual. That is standard recommended procedures in the tire industry...your tire man was correct.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
So, as I read through this I am reminded that yet again most of our manufacturers choose to put products on our RV that are sub quality and prone to failure. Understandable things cost money and at the end of the day we pay for that, but wouldn’t or shouldn’t this fall under the category of a necessity? Valve extenders that don’t leak? I mean this could or has caused catastrophic failures I am sure. How many blowouts are caused by faulty valve extensions we’ll likely never know. So we have to buy better ones and/or TPMS. And while every car manufactured now has to have an on board TPMS, no Rv manufacturer is required to. Why is that? I know, I know, it all comes down to money. But the list of things you have to buy just to make your RV safe let alone usable is longer than it should be. Rv’s are sort of an anomaly in that any other related vehicle or home has inspections and quality standards. Create a hybrid of the 2 and no regulation to speak of sans emissions. Absurd.
2013 ACE 29.2

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Got rid of my extenders. Using Dually Valves. It is the only way to go. I should have done this years ago. Best $120 I've ever spent on the motorhome!!!

Id just as soon run flat tires as pay $120 for valve extensions
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
wny_pat wrote:
Got rid of my extenders. Using Dually Valves. It is the only way to go. I should have done this years ago. Best $120 I've ever spent on the motorhome!!!

X2 on the dually valves. I won't own/drive a dually vehicle without them.

I used to use the extensions some folks swear work fine for them. I'm sure some have had good service from them, but I learned the hard way why they can't be trusted. Within first year of ownership, I had one of them (extensions) work loose and let almost all the air out of a tire. Darn near cost me a tire.

Wasn't one of the braided, straight extensions for the inner tire, either. It was the curved extension on the outer dual. Best I can tell, a piece of debris from the road flew up and hit it just right, knocking the extension loose. After that, I spent the $$ for Dually Valves, had them put on and never looked back.

ANY valve extension that holds air pressure in it (meaning, any that if it works loose can let air out), creates an additional risk of leaking air. 'Tis a fact. You may or may not ever have an issue with them like I did. However, for us, I decided $120 for a set of dually valves was well worth it. 'Tis a LOT cheaper than having to replace a $500 tire before its time.

That, and you can't beat how easy they (dually valves) are to access to check and top off the tires when they need it. No more special truck gauge needed, one simple digital gauge works for ALL tires on ALL vehicles (without having to remove wheel covers anymore, either).
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Have had mine for about 9 years with no problems until I had no tires installed last year.

Of course all the common knowledge on here suggested the steel braided extender was bad.

Took it to a truck tire place and they pulled the tire and checked it in a big water tank. Turns out the tire valve stem had gone bad, not the extender.

The tire valve stem has a rubber grommet that was leaking so they replaced it and all has been fine since then.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
The extender were a problem because tire/oil change mechanics would twist the stem getting proper alignment with the nozzle. The reverse stem on the outer tires were a problem due to correct angle issues. Last time I took the two rear hub caps off and the mechanic had a much easier access without the extenders. Great opportunity to polish the hub caps before replacement.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Mine have been on for 12 years and no problems!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the stainless steel style for years with no problems.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Recently had one go bad and my coach is only a year old. Commercial tire place recommended removing advising that extensions eventually all leak. Based on some posts here I would say that's an exaggeration but I ended up removing them just in case,and bought a dual foot air chuck and TST TPMS. This recent finding sold me on a TPMS for the very reason that I would have never known I had a slow leak on an extension while travelling. I agree, not easy to get to without the extensions, but with the long dual foot chuck I can make it work. And with the TPMS I use that to check psi instead of manually checking it.
2013 ACE 29.2

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, your tire chuck. Take a look at these from Alcoa Wheel: Alcoa Air Chuck & Service Gauges . I prefer the 003700 air chuck with a straight-on connection and a 180º reverse chuck. The 180º reverse works much better in tight hand holes. But I don't need it now that I have the Dually Valves!!!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

beaslwd
Explorer
Explorer
Went with the solid type myself, could not get the wire mesh type adjusted correctly. So far no problems, F-450

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Ours were installed when we bought it new in 2004 and have worked fine for ten years with one exception. Last summer I replaced one that leaked less than 1 pound a week. I can't imagine not having them.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm on my fourth year with flexible extenders with no leaks. I think the trick, if you chose to use them, is to buy extenders that the tube is encased in a SS wire mesh to limit potential leaks along the length of the extender SUCH AS THIS EXAMPLE.

Another option is to replace the current standard metal stems with something that is bent/formed that will allow easy access to the end. A well stocked truck tire service center should have what you need.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53