cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever tried this?

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
I know this isn't technically Class "C" related, but I have been doing quite a bit of research to purchase a Class C. In my readings I came across something that absolutely made shivers run down my spine.

An individual stated they loved the fact that they could change drivers when they were in cruise control without stopping the rig. How big of a hurry was he in?

I don't mean to insult anyone, but really, just pull over for 2 minutes to switch drivers. Please don't put yourself in that much of a risk to save a few minutes.

Again, I really don't want to ruffle any feathers, just thought I had heard everything. I never in my wildness dreams thought anyone would really try something like this. It only takes a few seconds for an accident to happen.

Just my opinion. And I am very sorry if I struck a nerve with anyone.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C
16 REPLIES 16

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:

Actually I have been told team drivers in big rigs do this , by a team driver. Replacement driver leans over seat and grabs wheel, exiting driver slides underneath and out of the way, the drivers always have their hands on the wheels so they have a feel of what is happening. I don't recommend it but I know some who do it.

YEP!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:
I think you've been the but of someones joke. Don't believe Everything you're told.

Actually I have been told team drivers in big rigs do this , by a team driver. Replacement driver leans over seat and grabs wheel, exiting driver slides underneath and out of the way, the drivers always have their hands on the wheels so they have a feel of what is happening. I don't recommend it but I know some who do it.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There is the Idiot on a Tesla playing a game while the vehicle is in "autopilot" and the on board steering can not distinguish the fadded whitelines, well he did not survive.

There are to many idiots out there.

navegator

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you've been the but of someones joke. Don't believe Everything you're told.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
It may not take all types, but we have them.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
The Logans wrote:
Who ever thought that someone would be stupid enough to text while driving, either. Heck, why not put on the cruise and go back and make a sandwich...

Some have, they think it is auto pilot!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't put yourself in that much of a risk to save a few minutes.
I wouldn't worry about the person doing that. I would be more concerned about the innocent victims they could potentially wipe out.

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
The Logans wrote:
Who ever thought that someone would be stupid enough to text while driving, either. Heck, why not put on the cruise and go back and make a sandwich...

Believe it or not, but that has already been done in a motor home forty years ago. It did not end well.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yup i've heard of people that say they do that in a "Class A". They think just because there is so much room up front that it is doable.

I would find it VERY hard to do that in a Class C though. My C certainly did not have enough room around the dog house to change drivers. I barely could get out of the drivers seat to go back to the coach.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
there are a lot of stupid people out there, the ones I knew aren't with us any more.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you not want to insult someone like that? They deserve it!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if they set down their beer when changing drivers? :B

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately, people have been doing that in all sorts of vehicles (big and small; towing or not) for years. There are too many folks who think they are so good that they can overcome anything that comes their way. Usually they are the cause of a pile up and they drive away unscathed.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)