cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
i'm just glad that you had enough work this summer ($$$), to keep you too busy to work on the project.
be looking forward for any progress reports.
i'm so slow i'm starting my christmas cards now.... or they could be for last year. .....

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

radardog
Explorer
Explorer
Your going to enjoy that Shed for years to come when the weather ( makes it clear ) PUN INTENDED that working inside is the only way to go. Looks like a good job being done on it, and I for 1 do appreciate your updates on your projects so we can follow from start to finish. Thanks for the educational experience.
The fan always wins

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
You are a smart man Bill! That sounds like a great plan. 😉

I did find a great deal on 6 squares of high end roofing for the shed last week. Only $200! Now I'm just waiting for a couple dry days in a row to get it up on there... You're right about having a lot of cleanup to do around the RV when it makes it's big move.
Malcolm

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Ok so when are we back to working on the RV????

My guess is that Malcolm will finish working on the shelter....then get the RV parked.....start organizing what he has to work with, what goes to the dump.....cleans up the yard, etc. during the winter, and gets a good fresh start in the Spring.

Even with the shelter, it's gonna be cold up there in the Northwest, and it might be better to spend that time inside going over the plans of what he intends to do on the RV, before putting the saw to any of the wood he's got. Also a good time to start stockpiling wood, and other materials he might be able to use.

It's nowhere near as cold down here in NC, and I know that I don't want to do much outside work during the winter.....better to get everything ready for a fresh start in the Spring!
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok so when are we back to working on the RV????

CISCO8325
Explorer
Explorer
are we there yet?

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
RVSKIER wrote:
Man with this group here it's like haveing thousands of backseat drivers telling you what to do! 🙂
Hey! HEY! Eyes on the road, Mister!!!!! :B
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

RVSKIER
Explorer
Explorer
Man with this group here it's like haveing thousands of backseat drivers telling you what to do! 🙂
RVSKIER
2001 Itasca 30W
Faster, Faster, Until the Thrill
of Speed Over Comes The Fear Of Death

kraazy3
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I remembered something so I looked back and saw that you did indeed anchor the posts. You have done such a good job on the building I don't know why I questioned you. GOOD JOB
Ron C.

kraazy3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple more suggestions. As I said I would surely x brace the end and lag bolt them as nails could work loose if the building starts to move in a high wind. I think the braces for the end to end look good as they come down almost half way but as on the end bracing I would lag bolt them as well. The part about the wind blowing the roof off. If you enclose 3 sides the wind might get in and lift the roof but if you don't enclose the sides the wind will just blow right through. I also noticed that you have used metal brackets to attach the carring beam to the top of the 4x4 posts which will help keep the roof in place. The only other issue is how well you have the posts anchored to the ground. If everthing else is hooked together the only thing that could happen is that the whole building could fly away. The structure itself looks pretty good. Just take as much wobble out of it as you can. I can't wait till you get going on the motor home again.
Ron C.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts, exactly. Not that it would help from a structural standpoint, but I would at least be attaching tarps to the side posts to keep blown water/snow out of the RV while under it.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
At this point, why don't you pick up some plywood and sheath the sides and back? That will keep those posts braced and square, keep the wind out of the place, and keep the wind from getting under the roof...You did a great job on the shed, but honestly I don't see the point without walls, a slight breeze when it's raining or snowing and whatever's under there is getting wet.

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
a nice strong 'x' brace on the back wall, and a couple '/' or '\' braces on the sides would do the trick. make the side ones so they can be removed if necessary to move large items. should stiffen the shop up without costing another arm or leg.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, the roof itself is VERY strong, but you can rock it around some forward and back and without the cross bracing, left and right. I will be adding some additional braces after I get the roof finished. 😉
Malcolm

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
kraazy3 wrote:
I have been a carpenter for 30 years and if those trusses were designed correctly they are supposed to transfer the weight down not out. The trusses are designed to give height clearence but the cross ties are still there to prevent separation of the walls. If I had any concern at all it would be side to side. I would be sure to cross brace the far end to prevent the wind from blowing the building over sideways. This should stand a considerable snow load with no problem. I would consider metal roofing to help shed the snow. I would trust this building in Vermont where I live.
Ron C

I am with Ron on this. It is not the downward forces I would be concerned about first. I know they are a pain but some external braces could help prevent the wind from "racking" it.