cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac wrote:
I didn't mean to scare ya there, the roof will be rubber (even if I can't get it at the 'Depo'). :B

I drew up a little picture of the RV to play with different roof ideas...

I guess that means no cedar shake shingles ?:B
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't mean to scare ya there, the roof will be rubber (even if I can't get it at the 'Depo'). :B

I drew up a little picture of the RV to play with different roof ideas...
Malcolm

pammi
Explorer
Explorer
Your fan club eagerly awaits every new post! You should hear us clapping all over the place supporting you! YOU ROCK!
2004 Rockwood Roo 23B (new to us in April, 2007)
2006 Nissan Xterra

When we camp, it's DH & me mostly. :B

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
I know that money is an issue, and availability too.....but, you really should look at the roof as the most important part of the RV. If you skimp on the roof, all this work will have been in vain.....in the rain (ah to be a poet!!:B)

With that said, you've got a ways to go before you need to worry about the roofing materials, and I don't think you'll go wrong with having some curve to the roof, as you had suggested (cutting some 2x6)....or, you could go with flat, but have it slope towards the rear. This would be a bit easier (not having to cut each of those curves), and would probably be just as effective.

You are going to have to decide on a roofing material, and I don't believe you will find what you want at Lowes or Depot....it just isn't what they specialize in. You wouldn't go to Walmart to re-roof your house? From what I've read on this forum, you can get more typical RV roofing, and still keep on budget....and you'll have a better protected RV by doing it.

Glad the weather finally cleared, and that you got some more work done....it's coming along slowly, but you're doing it right! Keep those pictures coming...remember, they are worth a thousand words!!!:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate you guys keeping the roof in mind. My only conditions are that it's something I can get easily at a Lowes or Depo and isn't too expensive. :B

It poured all morning and didn't start to dry out till 3 o'clock. I got outside shortly after that and got a little more done on that rear floor. I got the 2x2s cut and glued in on the right side.

Then I got the rear cross piece cut and glued in. Finally both sides are tied together! There's still a few more pieces to get put in but I should be putting the top plywood on soon (if the weather gives me a break).

Malcolm

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac, since I first suggested the over hang roof suggestion I have been giving it some more though also. Ron.Dittmer you idea of a roof that uses light plastic as a roof covering. Will this support a human weight placed on it, between the structure joist, bearing on two points relative small areas....the feet ???
In thinking some more, some where in my past I saw an older truck camper once that had the aluminum roof that over hanging the sides & back of about 4". SO....how about on your roof trusses you notch the bottoms to rest & fasten on your top plates of your walls. Then extend the ends to go another 4" or so past the outside of the outer finished walls 2-3 " thick. Then say oh,......2-3" flat/down (horizontal), out at the outer edges. ( It would raise your roof that 2-3" also) This allows you to run your structural plywood under layment, over the TOP of the roof trusses and seamless out over the edges, past the walls by 4". Cover the edges & bottom of the over hang with plywood also. Then when laying & gluing the rubber top over the under layment, it is also continuous. Running over the top. down the 2-3" side of the front of the overhang, and below back 4" to the wall. Some chrome or plastic continuous trim to conceal the seam. If a person could use a light weight water proof material to seal the space's between the structural joist, THEN any leaks that would accrue out there on the overhang would not be able to drain back into the walls. The only problem that I might see is, does that rubber take a 90 degree bend & wear at this edge very well. Clearance lights could be out on this overhang away from penatrations in the outer part of the wall. One thing from my construction back ground, the edges of the roof plywood underlayment have to fall on your structure member, and...screwed (counter sunk) down at short intervals. To keep underlayment from moving/racking from each other, to break the seam and allow a similar movement/seam bend to show and possible weaken in the rubber roof. What do you thing of all of this ??????
John H

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
I love following this thread. I have a 78 24' Dodge Tioga that was completely refurbished. When the project was undertaken there had only been one small leaking area in the mid section on one side. The MH was owned in Utah for 29 years. The previous owner had a new roof with new ceiling installed. A one pc Aluminum sheet rolled over the side walls was used. Why didn't the factory use this method? The inside of my unit is now just like new and all the paint is great. Van part, new paint. Even the Orange remains inside, lol. I'm anxious to see the project of this thread completed. We all are cheering. Lot's of talent here.

sjptak
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see ya back to work. Missed all of you new posts. Even had withdrawal symptoms!:)
Off to See the Lizard

'99 Four Winds 30' Class C
'97 GEO Tracker
'63 Honda 305 Dream
1947 Wife
1949 Me

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
The weather was real nice to me all through June and July, then August got a little off and on wet. That made it hard to move ahead with the big parts. Then Sept started off really dry and got me back into the project. Now it's looking like we're going to head into fall for sure, so I'm not sure what else I'll be able to get done before the monsoons hit.

There was only a mild mist outside tonight, so I managed to get the left side plywood glued and stapled in. Then I covered it all up so it can dry... in the dry. I found a good use for the old battery out of the rig too, it makes a nice hold down clamp. 😉

Malcolm

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that you've been pretty fortunate so far....considering the usual rainy weather that is out your way! Keep up the good work, we're all enjoying the pictures and progress!
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Got up to a downpour of dew this morning, so it's all covered up waiting for some sun to peek out. Hopefully I can get a little time in on it tonight.
Malcolm

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, that piece is cut.

Then I got a bunch of the left side glued and stapled together.

Malcolm

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got the most of the left side pieced out. I added an extra 2x under the tub area and a couple in the front for strength.

Then I figured I better get over to the other side. It wasn't near as bad, but I may as well get rid of the rotten edge.

That's more like it.

Now to find another good long piece of 1/2 inch ply...
Malcolm

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if it's easier or not, but that's how I've been doing it so far, so no sense doing it different now. :B The upper ply will get replaced but the lower stuff is still in pretty good shape away from the edges. I'm going to add some extra 2x2s where needed also.

I got the new lower ply cut and it fits!

Oh yeah, I'm liking that roof!
Malcolm

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure your approach is easier than replacing 100% of the floor? Or is there a lot of stuff under the RV mounted to the underside of the floor?

About the roof. I know you mentioned doing some of this, but I'll list my overlapping thoughts.

1) Crown it with 2x6's cut with arches.
2) Have rounded edges along the two sides and back. The 2x6's should help there.
3) Use thin sheet stock fiberglass for the finish roofing material, and roll it over the rounded edges.
4) Have the fiberglass overlap the siding.
5) Use caulk and trim to seal and finish it off.

This way, water could never get in the walls where the roof meets the sides and back. Maybe the same principle could be applied to the front.

Do something similar to this. It is difficult to see with the color changes, but in the picture, the white fiberglass roof rolls over a rounded edge to the rain cutter and awning. The fiberglass is painted right at the point of roll-over, but it's the same sheet of material.