cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flexseal ???

CDNSENIOR
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used Flexseal spray on their roof seams.We have a Damon Daybreak with a rubber roof.
8 REPLIES 8

dpscll
Explorer
Explorer
flexseal makes a mess, but I guess if you don't have anything else it would work in an emergency. I don't know why it bubbles up when you spray it, since you don't see that on TV. Anyway, lap seal is the best and you should keep a couple of tubes of it onboard when you travel.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can avoid it don't use it. I used it on a small leak that I discovered right before we were to head out on vacation. It worked to get us through but, it has since cracked and made a mess. I redid everything yesterday with the real thing, epdm liquid rubber. The flexseal is very quick in an emergency but, if you have the time to run to Camping World or similar place and get some epdm rubber lap seal you can fix it and forget it.

Also, I would use the lap seal even before the eternabond tape for a repair to a rubber roof. What I have found is that in the short run, eternabond works great. But, if you then recover your roof with epdm liquid rubber you'll eventually start seeing cracks around the edge of where you put the tape down. My guess is that the original rubber and the eternabond tape expand and contract at different levels. I would use eternabond tape for significant holes, say an inch or more. For cracks or small tears the lap seal will do the trick. But again, I would avoid the Flexseal except for emergencies. I keep a tube of lap seal on board now. Lap seal will shed water even before it has dried.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used it on a friends old class C that was leaking badly in a rain storm. Water was dripping inside on his cab over bed after his Son in law tried to fix it with caulking. He bought 2 cans for $19.99 on TV. I wiped the area that I thought it was leaking and sprayed it on when the rain let up. When the rain started heavy again it no longer leaked. From my personal experience with it when the price drops to $5 a can I might pick it up just for such emergency repairs but will continue to maintain my roof with regular inspections and re caulking yearly.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I used it on mine. I sprayed it on the bathroom dome and caused it to crack all the way across the dome. the dome already had a crack, the spray just made it crack completely by the next morning.

It also reacts to itself when you spray it on anything and that causes it to bubble as if it's boiling. Unfortunately the bubbles seemed to have left paths that the rain could still get through. I wound up having to seal the seams 4 times before they finally sealed.

Not worth it at all in my case.

cacherjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with Topflite. I use to sell it in a store I managed. All reviews by customers were great. That said, don't expect it to be a total fix. It will get you through to a full repair.

I used it on the roof of my travel trailer, lasted 2 summers before I saw signs of leaks again.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
http://consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/06/flex-seal-claim-check/index.htm
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I would use it on the roof but in an emergency I would try just about anything. I have seen it used on a heater hose and it worked well enough for a friend to get back to civilization and have the hose replaced.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Not to discourage discussion, but here is another recent thread on the topic.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard