cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flooring and slides in MH

bwodom
Explorer
Explorer
Fact or fiction? We are trying to determine the validity of two things we were told by a potential flooring installer.

1. The type of slide we have requires that we stick with carpet -- cannot use solid flooring. (We have heard that some slides do not do well with certain types of flooring, so this seems plausible).

2. Must have carpet under the front captain's chairs. This is one we have never heard before. We wanted to have vinyl from front door back through kitchen, even if we had to keep the carpeted slide, but this seems to preclude even that.

We are taking to another place next week just to get second opinion before making a decision, but thought someone may have already been through this.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

KRumm
Explorer
Explorer
If you are worried about scratching the new floor Google slide out slickers

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of replacing ALL carpet in our coach. We are using floating FLOR carpet tile squares throughout. It's thickness is about the same of the luxury vinyl planks we looked at and it has a durable look and feel to it. As far as interfering with our slide, ours has enough clearance throughout the travel in and out that it does not touch the main floor, so there shouldn't be any problem as long as we don't install it over the rollers.

As far as the surface under the Captain's chairs having to be carpet, I cannot see any reason except to cover up the bolt holes and the imperfections that the original manufacturer covered up with carpet. In the process of replacing our carpet, I'm finding out exactly how much they "covered up" with the deep-piled carpet. I guess if you can't do it right, then you have to cover it. Same way a good coat of paint and wallpaper can cover up bad drywall installations....

Of course, I guess they could make the argument that all the gaps where the walls meet the floor and in the entrance stairwell are there to allow for flexing while traveling.....
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You can install any type flooring you want. As to the slides, some slides, the mechanism/rollers were designed for carpet. That just means, the slide noise when going in and out and when retracted, the carpet pushes on the rollers to keep them from rattling. There is no harm if you use hard wood or vinyl in place of carpet, but you may have to use carpet shims when retracted to keep rattle noise down. Some Slide rooms exert pressure on the carpet, whether it is rollers or the bottom of the floor(no rollers that roll inward), that type may damage wood or vinyl if there is not enough clearance. There is NO rule about carpet under the front chairs. A LOT of new motorhomes have tile/marble up front. That said, the chair pedestals are NOT mounted on the Tile, but to the main wood subfloor. They cut out that square when they install the tile. Doug

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
1- no- you can use hard surface
2- doesn't have to be carpet-- unless the surface is not flat
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
We installed Allure in out motorhome that has a full slide. The slide runners put a small scratch in the front and rear. We also left about 3 inches of carpet where the slide climbs up to the floor. Sure like it better than the carpet it replaced. If you use the Allure make sure you float it.:)

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 Itasca Horizon. We have removed the carpet in the living area, and replaced with bamboo flooring. The 2 slides are HWH, and the slides will have a plastic "glide" if they are installed over carpet.
If over tile or other hard surface they will have rollers.

I measured the thickness of the carpet and padding and found flooring that was slightly thinner than the carpet combo. After the installation the plastic "glides" scratched the new bamboo. I was able to raise the slides a little and that helped.

20/20 hindsight I would have installed a vinyl flooring like Allure. It's much thinner than the carpet and probably would have worked better.

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Holiday Rambler with 4 slides. I removed all carpeting and laminate flooring, installed Armstrong vinyl flooring front thru bath and vinyl plank in the bed room. The only carpet is on one slide that rises as it comes in. Couldn't figure out how to do that transition with tile.
Blessings;kdk
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Dahkota. We have vinyl floors throughout our motorhome, under the pilot and co-pilot seats and throughout the coach, with no problems. We have one full slide and two partial slides.

Ed Headington

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
You might post the rig you have or at least the slides it has. Plenty of people have been through it but can't really help you with out more information.

As to both 1 and 2, it is false in our case.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road