cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FMCA Michelin tire program issues

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
This past January I bought 6 new tires in Oregon on the FMCA Michelin tire program. The price was cheaper than dealers, so I bit. I should have researched it further--my fault--because FMCA said labor was extra but I thought it wouldn't be that much to worry about. My error--I think--. I paid $540 extra to have them mounted and balanced. When that was added I may have paid too much. I've been afraid to check on it further because it was my fault. I'm curious if any of you have had a similar awakening on it.
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat
41 REPLIES 41

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
rfsod48 wrote:
I am in the process of getting new tires for my mh, have been quoted $77 per tire for removal of tires, mounting of new tires, new valve stems, balancing of wheels and disposal of old tires. This is same for 2 different dealers. My tires are 275/70/22.5 LR J.

My local dealer is quoting $78 per tire, FET $42 per tire, and tire cost is $480 per tire, total out the door $600 per tire. Tire size is 235/80R22.5 XRV. Curious how the tire cost compares to FMCA cost.
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Dennis is correct. The total amount of the check is all that matters.

We are currently camping and I found the invoice for the tires we bought 2 years ago. Mount & dismount was listed at $150.00. Balance (beads) was $60.00. We received a nice value for our old tires (locally there is a good market for these, farmers use them for field trailers), and the tires were priced right as well.

Bridgestone R250s, 11R22.5's, out the door after everything, I wrote a check for $1515.00 for 6 tires. THAT's why I always say check with your local guys. You just might find the deal of a lifetime.

nice!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bruce_Brown
Dennis is correct. The total amount of the check is all that matters.

We are currently camping and I found the invoice for the tires we bought 2 years ago. Mount & dismount was listed at $150.00. Balance (beads) was $60.00. We received a nice value for our old tires (locally there is a good market for these, farmers use them for field trailers), and the tires were priced right as well.

Bridgestone R250s, 11R22.5's, out the door after everything, I wrote a check for $1515.00 for 6 tires. THAT's why I always say check with your local guys. You just might find the deal of a lifetime.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used machine on ebay after paying $100 for the fronts and then having them out of balance. We use steel BBs to balance them like the big trucks use.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
As always, everything is relative. The ONLY price that matters is the BOTTOM LINE. What was your out the door price you paid? Doesn't matter how they arrived at that price, it's what you paid. That's the only way to compare prices. I had 6 295/80R22.5 XZA2 replaced last year. I'll look up the invoice and edit this post with the total price. (edit: $4364.44 for six) I know the mount/dismount was $21 each. Balancing was extra, but about $30..that included brushing and polishing the rims before install.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Many tire dealers don't like to just mount/balance tires...they want to sell them too. I haven't looked into the FMCA program, but since there is a membership discount, I suspect the dealer doesn't make nay profit from the tire sale and made up the difference in his labor costs.

When I first bought my Harley, I found our the hard way that one local shop mounts tires for free IF you buy the tires from them. They charge as much or more than the savings you get from buying from a catalog store and having the dealer mount them.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
JimR 1 wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
You need to look at your invoice and see how much you got charged FET. Even in Oregon you still have to pay Federal Excise Tax on certain size tires. Then you heed to see how much was mounting labor, valve stems, balancing,etc

On my purchase with the FMCA program the FET was part of the Michelin side of the payment, tires and FET payment by credit card to Michelin.
The mount and balance was paid to the dealer, Dale's Tires in Rapid City. $260.76

Correct. FET is paid directly to Michelin as part of the tire purhcase price.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Community Alumni
Not applicable
dons2346 wrote:
You need to look at your invoice and see how much you got charged FET. Even in Oregon you still have to pay Federal Excise Tax on certain size tires. Then you heed to see how much was mounting labor, valve stems, balancing,etc

On my purchase with the FMCA program the FET was part of the Michelin side of the payment, tires and FET payment by credit card to Michelin.
The mount and balance was paid to the dealer, Dale's Tires in Rapid City. $260.76

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced 4 12R 22.5 tires in TX using FMCA. I was shocked to find that the bill was over $3000 once all of the dealer charges were added on. I guess I was naive about what the Michelin plan did or did not do, but it was way more than I had expected.
I have since dropped by FMCA membership now that they are no longer an organization for Motorhome owners only.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced all 6 tires on our motorhome back in 2013 using the FMCA program and it cost us just over $3000 out the door - that was for 6 Michelin XZE 235/80R225G tires.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought 6 Michelin XDS2 tires from SimpleTire.com and had them delivered to the garage down the road from me. They mounted them for $50 each and the date code on all tires was about 3 months. The shipping was free and mounting included new stems, balance, and disposal of the old tires. The local dealers would have all had to order the specific Michelin tires that I wanted and I got them quicker than they could. SimpleTire also allows a discount for former military veterans.
Total cost was less than the FMCA program discount and shipping only took 3 days.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
My tire guy doesn't participate in the program and his tires a little higher but not astronomical. He takes care of any car or RV issues like airing up the DP immediately (no charge). I'll keep giving him my business.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
Houston area tire dealers couldn't touch FMCA price,easy to use.I'm happy.jg
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36 DP

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bruce Brown wrote:
I'm sure glad we have a good local truck tire dealer. My suggestion to anyone would be to check with your local guys too before signing up for the FMCA program and finding the surprises later. It's always good to compare.

I have to agree with this as there may be a less pricey option but in my case the FMCA program was the best. I was getting quotes of about 100 higher on Goodyear, Rapid City, and about 300 higher for the same tire at a Les Schwab in Oregon with the mounting and balancing about the same as what I did pay.

JimR