cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford v10 serpentine belt replacement

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
2 questions... How hard is it to replace? And to make sure I get the right length, should I just go to the ford dealer?
Proud father of a US Marine
13 REPLIES 13

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
One little trick that makes installing a new belt easier, is to get a few of those big metal paper clips; the kind that grip 20 or 30 pages together. You can use those clips to clamp the new belt to a few of the pulleys. Check the idler pulleys, but it's highly advised to replace the tensioner pulley at the same time(youtube has a pro video on that). Be extra careful that the belt is seated perfectly before you start the rig. It can tear a new belt instantly if not seated correctly.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Post deleted!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I just, a few weeks ago changed ours. Not a bad job, just requires paying attention to routing when removing. Ours appeared good, but we didnโ€™t know the beltโ€™s history on our low mileage, but older class c.....so I changed it. We now have โ€œpiece of mindโ€, and kept the old one as an emergency back-up! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine when the idler pulley bearing started making noise. There should be a little belt routing map sticker under the hood. Not a hard job, except to have magician hands and tiny-sized tools to work in the limited space. My local Advance Auto Parts had both the belt and pulley on the shelf.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Changed the serpentine belt on my Class A F53 V10. Only hard part was had to do some from underneath (release idler pulley tension, AC compressor and IIRC power steering pump). Had to do the rest from up top. Pay attention to how it comes out and it is easy to put back. I carry a spare and use Gates belt and hoses
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you can remember the sequence of pulleys as you remove the belt it should go back on easy by reversing the sequence. By the time you get it done you will know how to do it in one-fifth the time but that will not even help next time 5+ years later.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
The serpentine belt on a V10 operates all of the engine accessories, the most critical of which is the water pump. When we first bought our 2003 Class C I bought a spare belt as a precaution. It is necessary to remove the air filter assembly to get to the spring loaded idler pulley and the alternator. As a pre-trip test, I tried using my 1/2" breaker bar to loosen the idler but was unable to do so due to space limitations. I bought a serpentine belt tool which worked great. Our spare belt is a Motorcraft 2C2E-8626-DC.

While a belt failure is a rare event we actually had it happen to us while camping at Pebble Creek about 20 miles from anywhere in the northeast corner of Yellowstone. When I started the engine in the morning there was a clunk followed by a whap, whap, whap sound. Upon opening the hood I discovered that a ground squirrel had been in the engine area and had been caught in the belt. The squirrel had paid the ultimate price and the belt was badly damaged. The spare belt and belt tool saved us that day.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I took our 2004 E350 to the most popular auto repair place in our town with population 1000. That shop is so popular I had to wait for 2 months to get the belt changed. $100 Canadian.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
A Ford mechanic once told me that Ford said that you didn't need to worry about cracks in the serpentine belts, and not to change them until they started to loose chucks of rubber.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Take a couple pictures of the belt installation before you remove it.
It's more accurate than a drawing.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never changed a serp belt but I did have Gates as well as other aftermarket power steering belts jump off a Ford diesel. Ford checked the pulleys and they were fine, the OEM Ford power steering belts stayed on without any problem, on the same pulleys.
It might be worth looking into that to see if the V10 has been having any aftermarket serpentine belt problems like I had with the power steering belts.

hanford10
Explorer
Explorer
U tube it as it is different than old v belts.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I feel they are pretty easy to replace, your results may vary. Not required to go to the dealer, not many stock belts anymore anyway. Get a quality belt, I like Gates personally, Napa also good (and possibly made by gates). If the routing diagram sticker is missing under the hood, draw it on a piece of paper before taking it off, it's very easy to get it confused if you try and go by memory. While it's off check all the idler pulleys for excessive play or dragging in bearing, they are cheap and easy to replace now. Good Luck!