cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freezing weather

jonlin
Explorer
Explorer
We are in NC and will be leaving for FL sometime around Christmas. Our forecast is for some mid 20 degree weather next week. If I run the furnace during these cold days will that eliminate my freeze concerns or should I winterize my rig for a couple weeks. I have a 38 foot Newmar Kountry Star. Thanks for your help.

John
26 REPLIES 26

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Right or wrong: I always fill my fresh water tank at the campground, after checking the taste. I feel that this process of cycling water through the tank and pump helps to keep the tank fresh. I also get better pressure at the kitchen sink. For some, unknown reason, the line pressure reduces through my filter to the point that I never have good flow in the kitchen.

I also use Clorox once a year with about 20 gallons of water, travelling for a hundred miles or so before flushing.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I always sanitize with clorox for several hours, followed by a bit of time with white vinegar, and I never have had after taste. In fact it has a great taste, but I might be spoiled with Denver water.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

hfbundy
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
I have been using the pink stuff for 20 years. Last year I bought a small air compressor that I can regulate to 50 psi. Now, after draining the tanks and bupassing the water heater, I hook it to my water inlet and go from point to point, allowing the air to blow through until there is little or no water coming through. I still use the pink stuff in the traps and run it through my washing machine pump and don't use it until warmer weather.. I disconnect and drain the ice maker.

It is so much easier than the pink stuff and if i decide to make another trip it's easy to do it again.

As for the wet bay: I run one of these little things on low (175 watt) setting.

I blow down the same way and do not use any auxiliary heat and have never had any problems on several campers with temperature in the teens sometimes. I hate to put the pink stuff in my water system because it takes at least a season to get rid of the taste.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I try to always default to safe, especially here in CO. You got some peace of mind OP. Enjoy Florida!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
I have somewhat of the same problem as the author. I live in southernmost coastal NC and going to Florida January mid-month. Have been told that I need not winterize since seldom does temperatures go below 25 degrees for an extended time. Here it might be 25 at night but 50 during the day. Next night might not even get to freezing. My unit is at an outside storage facility with no access to electricity so what precautions can I take??

So, the the question continues in my mind. I hate to drive to Florida in Late January to hookup and have leaks.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the pink stuff for 20 years. Last year I bought a small air compressor that I can regulate to 50 psi. Now, after draining the tanks and bupassing the water heater, I hook it to my water inlet and go from point to point, allowing the air to blow through until there is little or no water coming through. I still use the pink stuff in the traps and run it through my washing machine pump and don't use it until warmer weather.. I disconnect and drain the ice maker.

It is so much easier than the pink stuff and if i decide to make another trip it's easy to do it again.

As for the wet bay: I run one of these little things on low (175 watt) setting.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
i gather you were not staying in it for those days so winterizing is the safe and smart way to go. Even if living in it the use of washer fluid for flushing and bottled water is not bad for the peace of mind.

jonlin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who responded. Some really great advice made our decision a little tougher. We fell to the conservative side and had the coach winterized since we were looking at a couple days in the mid 20s and still 10-15 days before we leave. Thanks again for all the information... John

scabello
Explorer
Explorer
Turn furnace on and put a heat source (light bulb, and not the LED ones, lol) in the plumbing bay.
My troubles with being in very cold usually center around non plumbing items. For example, the bay TV was damaged while camping in sub-zero temperature (TVs do not do well when exposed to cold -- especially if not used and just laying there). I would not have thought of keeping that bay compartment warm and did not see the damage until months later when I wanted to use the TV.
The salt from the roads is terrible too if you run into that.. even getting the rig washed multiple times, the surface rust looks terrible.
Do not drive in the salt is my biggest suggestion

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't notice if you mentioned what type of heater you have. If it's an Aqua Hot you will need to do nothing but disconnect you water hose. The 20's for a few hours overnight is a non-issue is a good MH. Just the act of living in it will keep the lines safe.

We've been in ours when the overnight temps dropped into the teens without an issue. Also of note is that the inverter/charger puts out a lot of heat in it's own right.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
So far I'm O.K. we've had snow 2 days ago (very rare in my area), and the cold coming down from AK. has us in the mid 20*'s for 2 days now! Clear and cold again tonight and a 1/2 foot of snow coming on Thursday. I've had my furnace on in my RV since the start of this storm along with my compartment lights on at night. So far no problems!

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
From my reading you are living in the coach while traveling. I assume you are connected to electricity. That means you will keep it warmer than usual and will run the water from time to time. Closing unnecessary slides will help in the cold. I also use windshield washer fluid to flush the toilet. It is rated for very cold and will keep black tank from freezing when mixed with water. Running the water every couple of hours should keep things from freezing in any low points. Don't open the bays unless absolutely needed. Placing a sensor in the wet bay for remote thermometer will give you peace of mind.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Open all your cabinet doors open at night, so the coach warmth can keep poorly insulated pipes from freezing.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We just faced the same decision. We are leaving for FL Sunday. We live in NE Tennessee 45 mi N of Asheville. A few weeks ago I just blew the lines and drained all tanks and some pink in all drains. With 15 deg forcast for Friday AM and daytime high under freezing it is nice not to worry. I thought about heat lamps, furnace, etc, but why worry? Just drain everything, blow the lines and put pink into the drains and relax.,
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley