cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fueling up on trips

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a 30 foot TT and always face the issue of finding a filling station where we can get in, fill up and get out. So many places have pumps close to their buildings with access to all but maybe one outside pump impossible to use. Flying Js are the worst offenders in my area.
So ... we were thinking of going to a diesel pusher so we could use the truck lanes. But that got me to thinking.
What do gasoline powered Class As and larger Class Cs do about this problem of pump access?
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
34 REPLIES 34

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are 36' gas coach with a utility trailer behind for a total length of 48'. We use regular stations all the time and have only had a couple in over 5 years of full time that we could not get into/out of. We usually use an outside pump lane. We rarely use truck stops.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
What does Pacific Pride get you. Just a CC for their pumps or is there a discount even at Sheetz?

What if I just fuel. Isn't fueling up like drying off, flying away? HMMMMMMMMMM..

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
HPYHILM wrote:
After many years of driving around to find a station to get fuel and driving by all the empty easy in and out Pacific Pride stations , I finally signed up and glad I did. No more waiting in line at the dirty truck stops with fuel all over the ground. Best stress reliever ever.

we did the same thing a few years back. my only gripe is their prices aren't posted.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

HPYHILM
Explorer
Explorer
After many years of driving around to find a station to get fuel and driving by all the empty easy in and out Pacific Pride stations , I finally signed up and glad I did. No more waiting in line at the dirty truck stops with fuel all over the ground. Best stress reliever ever.
Hpyhilm
NW Washington
2008 Monaco Knight 38PDQ

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't want to meet folks who don't have complete control of their vehicle on the road, in a CG or a rest area.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I own a gas coach and I never have had a problem getting in or out of a gas station that cars go into.

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
I don't want to be a troll about this, but if you're having trouble getting in and out of a Flying J you really need to seriously upgrade your RV driving skills. We are over 44' with the Bus, tow a long bed extended cab pickup with a 4'+ hitch and get in and out of local stations and "Quickstops" all over the country, Canada, and Alaska. Yes, sometimes you need to wait for the fool who parked with his vehicle way out of a spot while he gets hes cigs and lottery ticket, but I've NEVER had to unhook at a gas stop. Sometimes we do get DW out to check if the fuel hose will reach and sometimes I will block an adjacent pump or part of an entrance/exit, but this is very seldom. Please, please, please drive more. Practice your skills in a parking lot or open field. It'll also save you money on body work and keep your blood pressure and stress level down.

Kinda judgy, don't ya think:h

Flying J's with RV pumps are excellent although they are few and far between. Not to be confused with the diesel truck lanes (although sometimes they are situated next to them) these are gas pumps located specifically where it's easier for a gasser to maneuver, fill up, dump tanks, wash windows, etc. You can read about them and get a list of RV Locations HERE. Those are our first choice but, sadly, sometimes the gas guage doesn't agree. The FJs without the RV gas pumps are NEVER convenient. We found this especially true on our latest trip. With a 36' MH, tow dolly and toad, we are very limited in trying to maneuver around tight pump islands and inconsiderate "shoppers". Experience helps. We try to start with a full tank and then locate a convenient spot to fill up the next morning when we're out exploring in the toad during the afternoon.
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to be a troll about this, but if you're having trouble getting in and out of a Flying J you really need to seriously upgrade your RV driving skills. We are over 44' with the Bus, tow a long bed extended cab pickup with a 4'+ hitch and get in and out of local stations and "Quickstops" all over the country, Canada, and Alaska. Yes, sometimes you need to wait for the fool who parked with his vehicle way out of a spot while he gets hes cigs and lottery ticket, but I've NEVER had to unhook at a gas stop. Sometimes we do get DW out to check if the fuel hose will reach and sometimes I will block an adjacent pump or part of an entrance/exit, but this is very seldom. Please, please, please drive more. Practice your skills in a parking lot or open field. It'll also save you money on body work and keep your blood pressure and stress level down.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
We tow a 30 foot TT and always face the issue of finding a filling station where we can get in, fill up and get out. So many places have pumps close to their buildings with access to all but maybe one outside pump impossible to use. Flying Js are the worst offenders in my area.
So ... we were thinking of going to a diesel pusher so we could use the truck lanes. But that got me to thinking.
What do gasoline powered Class As and larger Class Cs do about this problem of pump access?

between our gas motorhome and toad we're roughly 60' long. we use the RV lanes at Flying J. over the last 30-years we've only found two J's that didn't have them. beyond that we always look for pumps oriented to be parallel to the roadway. worst case we look for a side entrance and aim for the pump nearest that. don't the J's in your area have a pair of RV lanes off to one side?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
If I anticipate a fuel stop, I will use GasBuddy to look ahead to see what the prevailing prices are in the area I will land. Often, the best prices for fuel are just a few blocks out of the way. Using Google maps in Satellite View, you can check out your approach and departure. There have been times when I passed on a station that looked difficult to navigate. My RV isn't all that big, but there are plenty of places that once you get in, you have to contend with tough traffic. One time I was determined to have dinner at a Cracker Barrel in Idaho, the last one before home. It was a bit off the beaten path I am glad that I checked the Satellite View. By looking ahead, I was able to be in the correct turn lanes and streets. With the busy traffic, I would have ended up miles down the road just to turn around to get back on track. In Ohio, I looked to see how an RV resort looked. I saw a less advertised place just 1/2 mile down the road that looked nice from the air. The stay that night with full hook-ups was free. They had a farm store where we loaded up on local products. I spotted something interesting using the Google street view: the unmistakeable front end of a Studebaker. I alerted a collector friend of the potential treasure. You never know what you'll see. Also, the map will reveal a good place to pull out of the way to make lunch, relax a bit and walk the dog.
Steve

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DO you use pull thru at CGs or do you also use back in sites....cause I have found more difficult maneuvering at a lot of CGs then ANY service station and we don't ever use trucker stations.

We always used small town regular service stations during our travels.

I look at it this way.....semi truck gets in/out to fill tanks so if he can maneuver that station so can I.

Had to back out of a couple over the years but hey that just adds to the 'skill level'.......gotta practice some where :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's really pretty simple. If you are below 1/2 tank or so, and you see a station with easy access, you stop. When you wait until the tank is near empty and you have to stop, then your choices will be limited.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
30' class A gas with toad. Just pull into about any Walmart or Sams and fill up, then drive out. Or most any modern quick mart. We avoid FJs and Pilots whenever possible. Just watch tail swing with the toad. Avoid stations that have big name food service(chicken, pizza, tacos), people block pumps while they go in and eat lunch

Just the opposite we had our Winnebago gasser 19,000 miles and used the rv pumps at FJ and Pilots etc whenever we could
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
among our coaches we drove a 36 gasser with tow'd for 110,000 miles over 8 years. Flying J were the easiest most of the time at their RV Islands most other truck stops we avoided. Looked for older stations with islands parallel to the store front. Once or twice we had to disconnect the tow'd and maneuver backwards to get out, that was in early years.

First rule was begin looking to a fuel stop before getting below 1/2 tank. That relieves the pressure to pull into an unsuitable/questionable location.

We are always "on the road" so we have become quite qdept at this.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Avoid stations that have big name food service(chicken, pizza, tacos), people block pumps while they go in and eat lunch

So True! I cant believe the number of times someone left a car sitting in an end pump (easier for me to navigate) to go in and eat lunch. THEN, they come back and pump gas. Oh I'm sorry I guess he was "entitled" to do that! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad