cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Wall Slide ??

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at an 07 Monaco product (Safari) with a full wall slide, just looking for comments pro and con concerning them. Are there many problems, mechanical or otherwise associated with them? Thanks
Brian
29 REPLIES 29

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slides are going to limit access to under storage in a typical DP. Like an above poster my wet bay is between the slides.

But why consider what slide failure could suspend travel??? How many other one failure items can do the same? Probably hundreds consider: Dead battery, bad starter switch, many many feet of wiring, flat tire, any tranny item, any engine item, etc.

I spent hours trying to get my front slides in due to: A failed Lipper hydraulic pump due to 2 major issues - A poor seal design (motor flooded with hydraulic fluid) and a totally botched design for manual retraction. I jury rigged the pump and got the slides in and Lipper replaced the pump. Did I mention that the new pump was a new design that replaced the old failed design?

I think you get my drift.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
If the Safari has the RR4R chassis, the trailing arms issue is a big thing and costs about 3000 to do right....if it is an RR8R chassis, then that's OK...I have seen some campsites that a full wall slide could hit the hookup post...also have seen full wall slide on pass side (ie Thor Tuscany 40X)..If you like it, go for it but make sure if it is the 4 air bag chassis, make sure the trailing arm recall, upgrade has been done.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Fleetwood with a full slide,we love the room it gives us. We try to be level though before we put the slide in and out. To us this is a minor problem like dealing with plumbing. I keep an old throw rug where I have to kneel to service it.;)

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
We bought ours new in 2011 and have not had any issues with the full wall slide. Coach is 43 feet and full wall slide is 23 feet. Hydraulically operated and moves slick as can be, just need to make sure 2 front windows or entrance door is open when slide moves - very large volume changing in a short time, you can feel the air blow through windows when slide moves.
The amount of space it opens up is great - would buy same floor plan again.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My full wall slide has always worked flawlessly and its a full 30 inches deep. We really like all the extra space it affords. I don't think I will ever have another coach without one.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

BudParrish
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2008 Monaco Diplomat SFT, bought in March 2008. I've put about 25,000 miles, mostly in short to mid-length trips. Every time we stop, I put out at least the full wall slide, even if it is just in a rest stop.

I've never had a moment's problem. Before I put the slide out, I extend my left arm putting my fingertips against the coach, starting at the front of the driver's side, and walk to the rear. If anything comes between my left shoulder and the coach, the slide cannot be put out.

It is true that the water and sewer connections are under the slide when it is out. In my walk, I set up the water connections and sewer, and electric - which is not really blocked.

When we are departing, I pull the slide in prior to emptying the tanks.

The full slide was the decision factor for me.

Bud

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
You can talk to a tech or you can talk to an owner. WE are happy owners. Only you can decide. We enjoy ours. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our rig used and it has a single, full wall slide. It was a bit out of alignment and had it adjusted. Closes flush every time, no problems.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
lanerd wrote:
When we were looking for a new coach, we had narrowed our choice down to one make/model that had two different floor plans. One had a full wall slide and the other had four slides. We opted for the four slide due to one reason. With the full slide, the wet bay would be located under the slide....with the four slides, the wet bay was inbetween the slides and easily accessed.

Minor detail, I know...

Ron

Again I skip ahead. but yes Ron, that was a consideration when picking our current coach. I hate bashing my head, tho I am quite good at it.

How about a full wall slide on the passenger side?
Never seen that.
Would let the awning be attached to the slide not the bus (and extend its coverage a couple feet)
Would be a good way to get over the (I hate a passenger side slide) syndrome without losing any interior space.

My full wall is on the passenger side and it is spectacular. Love, love, love it.....and I can camp curbside without being a menace 2 society.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basically, those that don't have one find an excuse or reason that they dislike them. Those that do have them seem to like them. We like ours very much with zero problems.

Choose whatever floor plan you like and just go camping.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
When we were looking for a new coach, we had narrowed our choice down to one make/model that had two different floor plans. One had a full wall slide and the other had four slides. We opted for the four slide due to one reason. With the full slide, the wet bay would be located under the slide....with the four slides, the wet bay was inbetween the slides and easily accessed.

Minor detail, I know...

Ron

Again I skip ahead. but yes Ron, that was a consideration when picking our current coach. I hate bashing my head, tho I am quite good at it.

How about a full wall slide on the passenger side?
Never seen that.
Would let the awning be attached to the slide not the bus (and extend its coverage a couple feet)
Would be a good way to get over the (I hate a passenger side slide) syndrome without losing any interior space.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
Looking at an 07 Monaco product (Safari) with a full wall slide, just looking for comments pro and con concerning them. Are there many problems, mechanical or otherwise associated with them? Thanks
Brian

supercub,
Regardless of the floor plan and besides it looking like a gymnasium on the inside of the coach when the slide is extended, one of the major problems of a full wall slide is the fact that many, are driven by, up to (4) separate motors. And, each of those motors and operating controls, MUST BE IN FLAWLESSLY PERFECT SYNC in order for that slide to retract and or, extend. If just one of them gets out of sync, the entire slide stays out and, of the threads I've read where that's happened, no one's been able to get it back in without having a tech come out and do it.

Now, just how many times that happens, who knows. But, another very important aspect to consider is, with no slides at all, you have a pretty solid, basic frame/structure 360 degrees around that coach. Now, add any slides and, you've eliminated some of that structure and strength. Now, add a full wall slide, you've lost a serious amount of structural strength in that side of the coach.

I'TS A BIG HOLE! Sure, it gives you the feeling of a monsterous room, like being in a stix & brix house but, at what could be, a serious cost. I'm not trying to scare you, or diswade you from purchasing one. You asked for opinions and this one is mine. I personally will not even consider one. It's a matter of personal preference.

The wife and I don't even like slides on the passenger side because we sit outside our coach quite a bit and, we think it detracts from usable outside space. Again, it's a preference. You have to decide what's right for you.

Here's what my last thought on it would be. I'd go directly to a quality RV repair center and talk not necessarily to a supervisor or, service writer but, I'd try and go directly to a tech that works on those full wall slides and get a very first hand opinion, of thought AND EXPERIENCE of those full wall slides and, what is good (if any) and bad about them. Just some thoughts here, Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Minor detail, I know...

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We did find a few RV parks where we had to ask for another site. If we call ahead we always tell them we have a full slide. The other thing that is suggested and different from other RVs is the jacks Vs slide operation. My manual says to open slide before using the jacks because of flexing in the chassis and possible damage. My slide is hydraulic and haven't had any problems so far. It is pretty roomy with the large slide.

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
One to think about is where you like to go, are there obstructions that would keep you from opening the slide? This can happen with smaller slides even.

With multiple slides you have the option of "straddling" the obstruction or even leaving one smaller slide in if required.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset