cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas mileage

mhb1382
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, happy to join the experts.
I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 Tioga 31 footer with 450 10 valve engine and I'm concerned about the gas mileage. Greatly appreciate feedback. Thanks.
53 REPLIES 53

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a trip where we towed a Jeep Wrangler up some 8% and 11% grades. Overall mileage was around 6 MPG for the trip .... and TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Jose

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
jbarry wrote:
If you're worried about gas mileage, you're joining the wrong life-style. Think about how much money you'll save on eating out and lodging!

Egg....zactly!!!!! I remind my self that ever so often Ha!.

Gotta learn to cook some better meals. Fair so far is;

eggs on toast.

milk

cereal

tuna sandwiches

rootbeer.

Got $200 of tuna at Costco in ANC for the pups. Still have 24-cans left since the 6th. I sneak one ever so often but make sure they don't catch me ha!.

RR

jbarry
Explorer
Explorer
If you're worried about gas mileage, you're joining the wrong life-style. Think about how much money you'll save on eating out and lodging!

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
mhb1382 wrote:
Hello everyone, happy to join the experts.
I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 Tioga 31 footer with 450 10 valve engine and I'm concerned about the gas mileage. Greatly appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Avg 8-9 mpg and you wont be too far off. If that isn't acceptable to you, there are other forms of RVs that do better. An example is a family member's 19' Escape trailer pulled by a V6 4runner. It usually gets 15 MPG on a trip.

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
RR,

I use a Wilson antenna on the rear roof ladder and a Wilson 12 volt cellular amplifier to get the Internet in our Class C motorhome. With this setup I can often connect to Verizon cellular towers in places where my bare phone shows no bars.

Zowie Batman. That sounds like the trick.

Was gonna pick up the mi-fi package on my way to Boise in a day or two.

I'm gonna search the net for the Wilson gear while I have access here at friends in lower/middle Wa state.

Sure is pretty here. Columbia Gorge is amazing and the farms in the higher elevations are rolling hills growin wheat and hay for fodder. Lots of farm animals and quite a few wineries also.

Oh..a water line crew, a few lots away, saw 3-Cougars 2-days ago and got picks I hear tell.

Thanks pnichols. Good tip.

RR

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RR,

I use a Wilson antenna on the rear roof ladder and a Wilson 12 volt cellular amplifier to get the Internet in our Class C motorhome. With this setup I can often connect to Verizon cellular towers in places where my bare phone shows no bars.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Worry...What me worry? no way....;)Ha!. That's why I retired..

I'm just curious what others are getting on their gas mileage and maybe ways to improve.

Happy camper here in Wa now. Headed to Wy soon.

Gotta fig out the internet access. Looks like Verizon Mi-Fi will work for $#50/mo especially after I go east of Wy.

Happy trails all.

RR

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with IAMICHABOD. My old girl gets about 7. Whatcha gonna do? I got the rig for $5800 and am into it less than $10k even after a boat load of work. I have exactly the floorplan I want, in exactly the size rig I want, I know the exact condition of the whole rig and I can take it to a shop without fear of getting gouged because I do know the condition. Best of all, it is completely paid off and I don't have to worry about compounding costs of purchase payment with whatever incidental maintenance or non-warranty repairs might be needed.

Only the most recent production models will give you "good" mileage, but the purchase price of a new unit in the size I want with the features I want, is a doggone fortune.

An RV is a luxury and you just have to understand that they are NOT going to get high mileage. I say, enjoy it for what it is and be happy.

Jose

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
My happiness threshold is having a house on wheels regardless of MPG :B

Which is an average of 9.4 MPG. Cruising at a respectful 62 MPH

On my Chevy based 6.0 Vortec, weighing in at 11800LBS fully loaded with gas water food and everything needed for the next adventure..........
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess a question begging to be asked is: "How come some folks must have a house on wheels that gets 15 MPG or they're not happy, while others are happy with a house on wheels that gets only 8 MPG?"

The house on wheels MPG happiness threshold seems to be all over the map. :h

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I had posted this before If you consider buy a coach and you worries are MPG why are you buying it then? You are getting a house on wheels not a VW
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Sabluka wrote:
Anyone use syn in the older V-10s?

I'm not quite sure how old "older" is, but I've been using Mobil 1 EP (Extended Performance) in my late 2005 E450 V10 almost since it was new.

We can average close to 10 MPG on level roads cruising at 55-57 MPH. We weigh 11,800-12,000 lbs. fully loaded. There's no engine sound at these speeds and the tach reads around 2000-2100 RPM. The E450 chassis has lower differential gearing than an E350 chassis, so gas mileage may suffer a bit with an E450 if you keep your foot in it too much. I've made up for some/most of our E450's lower differential gearing gas mileage hit by using tires on it of a larger diameter than what Ford usually delivers on the bare E350/E450 chassis going to RV manufacturers. Hence, we get the other advantages of the E450 chassis over the E350 chassis without suffering too much from it's lower rear end gear ratio.

I'll chk the larger tires. Tanks. Gotta be an equation for it yeah?

I dont expect to get 10 but wld be happy with 9. I drive 65-mph everywhere less it's not safe. Seems easy safe speed for the rig.

RR

ggents
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact rig. 1999 Fleetwood Tioga W. on a 450 Ford with a V10 engine. We love the coach but have never gotten over 7 mpg driving 62 mph. We do often tow a car but notice very little change in mileage. It costs about 50 cents a mile just for gas ( a easy way to budget for the trip) In my opinion RVing is still the way to go!!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sabluka wrote:
Anyone use syn in the older V-10s?

I'm not quite sure how old "older" is, but I've been using Mobil 1 EP (Extended Performance) in my late 2005 E450 V10 almost since it was new.

We can average close to 10 MPG on level roads cruising at 55-57 MPH. We weigh 11,800-12,000 lbs. fully loaded. There's no engine sound at these speeds and the tach reads around 2000-2100 RPM. The E450 chassis has lower differential gearing than an E350 chassis, so gas mileage may suffer a bit with an E450 if you keep your foot in it too much. I've made up for some/most of our E450's lower differential gearing gas mileage hit by using tires on it of a larger diameter than what Ford usually delivers on the bare E350/E450 chassis going to RV manufacturers. Hence, we get the other advantages of the E450 chassis over the E350 chassis without suffering too much from it's lower rear end gear ratio.