cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas mileage

mhb1382
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, happy to join the experts.
I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 Tioga 31 footer with 450 10 valve engine and I'm concerned about the gas mileage. Greatly appreciate feedback. Thanks.
53 REPLIES 53

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
There ought to be a "stickies" saying that "Typical Class C motorhomes get 7-9 mpg under average driving conditions". Another might say "Lazy Daze, Born Free, and a few others are generally thought to be the best quality. They cost a lot more new but resell for more money used." "Old motorhomes may be a good deal if you can do most repair and replacement work yourself". Most really old rigs sell for around $5000 despite new tires, repairs and upgrades. Don't spend too much more on an old motorhome than you can sell it for. For every generalization, individuals will point out their exceptional experience which does not make the generalization untrue.

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah the 8.5 was overloaded and thru hills etc in Canada.

I'll be headin for Wy in 10-days. Interstate all the way.

Plus I've stripped and shipped most of the weight I added and all the cooking gear and pillows the previous owner's wife added. Man she had corning ware cooking pots and pans and casserole dishes stacked like a picture puzzle in the drawers. If you removed one, you'd never get it back less ya placed it exactly like she had it. Ha!. A real riot Alice!...

Hope to weight it before I head out.

I'll be sure to post my mileage.

Oh..the friend I stay in Wa builds and races. He has 2 drivers. FYI...he said if the Triton has flat tappets you need to add oil with zinc in it. If you have roller tappets, you can use reg oil or syn.

Anyone use syn in the older V-10s?

RR

mechaso
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 28Z with a V10. I've had it out for 2 trips. I'm getting 8.3 mpg. Not very good, but it's about what I expected.

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna repack and head for Wy ranch. I packed hurridly and over loaded some.

Gonna mail out all I can to lighten the load.

BTW, I had brake porbs and N'side Ford in Tacoma took me right in at 8pm and out but 11:30. Great survice. If you need surviceon light or heavy duty chassis near there I highly recommend them.

RR

kellybelly
Explorer
Explorer
K

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
31ft V-10
12mpg without toad. With toad 10-11. If I ever got 7 mpg I'd sell it! :B

Some folks don't realize you're making a joke. :R

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I budget for 7.5, occasionally get better, but don't think about it anymore.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I get 8 if you get it, you doing good but don't count much better just enjoy what you get.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Motorhomes push a lot of air. If it hurts when you calculate MPG, stop doing that. A MH wouldn't get good mileage if it fell out of a tree.
If you want to get better mileage, drive expressways. In the right hand lane. Slow down to the posted minimum. You'll never have to pass anybody and your mileage will be as good as it gets - lousy. An added benefit: You'll never have to pass a semi except on long uphills.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Vintmxman
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
weight is a major player to get it into motion, or when there is a change of plane. but once it is in motion it is easier to keep in motion. Now wind resistance is something that is a constant and can be increased while in motion due to increased wind flow across the surface either from speed or from natural causes. In an airplane there are the forces of weight, drag, and they play greatly on an aircraft and its performance.

Agreed, however we are not driving airplanes here. we are driving Motorhomes that go up and down hills, around for corners , accelerate and decelerate constantly., that's reality, ..not apples to apples in any discussion ...Two totally different animals and principals. I'm done on this subject....carry on .

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
weight is a major player to get it into motion, or when there is a change of plane. but once it is in motion it is easier to keep in motion. Now wind resistance is something that is a constant and can be increased while in motion due to increased wind flow across the surface either from speed or from natural causes. In an airplane there are the forces of weight, drag, and they play greatly on an aircraft and its performance.

Vintmxman
Explorer
Explorer
Adding a compact size toad load and filling the empty spaces in the coach moderately , one can realize easily a 25 percent increases in total weight while still being well within the Vehicles GVWR..... That's a substantial increase in load which can easily be calculated directly to fuel consumption and economy. In short, mathematically speaking , Weight is a huge factor that can be directly related to fuel consumption. Much more significant than vehicle aerodynamics all things being equally considered and calculated. In laymen's terms, my diesel Chevy gets 15 MPG unburdened, add a trailer and a 5 ton dozer , and low and behold it gets about 6 Mph....the aerodynamics of the truck itself remains unchanged. Weight is the biggest factor in gas mileage with these moving billboards. Look at the major auto manufacturers and their Engr., solution to mandated government fuel mileage ratings are reducing weight above any other Engr. principal.
My educated 2 cents.....:B

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
But what percentage of weight in the typical RV is optional weight, not much IMO, so snowman9000 is not far off in his thinking. Again IMO.

Vintmxman
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
Sabluka,

Believe what you see and not what you read.
๐Ÿ™‚

The weight is a minor influence on RV MPG. Wind resistance is the biggie, by far.

Really, weigh is minor ..? explain the math behind this statement. You may have invented a new principal where everything taught in modern day physics to date has been incorrect....

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
super_camper wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
31ft V-10
12mpg without toad. With toad 10-11. If I ever got 7 mpg I'd sell it! :B

This is incredible mileage. I have a 31ft V10 with 62,000 miles that I have owned since new. All maintenance was done as per the Ford manual. I have averaged about the same mileage since new, 8MPG or just under without towing and 7.1 or so with a tow. I do not exceed 65MPH or the mileage goes downhill quickly.

What is your secret to get a 50% to 70% improvement in mileage?

only do mileage checks on the downhill runs. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v