cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gas or diesel?

blkcloud01
Explorer
Explorer
In the market for a motorhome, sold my pull behind camper.. looking to spend around 40k.. will probably use it 3-4 times a year.. just wondering.. about gas or diesel.. from what I have been seeing for sale, I can buy a 2000 diesel pusher or I can buy a newer gas say a 2005 for the same money.. your opinions please..thanks!
49 REPLIES 49

Koop
Explorer
Explorer
ymehp wrote:
My thoughts as well. Local dealer was trying to sell me on an upgraded hitch as all my area tracks are within 100 miles. Obviously he wants to make a sale and the few weekends I am towing in the summer I feel I would also be better off with a diesel.
Thanks

It's not just the hitch capacity. You have to look at the drivetrain (i.e. transmission and final drive) as well as the chassis capacity. I don't think you'll find anything but a diesel to pull the weight you want to pull.
Mike
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS
400HP Cummins ISL

ymehp
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts as well. Local dealer was trying to sell me on an upgraded hitch as all my area tracks are within 100 miles. Obviously he wants to make a sale and the few weekends I am towing in the summer I feel I would also be better off with a diesel.
Thanks
2012 Dutchmen 318RKDS
2006 Ford F-250 6.0 4x4 Crew Cab

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
ymehp wrote:
How well can one tow with a gasser? Looking to tow 7000 - 10000 lb behind my unit.

Unfortunately, nothing I can think of in the Gas arena has a GCWR high enough over the curb weight to allow for that. You would be looking at a diesel for that much capacity.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

ymehp
Explorer
Explorer
How well can one tow with a gasser? Looking to tow 7000 - 10000 lb behind my unit.
2012 Dutchmen 318RKDS
2006 Ford F-250 6.0 4x4 Crew Cab

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
I'm just trying to think of what kind of gas engine would push our 40,000 lb. coach where we have 425 hp and 1,200 lb. ft. of torque and we have averaged about 7.2 mpg over 65,000 miles.

MM.

Why, were you looking to replace your engine for some reason?

An earlier poster said that they have a 400 hp gas engine with 500 lb. ft. of torque. That engine would be screaming in our coach.

I think the comparison should be between a gas front engine vs. a diesel front engine. Somebody probably knows this answer but I was wondering what hp and torque the Ford diesel engine has.

MM.

It would be revving to be sure to put out that 400 hp. To some of us it is a beautiful sound. I'm sure that sentiment isn't shared everyone or most wives trying to have a conversation.

Now that I am thinking of it, a hidden kickdown switch by the brake pedal could come in handy at times...

At a race or a tractor pull, I love that sound! When trying to listen to my Jazz there is no place for it.

Obviously none of you have been in a newer v10 coach. It is not as loud as you think. Not even close. We can carry on normal conversations with no problem.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
I'm just trying to think of what kind of gas engine would push our 40,000 lb. coach where we have 425 hp and 1,200 lb. ft. of torque and we have averaged about 7.2 mpg over 65,000 miles.

MM.

An earlier poster said that they have a 400 hp gas engine with 500 lb. ft. of torque. That engine would be screaming in our coach.

I think the comparison should be between a gas front engine vs. a diesel front engine. Somebody probably knows this answer but I was wondering what hp and torque the Ford diesel engine has.

MM.

It would be revving to be sure to put out that 400 hp. To some of us it is a beautiful sound. I'm sure that sentiment isn't shared everyone or most wives trying to have a conversation.

Now that I am thinking of it, a hidden kickdown switch by the brake pedal could come in handy at times...

At a race or a tractor pull, I love that sound! When trying to listen to my Jazz there is no place for it.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:

MM.

MM.

1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
timmac wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
timmac wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have a pusher. My friend just bought a gasser with a V-10 Ford motor and I drove it home about 100mi for him----that thing sounded like a hurricane under my feet at 60--65mph. That alone would keep me away from a gasser. Get yourself a used high end pusher for that money--American Eagle, Foretravel, etc comes to mind. Stay away from the entry level pushers as they are just that.

Yep my F-53 sounded that way at 1st, but than I bought heat/sound proofing material and did the dog house and floor area under driver/passenger seats and now its so quiet I can here my radio at low volume and can now talk with wife without having to speak up..

Gassers just needs some improvements and than they will almost as good as a diesel but half the cost..

:C

Define "almost as good?"

Well that can be difficult to explain completely but I will give you a short version, most diesel chassis come with all the upgrades for better ride and such, however a gas chassis can also be upgraded by owner at 1/2 what the diesel cost such as airbags, stabilizers, sound proofing materials, etc, etc, where a diesel can win out is in hp and torque, however my 08 f-53 with the banks system does have 400 hp and 500 torque lbs does get around pretty good at 7 mpg and gas cost is usually 50 cents less per gal compared to diesel, repair cost on a f-53 will always be less, parts will be less and repair shops will be more available, I will end this here but others can add more if they wish..

Some valid point but some clarification might be in order.

Granted diesel costs more but the better fuel economy with a diesel offsets a goodly portion on the fuel difference. You have to look at the total fuel cost over a typical trip. For example on a 1,000 mile trip at 7.0 mpg vs a diesel at 8.5 mpg you actually spend $30.00 LESS for diesel. An upside for the diesel would be the topically longer range due to more fuel capacity.

As for repairs, I suspect that is only true for the Chassis parts such as suspension, steering, and etc since all the "stuff" used for living is the same as in a DP. I would suspect that for coaches of near the same wt, the chassis components are pretty much the same regardless of the engine type. Granted oil changes would be ~$80.00/year more but aside from that I'm not sure maintenance is a huge difference.

On the service center point, I'm afraid I would have to challenge that assertion. These is no end to facilities to service a DP and unless you are looking at a very small gasser access to locations can become a limiting factor.

Just my thoughts.

Lost all credibility with your first statement about fuel economy. Will never be true. Didn't even bother reading the rest. No one is arguing one is better. But apparently you are.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:

MM.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

MM.

1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
timmac wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have a pusher. My friend just bought a gasser with a V-10 Ford motor and I drove it home about 100mi for him----that thing sounded like a hurricane under my feet at 60--65mph. That alone would keep me away from a gasser. Get yourself a used high end pusher for that money--American Eagle, Foretravel, etc comes to mind. Stay away from the entry level pushers as they are just that.

Yep my F-53 sounded that way at 1st, but than I bought heat/sound proofing material and did the dog house and floor area under driver/passenger seats and now its so quiet I can here my radio at low volume and can now talk with wife without having to speak up..

Gassers just needs some improvements and than they will almost as good as a diesel but half the cost..

Define "almost as good?"

Well that can be difficult to explain completely but I will give you a short version, most diesel chassis come with all the upgrades for better ride and such, however a gas chassis can also be upgraded by owner at 1/2 what the diesel cost such as airbags, stabilizers, sound proofing materials, etc, etc, where a diesel can win out is in hp and torque, however my 08 f-53 with the banks system does have 400 hp and 500 torque lbs does get around pretty good at 7 mpg and gas cost is usually 50 cents less per gal compared to diesel, repair cost on a f-53 will always be less, parts will be less and repair shops will be more available, I will end this here but others can add more if they wish..

Some valid point but some clarification might be in order.

Granted diesel costs more but the better fuel economy with a diesel offsets a goodly portion on the fuel difference. You have to look at the total fuel cost over a typical trip. For example on a 1,000 mile trip at 7.0 mpg vs a diesel at 8.5 mpg you actually spend $30.00 LESS for diesel. An upside for the diesel would be the topically longer range due to more fuel capacity.

As for repairs, I suspect that is only true for the Chassis parts such as suspension, steering, and etc since all the "stuff" used for living is the same as in a DP. I would suspect that for coaches of near the same wt, the chassis components are pretty much the same regardless of the engine type. Granted oil changes would be ~$80.00/year more but aside from that I'm not sure maintenance is a huge difference.

On the service center point, I'm afraid I would have to challenge that assertion. These is no end to facilities to service a DP and unless you are looking at a very small gasser access to locations can become a limiting factor.

Just my thoughts.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
timmac wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Define "almost as good?"

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
All depends on how you really use it. If it is really 3-4 times per year renting might put you ahead, depending on the miles you drive. I really like what we have, my brother loves his V-10 C. He paid more for his new than I did for mine used.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350