cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator won't stay on.

texasredeye
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering. Gen set will not run long when coach is in motion. Running down the hwy, start gen set (need 110vac) and the gen set will run for 10 seconds to 2 minutes then cut off. Must restart and same short run. Cuts off then start again, etc. Any ideas why gen set will not stay running when RV is moving down the hwy?
14 REPLIES 14

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
May want to try this...locate the remote start/stop switch wire harness
where it plugs into genset..is on right side as you are facing set. unplug it, then start set from gen switch. Now road test to see if still shuts off. If not , then you probably have a short in wire harness to remote (dash switch). I have seen these harnesses poorly routed against exhaust pipes, brake cables, even between spring leaves!
If it still shuts off, then you likely have a fuel delivery issue. Make sure fuel filler cap properly venting also

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not that familiar with Generacs. Many small engines are very picky about oil levels. Some rigs the genset is not in the rig level, so when it is running and oil is in upper part of engine, the oil sensor is exposed.
Should be kept to near the max indication.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Check the oil level

X2 on the oil level. Same unit as yours, my oil level I thought was OK as it was in the normal range on the dipstick. Was told that the oil level needed to be at the max position on the dipstick. I now keep it at max and no more cutting out when traveling. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If a APU runs stationary with no problems, The most common reason a GAS APU stops while in transit is LOW oil. When in transit if low oil level, the oil will slosh when accelerating or braking or hard turns. This causes the Oil Pressure switch to lose pressure momentarily and shuts the APU down. Doug

bryantclan
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem on our last gas rig, it turned out to by the fuel pump. It would run fine while not moving but at highway speeds it would stop after X number of minutes and then give us a code 32.

We very annoying because I could never troubleshoot it while stopped, and had to try a number of different things before landing on the fuel pump.

Shaun
Shaun & Jarese
3 Kids, Nicholas 15, Alex 11, Cassie 8 Years
Denver, Co
Newmar AllStar 3950 (mid-engine diesel)
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Toad or Jeep Grand

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect loose electrical connection .. maybe on fuel pump, maybe on circuit board, etc. I would rank degraded fuel line theory lower as I suspect that issue would be same if rig was running or not. Just my 02.
Kevin

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
How old is the coach? I'm wondering if the rubber fuel line is starting to degrade and with vibration the line is allowing air in the line and you're losing fuel pump suction.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

texasredeye
Explorer
Explorer
CANAMKID wrote:
How much gas is in the tank? The fuel pick-up could be set high.

Located in left rear behind wheel well. Fuel pick up seems likely but seems to be the same drill even with a full tank. i know with 1/4 or less it won't run but full? Something to check, though.

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Does it stumble and die, or suddenly die? If it stumbles, I would suspect fuel delivery, as in fuel pump or fuel lines. Vibration could cause bad connection to pump, or allow lines to suck air.

If it dies suddenly, like you turned it off on purpose, I suspect an electrical connection in the ignition system.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
How much gas is in the tank? The fuel pick-up could be set high.
CanAmKid

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Where is the genset located?
Could be that it is being starved for air.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

texasredeye
Explorer
Explorer
Generac Guardian Quietpac 55. Model 004702-0. Oil level perfect. Gasoline powered. Gen set runs great when coach is sitting still with or without engine running. Just won't keep running when coach is in motion.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check the oil level
Make and model of genset?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please post some more details regard the generator. Gas, diesel, propane? Manufacture? Size and such. Otherwise we get into something a kid to three blind men describing an elephant.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53