cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good deal?

Jim_Bride
Explorer
Explorer
Ex mother in law has 1999 Southwind with big block Chevy gas engine. She wants 10k for the thing which has been sitting for over a yr. It has 99,000 on odometer. What's the life expectancy of the tranny on one of these...good deal or not?
9 REPLIES 9

desiphil
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good deal if it checks out mechanically and all the house features work. If there are problems, it could turn in to a bad deal fast. Just be sure to add up replacement costs on individual components (tires, batteries, appliances, etc.)

Check belts/hoses for cracks. Check dates on battery, tires. Check underbody for rust. Walk/stomp around floor near all slides, windows, shower, toilet etc to check for soft spots. Look for weird ceiling stains.
2017 Ford F-350 DRW
2012 Cardinal 3450RL

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Bride wrote:
Ex mother in law has 1999 Southwind with big block Chevy gas engine. She wants 10k for the thing which has been sitting for over a yr. It has 99,000 on odometer. What's the life expectancy of the tranny on one of these...good deal or not?

In addition to what's already been said, if the rig is over 15K GVWR, you might check it for autopark. If so equipped, check it out thoroughly and then educate yourself on the system, if you choose to buy it.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
The drivetrain should be fine at that mileage if it was serviced properly. As far as the price, that also is influenced by which model Southwind and the condition of everything of course. It could be a great price or it could be average.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Is that something that will work for you? If not, it isn't a good deal.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find out how old the tires are (years and miles), plan on a complete service of all fluids (including brake fluids) and all filters (engine and generator). Battery ages and type but I would budget new ones in most all cases. I think for a private sale the $ amount is too high to start but if you take that price and subtract what it's going to cost to bring it up to par you might find some mutual ground. Every coach loses value everyday so the sooner she can get rid of it the better off she will be.
I agree that buying from anyone you intend to continue a relationship with is a very big mistake. However, if you both understand what is and what is not you should be able to continue to get along.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Two words kind of stood out "mother in law" and "ex".lol.Take it to someone who can give you a real good check out.You know if you have a problem after buying it that your relationship with her is gone.I never ever buy from relatives or friends for that reason.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, welcome to the forum.
Was the Southwind used to tow anything, trailer/toad?
Take it for a drive and see how the transmisson works, check the fluid to see if it's clean.
If you make the purchase, I would have the transmission serviced. Then you will know when it was done.
As J-Rooster said, it may need tires.
I have a 96 Southwind, it works great. It has the original roof and it's holding up very well. It does not need replaced.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
It's all in the service records, as if transmission fluids were filtered per manufactures recommendations along with all other services like belt, hoses, wires, distributor, brakes, tires. Figure 7 tires if needed are about $2500. other services could be another $3,000 to get it roadworthy. The brakes probably will have rusted to the races so have the races greased first thing as they are known to not retreat and hold on to rotors causing drag and hot spots. Then the roof may need replacement if it's original at about $4500. If it needs just routine work and everything else is done it's probably worth around $20,000.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Bride wrote:
Jim, IMHO opinion you will wear out the inside of your coach before the engine and transmission. 2004 / 2005 my coach sat for over a year while I went thru a series of spinal cord operations, and my coach ran just fine after sitting a year. If the coach wasn't abused (sounds like it wasn't since your buying from family) you will be OK with the purchase! What might cost you is new tires if they are worn are cracked! Sounds like a good deal to me! Good Luck, Rooster P.S. Jim Welcome to RV.Net