Lexg34
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on a good GPS for class A Monaco between $ 200 and $ 300
24 REPLIES 24

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed out my old Cassette/CD/AM/FM radio for a new JVC stereo with Apple Car Play. I just did it yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but what little playing I did do, I like it so far. You plug your iPhone in and it displays your iPhone on it's screen. Or at least it shows the iPhone apps that you can use while driving. I do have Waze on my iPhone but I haven't checked to see if that works yet. The regular Google maps GPS works great. And you can use iHeart radio at the same time which is great since I've always had a difficult time getting a good radio signal in the RV.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

AAFD
Explorer
Explorer
I use my iPhone, with the coach radio mirror ability and RV Copilot and Inrix traffic app.

KC
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Towed Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
FMCA member

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:

"CoPilot RV calculates your route according to your vehicle size and class (height, weight and length), to prevent any dangerous or costly run-ins with low bridges."

https://copilotgps.com/us/rv-navigation/

Now I don't use that app. I just use WAZE and Google Maps but for 39 bucks, I give it a shot. Garmin puts out a new map every year or so. My phone is hooked to the web 24/7 and can be updated any time. Garmin doesn't tell me about cops, tires in the roadway or road construction like WAZE does. It looks like this CoPilot app does some of that too. Check it out.

I use Copilot for a while now, and I like it a lot. They update their maps as often as required (several times a year), and the map updates are for free.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Garmin 760 and have been happy with it.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Copilot RV and Waze on the tablet Verizon gave me when I switched from Sprint. The first year with TomTom I saw a few scary roads, so I backed it up with the eastern mountain guide.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dedicated GPS units cannot begin to keep up with the road changes the way that Google Maps and WAZE (owned by Google) can. Your dedicated GPS gets an update about 4 times per year. Google gets updated daily. While in San Marcos, TX one of the roads was shut down in one direction due to construction. Google Maps routed us around this closed road. When the road was re-opened it still tried to route us around the open road.....for about a week or 10 days. After that the routing showed the closed road as open and everything returned to normal. Not a chance that any GPS from any manufacturer could do that.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
I find that my phone is more useful than my GPS. The WAZE app is great. I also use MyRadar app for android. GPS is only as good as the last update. WAZE tells me about traffic and lots more. You can download google maps to use offline. Phones will kill off GPS.

https://www.waze.com/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acmeaom.android.myradar&hl=en

"Phones will kill off GPS." Not until you can enter your rig parameters in the phone navigation app to avoid taking routes inappropriate for your RV.

Rob

Well...... "Until" has already come and gone. You can do that today and it's only $39.99. From their web side:

"CoPilot RV calculates your route according to your vehicle size and class (height, weight and length), to prevent any dangerous or costly run-ins with low bridges."

https://copilotgps.com/us/rv-navigation/

Now I don't use that app. I just use WAZE and Google Maps but for 39 bucks, I give it a shot. Garmin puts out a new map every year or so. My phone is hooked to the web 24/7 and can be updated any time. Garmin doesn't tell me about cops, tires in the roadway or road construction like WAZE does. It looks like this CoPilot app does some of that too. Check it out.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
Garmin 760, expensive, but better than anything else out there

I agree with this statement. Nothing's perfect. The 760 has worked well for us, but occasionally I will ask DW to check routing on her phone. We were on the north coast of CA last month and the 760 was prompting me to turn. I thought it was nuts. Kept going. Turned into a real lousy country road. Wish I had turned.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
JFNM wrote:
Review of Garmin Dezl 760

Suggestions for non RV/truck GPS's generally seems to indicate that folks do not understand the features of these "better" units. The ability to enter coach height, width, length, and weight is necessary for the unit to successfully determine routes that are or are not acceptable.

Be aware that when using the features to set the length, width and height and weight of the MH, the 760 will take those parameters into account. Then when the DW gets out her cell phone, which doesn't care about anything, you will often get different routing. In tightly congested city or residential conditions, go with what the 760 says, not the cell phone.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Garmin's, one with traffic and one without, one is 5" the other is 6". I don't have a smart phone and neither does the DW. Our GPS's have never led us astray. Of course we have and use paper maps. Love the super plain 6" jobber do, it's very easy to read. Don't know the model numbers, don't need to.

Tens of thousands of miles and never a problem.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
Review of Garmin Dezl 760

Suggestions for non RV/truck GPS's generally seems to indicate that folks do not understand the features of these "better" units. The ability to enter coach height, width, length, and weight is necessary for the unit to successfully determine routes that are or are not acceptable.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
I use Map Quest on my phone. No extra cost. Down loaded the app. Between that and RVPARKY i had a great trip. Don't need a screen, it lets you know ahead of time what lane to be in and what turns to make. I did purchase a external speaker so i could hear it while laying on my dash. Drove over 6K last winter and did not go out of my way by 1/4 mile.
X-2

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
X whatever on Garmin.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin 760, expensive, but better than anything else out there
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar