cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS for the Motor Home?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
My GPS is going crazy. I updated about 6 months ago, and was working fine, up to a few weeks ago. It's now, taking around blocks to change direction, and today wanted to take me 9.2 miles past the exit I was suppose to turn off on.
So, what's a good GPS for the motor home? Thanks
Brian
32 REPLIES 32

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
talotto wrote:
"Waze" or "Google Maps" - both free apps for iPhone or Android phones.

Google Maps on an Android or iPhone is probably the most accurate of all of them because it gets updated frequently.....BUT....it only works if you have a cell signal! In many places around the country....that's not available.
Not true. I've used Waze without a cell signal (it downloads most of the route while it has a connection) and I've even downloaded Google maps directly to my phone to work offline.

I use my Rand McNally RV GPS built into the dash, but I also use Waze and Google maps on my Apple iPad mounted in my drink holder.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

shaky
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever happened to maps? I've used GPS in the past while touring on my motorcycle. It would have me taking roads that rapidly became single lane gravel tracks through the mountains on occasion. If you want to use GPS that's fine. Don't forget how to read a map. They come in very handy. JMHO

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I use the (paid) personal version of copilot on android devices. It uses the devices builtin GPS system, no addons needed.
In the setup screen, there are selections for car or RV, and you can put in your length and ht if RV.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
sdianel wrote:
We use CoPilot on our iPhone. It has an RV setting. Don't think it has low clearance info but we always stay on interstate or US Hwys anyhow.
. If you go to preferences and used RV mode you can input the height of your RV, and that will route you around low bridges and tunnels.

I was looking at the copilot website. Are you using the "personal" or "truck" navigation bundle to get the RV friendly version? Also, if you are using an ipad (not air) I assume you have to buy a gps add-on to make the system work? The website does not address this either.
Thanks
Bill
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
downloading sygic now, it does seem to be ok with the new motorola droid.
free 7 day trial on the droid, $24.99 on the ipad, will wait and see if I like it.

Thanks for the tip!
Jim M.
The "68"

My new blog

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wanted a large screen GPS for the coach but couldn't get past the cost. Got a Samsung Galaxy Tablet for Christmas and loaded GPS CoPilot app. Just waiting for warmer weather to try out. So far has worked out pretty well in the car. Always like multitasking stuff in the coach.

Also I programed a route in to the tablet that goes under the 11' 8" bridge in Durham and the app routed me around the bridge when I had height restriction turned. When I turned the restriction off it routed me under the bridge.

If you want to test the bridge is at 202 S Gregson St Durham, NC 27701 plus has a Web Site.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
sdianel wrote:
We use CoPilot on our iPhone. It has an RV setting. Don't think it has low clearance info but we always stay on interstate or US Hwys anyhow.
. If you go to preferences and used RV mode you can input the height of your RV, and that will route you around low bridges and tunnels.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
I've been a huge fan of copilot / android for several years now, but...
Several things have caused me to "look again"...

I upgraded my phone to a Motorola droid turbo, and copilot has a compatibility issue they can't solve.
I dropped my asus transformer and it is dead.
I bought an iPad...

So if anyone has a suggestion for a gps solution that is both ios and android, and hopefully will work on the droid turbo, I'm all ears.

Or I just buy copilot for the ipad, but I'm not sure I can function without gps on my phone.

I have been using Sygic for about 4 years on Android tablets and phones. One $20 license covers all our unit past, present and future.

It compares to Co-Pilot as you store the maps on the device, add or delete maps as you prefer, and use no broadband data. Tom-Tom provides the maps which are frequently updated. You can use it all over the world.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For even more responses search this Forum for GPS in the Class A section. You can minimize the responses by searching the results for manufacturers like `Garmin' or `Magellan' etc.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a huge fan of copilot / android for several years now, but...
Several things have caused me to "look again"...

I upgraded my phone to a Motorola droid turbo, and copilot has a compatibility issue they can't solve.
I dropped my asus transformer and it is dead.
I bought an iPad...

So if anyone has a suggestion for a gps solution that is both ios and android, and hopefully will work on the droid turbo, I'm all ears.

Or I just buy copilot for the ipad, but I'm not sure I can function without gps on my phone.
Jim M.
The "68"

My new blog

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
TomTom golive 1535TM, has lifetime traffic and maps plus the ability to make corrections that are uploaded and then downloaded to everybody else on a daily basis.You can also send them new roads, etc. and once they verify the change it gets sent out to everyone. I know because I've added a new road in my area.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Mine,a gar in, sometimes takes the long way when it does not have information on bridge height and such things. If I go that way it has a note on it that says unverified route. Maybe that's what your current one is doing. Try settings as others have said.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Garmin nuvi 755 for several years and in general it does a pretty good job. It does have the habit of sending me 10 miles north passed the logical interstate exit then back the to the exit it should have used but by putting a waypoint just after the proper turn off I can eliminate that. About a year ago I had to replace the battery as it as not working right.

I'd suggest that you contact Garmin, explain what it's doing and maybe they can advise what the problem is.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia