cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grille Guard on motorhome?

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this today at Flying-J. Has anyone ever seen a mh with a grille guard? Especially one this massive.

Hey, I'm not judging, critizing or anything else...
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum
23 REPLIES 23

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen many similar guards installed on the front of Class 8 HDT's, particularly those used in the construction, mining, and logging industries. Adapting one to a Class A chassis would not be all that difficult.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Get the deer alerts and mount them in the front grille and never have to worry about hitting a deer or other wildlife again....only problem I see it that they are too sensitive and kill all the wildlife along the highways ahead of me.....on one trip I counted over 25 dead deer along the road and another trip there were about six dead deer along with one big black dog. A couple of deer looked like they had exploded in the road....I suppose from the sub-sonic sound hitting them so hard. I am thinking about sending the alert units back to the factory and get them to turn them down a notch or two.

FC
Explorer
Explorer
I see the license is from Ontario, so maybe he lives in the region where moose on the road are quite common.
???
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

vtbig
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if it is hinged at the bottom.
Richard

2003 Safari Trek 3011
8.1 Workhorse/Allison

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen one on a Blue Bird. Wish I had one when we hit the deer in Ala last Mar. Motor home has been in the shop now for a month, wait, 5 weeks, getting 20k worth of damage fixed.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of putting a snow plow on my rig.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
I don't know about yours, but my motorhome has 6" rail frames right up to the very front of the coach, on each side. The 8kw Onan is set on slides mounted to those rails and that is pretty stout in my book.

That's a gasser. No place to brace the thing.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
I don't know about yours, but my motorhome has 6" rail frames right up to the very front of the coach, on each side. The 8kw Onan is set on slides mounted to those rails and that is pretty stout in my book.

Agree, ask the guy that pulled in front of our mh on the interstate than immediately stopped. You'd be amazed what a 7.5KW diesel generator can do to the back of an SUV.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
There is very little frame support in the front of a MH to attach a cow catcher like that to and in an vehicle accident will cause more damage then stop. It will work for animals and low speed bumps. The cap is designed to take a lot of the energy in a collision. Go into any RV body shop sometime and look at the damage and what little metal support is in the front. It's far easier to repair/replace a cap then repair frame damage!

SnoBear
Explorer
Explorer
I put one on our truck conversion 3 or 4 years ago. Hopefully I'll never get to test it out...

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Also great for the dummies that pass you, pull in front of you, and then slow down.
Looks like it came from a Kenworth or one of the other semis.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years ago a family from California had the front of their Pace Arrow, I think, destroyed when they hit an Elk, in Colorado.
Lots of deer around here and elsewhere
I think some version of that guard would be a smart investment.
Would have to have a custom one made of course. There is probably someone out there making them.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
No thought what so ever in the install, looks as if you need to remove the whole guard to just to check the oil.