Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handicap paking.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not wanting to Hijack another thread.

I have a question, about Handicap camp sites.

On a past camping trip I made reservation at a private camp ground,Thursday thru Sunday.

Upon arriving I was assigned a spot,when I found it, it was a Handicap space complete with signage and the large painted graphic on the paved site. I am not disabled and I thought it strange but checking back with the office they said that it was OK.

I am not asking about the morality of this but the legal part under ADA guidelines if I would be asked or forced to leave this site if it happens again. I could not find anything on this going thru the regs.

Just the facts please if you know them........:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
16 REPLIES 16

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
W4RLKR: These patrol citizens have been highly trained and NOT running wild. Mostly they are looking for vehicles that are not properly displaying tags at all. If you are displaying tags I doubt they would even stop or approach you. Too many others with NO tags at all to check out.

These are not "concerned" citizens and are in the uniform shirts of the sheriffs office and are in a marked sheriff's office vehicle. They are there to keep the handicapped slots open for people just like you and I.

Any law including handicapped parking is mostly useless unless there is some enforcement. I have seen it work.

No, we should not have to prove our disability to anyone, but there are so many cheaters today, I will do so for law enforcement only.

The rest can show me their medical degree, in the specialty that is germane to my disability, first. Proctologists need not apply. :B
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
🙂 Just going by what I've been told by store personnel and small businessmen!!!! I'd LOVE it if they'd start fining those people that abuse it!!!

You will be happy to know at least in some areas of Florida, volunteers are given ticket writing powers and are patrolling parking lots specifically looking for handicapped parking space abusers. Fine? $300.00.

As a disabled person, I say: "good job," even though I often leave those spaces vacant for someone that may need them worse than I. A power scooter does require me to park near the store.
BAD IDEA.
I'm a disabled person, have a permanent and total service connected disability. It is NOT apparent by merely looking at me. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was accosted by a "concerned citizen" who demanded to know why I was parking in a disabled parking spot. "You don't look handicapped!" is the usual statement I get from these mental giants. I do have a placard, a plate on one of my vehicles that states I am a disabled veteran, and a wallet card that states the same. I've had to show that card to a policeman or two based upon complaints by do-gooders who think every disability should be readily visible. If the federal and state government say I'm disabled (and they do) I don't think I should be forced to "prove" it to anyone who confronts me with a bug up their arse.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
In many jurisdictions, police may enforce laws, signage, etc. if invited to do so by the property owner.

Very common with convenience stores inviting police to enforce "no loitering" signs.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Private property with limited access.

They are complying with the "Spirit of the Law".
Now they can also advertise ADA compliance too.

How they apply it on Private Property with
Limited Access is up to them.

Being Private Property with Limited Access it
is out of the jurisdiction of Law Enforcement.
If it was OPEN to the general public then
Law Enforcement could enforce the signage,
just like at a shopping center.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Just going by what I've been told by store personnel and small businessmen!!!! I'd LOVE it if they'd start fining those people that abuse it!!!

You will be happy to know at least in some areas of Florida, volunteers are given ticket writing powers and are patrolling parking lots specifically looking for handicapped parking space abusers. Fine? $300.00.

As a disabled person, I say: "good job," even though I often leave those spaces vacant for someone that may need them worse than I. A power scooter does require me to park near the store.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
x2 what soos said. Also, handicap parking (camping or at the mall) is only enforced BY THE BUSINESS. The police or parking meter person don't enforce the regs generally. There might be city ordinances that say otherwise. If it was late in the afternoon, or too late for more reservations to be made, it's perfectly legal to use that campsite. thank you for being concerned!!!!

Maybe where you are, but in my part of the world, in public parking areas like the mall, (Florida) it is enforced BY THE POLICE.

State park camping areas have rangers to enforce with police backup.

Same for New Mexico.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
x2 what soos said. Also, handicap parking (camping or at the mall) is only enforced BY THE BUSINESS. The police or parking meter person don't enforce the regs generally. There might be city ordinances that say otherwise. If it was late in the afternoon, or too late for more reservations to be made, it's perfectly legal to use that campsite. thank you for being concerned!!!!

Maybe where you are, but in my part of the world, in public parking areas like the mall, (Florida) it is enforced BY THE POLICE.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:

Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
amandasgramma wrote:

In Wa. state parking spots are enforced by police - to the tune of a $500 ticket if you park in one without a pass.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim wrote:
It's just like the accessible stalls in a restroom. They should only be used when the others are occupied.

And at most events that have portable toilets I use these first, less use and much cleaner. I use the handicap toilet because my knee causes me pain sometimes and the bars on the walls

are useful. i don't look at them as for wheelchair bound folks exclusively. Most folks wouldn't mind waiting to use the facilities if someone was in there.

I had a temporary placard and found it useful but now that it has expired I am back to parking and walking. At the NHRA event this past weekend people show up with placards and PPD stops them

and verify's the placard against those in the vehicle which they should. The misuse of placards ,using them when pops isn't in the car etc, is terrible. Walk you lazy butts.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks has provided some very good information. In addition to that following is the law as it was when I was an ADA compliance officer for the state of Kansas.

Anyone can use disabled flagged sites but IF all disabled sites are full AND a qualifying person arrives at campground you can be required to move within a reasonable time period. Usually later the same day but I've also seen times that moving the next morning would be considered reasonable. It is pretty rare that you'd be asked to move but would be more likely on a big holiday weekend at a popular place. You can NOT be asked to move just because a disabled individual would rather have your site instead of another available disabled site. I have not heard of any major changes in the ADA regulations since I retired but there HAS been a huge change in how well it is enforced in many areas.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
It's just like the accessible stalls in a restroom. They should only be used when the others are occupied.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
In most COE parks, the handicapped site may be used if all the other sites are occupied.

Here is some wordage on the reservation site:

"You are about to make a reservation for an ACCESSIBLE SITE.

This site is accessible for persons with a disability or otherwise limited physical mobility. If no one in your party has needs for an accessible site, you should not reserve this site unless this is the only site available at the time of your request. This accessibility alert does not apply to group campgrounds, group day-use shelters, cabin and lookout facilities."
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS