cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Harbor Freight 500lb. cargo carrier for a spare tire?

TippleUnduly
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed that Harbor Freight has its 500lb. aluminum cargo carrier on sale at $69.99. The posted reviews were very favorable.

I guess you can use their 20% off coupon, too, further reducing it to $56 or so. My question is - Has anyone used this carrier to haul a spare tire? If so, did it work well for you?

Thinking about our 3rd Alaska trip and would like to carry an unmounted 16" spare tire.

Thanks much
Bill K
24 REPLIES 24

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
The steel ones sell at $39.99 if you watch for the sales. I've used mine for years on my truck and now on our MH. Rust is not really significant, at least yet. Rated at 350 lb, so it should be able to carry almost any spare tire/wheel.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably OK if you mount it in the MH's trailer hitch receiver. Just don't use one of these

clamped to a 4" square steel tubing "bumper." The torque produced by the weight out at the length of the carrier will tear the metal and/or welds in that thin steel bumper.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
own HF carrier for 5 years doing great
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
You can purchase a swingaway frame from Stowaway Carriers in Oregon for about $250 plus shipping. This is the company that manufactures the Stowaway2 trunk that you see mounted on the rear of many MH's.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
TippleUnduly,

This mount does not swing out, but it does swing down. I have one & it works well.

ULTRA-FAB $33.00 Amazon

I also have the Harbor Freight 500# cargo carrier & it's been working fine.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Svtkev!

I've looked at those, problem is that they don't swing away. I can't lift an 80 pound wheel and tire of off of a carrier each time I need to open the rear hatch. The only swing away tire carrier that I've found was 800.00 (yeah, like THATS gonna happen!).

I've seen them for Jeeps, but I don't know if they will fit the lug pattern (8 lugs) of a motorhome wheel.

If anybody has seen anything that might work, please let me know!

Thanks!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

svtkev
Explorer
Explorer
how about something like this?
http://www.carid.com/curt/curt-accessories-2164332.html

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
This looks to be a great idea! I'm going to go to Harbor Freight and take some measurements and see how my mounted spare will fit in it.

I've been trying to find a swing away receiver hitch spare tire carrier, but no luck. I have to make sure that whatever I put back there won't block the rear hatch.

So, this carrier may do the trick! I just have to make sure that everything is locked up tight, so somebody doesn't walk off with a 450.00 spare tire and wheel!

One of the big plusses with this is that it's aluminum! No RUST!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Cargo carriers in that price range tend to be of iffy construction. I bought one and promptly took it back. I have a Rola carrier of similar capacity and it's built like a tank. It also cost more.

Rola Carrier
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

geotex1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey fellow Jersey resident!

I have to ask, on the way to Alaska and you want it UNMOUNTED? :h

Regardless of my curiosity, I can tell you my neighbor has that HF carrier that he uses in his daily business to carry spools of cable that way a heck of a lot more than an unmounted, or even a mounted, spare for your rig! He even stacks it up with firewood when they tank off for a tenting weekend in the Pines.