cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help deciding between 2 motorhomes

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
New to RVing. First time buyer. Choosing between 2 diesel pushers.

2002 Newmar Dutchstar. 52,000 miles. 40 ft $65k out the door. 2 slides. Upgraded with wood floors and new tile in kitchen. LOTS storage in and out. Newmar has an impeccable name hard to ignore. 350 cat. Freight liner chassis.

2003 Fleetwood Excursion 46,000 miles 38 ft. $56k out the door. 2 slides, Price including ripping up old carpet and installing wood floors. Brand new fridge. 330 cat. Freight liner chassis.

I am TORN. So far my research says Newmar all the way for quality. Fleetwood iffy at best. Both units in top shape. Excellent condition. Like the extra slide depth on excursion, it goes WAY out and opens up the floor plan. Also, Really, really really want a king size bed and the Excursions slide out wide enough to accommodate. The Dutchstar slide out not an inch to spare so no go.

Any opinions?
52 REPLIES 52

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
Picking up the Newmar Monday. Thanks everyone for your input in helping me decide. It helped a lot. I'm thinking I can remove the cabinets from the foot of the bed and put my king on that side of the room. Worse come to worse, I have a king foam that can be cut to be tapered down to a queen and fit into the slide and then sleep with my head towards the king size end 🙂

Now off to find out WHAT TO DO AND WHERE TO GO!!!

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
In 2002 Freightliner was installing the 3126-E Caterpillar with 330 hp. Both coaches are about the same as far as quality. I would go with the floor plan you like. As far as to company names, it would be like comparing Ford to Chevy. They both have made good and bad coaches. So go with your heart.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Plumber101010 wrote:
Historically, being somewhat retired, me and my wife spend 99% of our time in bed. Watch TV in bed, eat in bed, do everything in bed. That's why it's more important. Whether or not we change our lifestyle living in an RV I cannot say, but based on history, I seriously doubt it.

If the king bed is paramount, which it was for us, you need to keep looking as this will be your full-time home.

So, on your new search, you should make a list and this is what I would want at least:
-Washer and Dryer
-Pass-Through Storage
-King Bed
-Fiberglass Roof
-Side radiator
-Cummins engine vs. CAT (just my preference)
-Tag axle (for more CCC)

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Plumber101010 wrote:
Historically, being somewhat retired, me and my wife spend 99% of our time in bed. Watch TV in bed, eat in bed, do everything in bed. That's why it's more important. Whether or not we change our lifestyle living in an RV I cannot say, but based on history, I seriously doubt it.

Get a truck camper

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
And thanks CA/TN for explaining WHY about the slide our storage. That helped me immensely!!!

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
This is on a freighter and not a spartan ? Least ways he SAYS in all his info it is as we as a 350. Just called and told him to reverify for me because of the EXCELLENT advice I got here!!!

glamisorbust
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the engine is concerned...my dad has a coach with a "350 CAT". I was in his engine bay recently making a few repairs under the bed and looked at the tag right on top of the valve cover. It read "7.2 liter 330hp 860 ft/lb tq". The previous owner told him it was a 350 so he just assumed that. Look at the tag on top of the engine, then you'll know what you have.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
We do not full time but do spend about five months a year in our gas MH. If we did full time opposing living room slides would be a requirement. We have FT friends in a Fleetwood with opposing slides. It really does open the space. No comment on brand quality as I have no first hand experience with either brand.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep looking. While I would want the Newmar for the peace of mind I WOULD rather have a floor plan that would suit me. Opposing slides can't be beat and really open a hallway feel you get in a single slide unit. If you are going to FT the more I would resist the urge to purchase either of these. Too many out there. Drive down to LazyDays and walk the lot. That won't cost an arm and a leg since you live in SC.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Plumber101010 wrote:
Both. But want the king bed desperately. But not at the sake of buying an inferior home? Dealer says both units will outlast me. Still....just how MUCH better is a Newmar vs Fleetwood. Cant really find anything bad, comments or otherwise on Newmar. Fleetwood a whole diff story. Fluctuates. Bottom line, if I KNEW both would give me 5 years of service and 100k more miles I wold want the excursion, but if its going to be trouble and Newmar isn't....

Plumber,we have had 6 motorhomes.....2 of the last 3 were Newmars..a 99 DSDP and a 2004 MADP...on these two we had them for 12 yrs and put appox 160,000 miles on them....then we bought an American....Fleetwood.....on this one we had more problems in 6 months and 6,000 miles than with the 2 Newmars and the beat goes on...we are going back to Newmar...the QUALITY is far above the other....in MHO...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
As I mentioned before, the Fleetwood has bays attached to the slide-out. Since you will be full-timing, you will have better under bay heat capability if you don't have the bays attached to the slide. When the Fleetwood slide is open, you can see under the whole coach and the weight of whatever you put in the Fleetwood holding bays is going to ride out with the slide. In my opinion, you will need pass-through storage.

I also think you will begin to love those extra cabinets in the bedroom as a full-timer. I'm not sure why you are concerned about the 'tightness' in the bedroom, you will be living in the front part of the coach.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
A king bed is nice for sure (we have one in our coach) but it is a pain to make up since they are usually squeezed in pretty tight between nightstands or cabinets. Just something to think about.

If I had convinced myself that I had to choose between those two, it would certainly be the Dutch Star. As already noted, the side radiator on a Spartan chassis and the absence of that ugly rubber roof that Fleetwood uses would do it for me. I suspect they both have the 330 CAT since that was a popular engine used in DP's of that era. It is probably the 3126E and if it has been maintained properly, it will outlast you.

All this said, I still think you should explore other coaches especially since you say you will full time in it. Check Tom Johnson's inventory in Concord, NC. That is not far from you and they usually have a good number of used DP's.

Whatever you decide, best to you and safe travels.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
There are something's that people here seem to love and yet i don't. Cabinets in bedroom. Yep. TONS. But too many and it makes it feel Cramped and not roomy. Plus with as little room left because of the beautiful Cabinets at the foot of the bed, I KNOW that when that slide closes there will be NO ROOM to walk around it will be a climb over the bed while driving. Didn't need to close it. I did the math. 2 foot slide. 2 foot opening. The fleetwood had NOTHING there. To me, that spells open and spacious and room to dance around even with slide closed.

I am going to be a full timer move out of our house in two weeks. Guess I should have mentioned that.... Could be important info. Also towing my chevy, 2013 crew cab 4x4 2500 heavy duty behind it. Guess I should have mentioned that TOO!!!

So I am DOWNSIZING. I don't want cabinets full of junk I don't need. I want simplicity.
So yes, lots cabinets nice but the Newmar has SO MANY OF THEM,
I feel it takes away from the open feeling. Being new to this, maybe I am being naive and don't know any better. But that bedroom has so many cabinets, even OVER the mattress, I feel like I'm being swallowed up and can't even sit up in bed without hitting my head on a cabinet.

So Let me ask this way to drive the point home. Please bare with me, I know I'm being a pain in the butt. But if NOT comparing it to the Newmar and I just said "what do you all think of the excursion" how many of you all would have said go for it, u should be safe, vs NO. Not a good buy?

Thanks again for all your answers. First time buyer. Full timer. Of course I am a little scared and just like the lay out of the excursion. Wider Width because of deeper slide out that is VERY noticeable when u first walk in, king size bed and less cabinets which mean more open look. Not to mention $9000 cheaper and as one of the first replies said "that's a LOT of gas and repairs"

Under storage??? Yeah, Newmar hands down. Towing my truck? 330 Vs 350 matter much? So just based on the fleetwood standing on its own, good buy or bad one? Thanks again...I'm sure ur sick of me asking sooo many questions already 🙂

I am SURE I will go with the Newmar. But not cause I want too, that's for sure, but because it's the MUCH BETTER COACH FOR THE BUY.