cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we alone?

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our Newmar in 2009, and we've made several extended trips in it, but we have never done the snow bird thing. Here in Puget Sound we have relatively mild winters and the indoor project list seems to never get caught up. It's nice to be home for the holiday season, so we simply don't get the urge to leave the house in the winter.

How many simply winterize the coach and stay home?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
22 REPLIES 22

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
We just winterize by draining everything and blowing out the lines with compressed air, I then leave a little space heater on if it's going to get below freezing. We also use the MH all winter if we have a chance, (the coast is so cool during a winter storm). Looking forward to retirement and being able to spend some time with Dennis!?!
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
I winterize even though it rarely gets to below freezing in San Antonio. We use the RV about four to five months but not in winter. We'll go to Florida in February but not to warm up.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Tom:

we've always stayed home for the winter, with the RV in the driveway. I winterise by draining and by-passing the HW heater, using the air compressor to blow all the lines clear, then add the a/f just to the P-traps. I leave the pressure relief valve on the WH cracked open to vent it when the temperature changes.

After Monday, it isn't my problem any longer. The RV has been sold by the consignment dealer in Burlington. Unfortunately, they only got one bid on it in almost 3 months and it was about $12K less than they'd estimated and about $5K less than we'd hoped to get. I'll be signing over the title tomorrow morning.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm just going through the final steps to get ready to leave Florida and head North. We plan on spending the holidays in Maryland with our Son and Grandson and then maybe head to upstate New York to see the Wife's relatives. We don't mind the cold and our big mountain dog loves to roll in the snow. It's just another Winter for us.

pegdiver
Explorer
Explorer
Just winterized yesterday...
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F with 2012 Jeep Liberty toad.
Old - 1999 32' Adventurer (no slides) with Grand Vitara toad (105,000 miles!)
Pride 3 wheel mobility scooter
Only 3 states to go in the USA, Camped in most of Canada and 4 states in Mexico too!

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
We are not full timers, but we do enjoy using the coach average once a month for around a two week stay. We never winterize the coach because in Southern California it never really gets that cold. We do have two children one in Las Vegas and one in Miami, Florida. During the holidays we spend time with one or the other. No grand children.

We do love staying in our stick house after a long trip on the coach. For us it would be pretty hard to go full time. Even 45'coaches would be kind of small for us.

We are planning on spending Christmas through New Years in Las Vegas, then the Club is throwing a rally at Quartzite. So we plan on spending about a week out there with the gang.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Tom, I haven't left for AZ. yet! I just keep everything on and the propane furnace going when it gets below freezing.

I drain all I can, then blow out the water system, and use two little beehive heaters to keep the coach interior above freezing, that's all I do. because we use the coach as a guest house several time during the winter.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
sunny jeep wrote:
I have parked to dennis and he is never home. We full time and never want to be cold.

Tim, when you comin' to Arizona....? I've got a space with your name on it..heard you spent a week back where you said you'd never return....:B:B.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Tom, I haven't left for AZ. yet! I just keep everything on and the propane furnace going when it gets below freezing.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We thought we would miss being "home" for the holidays then the kids moved their families to the coasts ( east AND west). Our friends who we go back 30 to 50 years with are anyplace but Rochester in the winter (those that are still around and those that haven't retired yet). So we visit them in FL or AZ and NM or wherever they happen to be.

We are always home now someplace on the road. Winterize only happens if we are traveling overseas and leave the coach where it might get cold.

We have friends who ski so winterize and store the coach for winter and go to a leased condo for the ski season in VT.

There is a person for every possible routine. No you are not alone.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

sunny_jeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have parked to dennis and he is never home. We full time and never want to be cold.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Winterize?
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
We stay home all the time.....of course, we're full timers....:W.

That's the PROBLEM with being retired...you never get a day OFF......Dennis

I am looking forward to having some of your problems 🙂
Full timing it since July 2012

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Never have to winterize and camp/travel year round, I guess that's one good thing about living in the SouthWest