cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hill Climbing

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to run this by some of you, at the present time when I climb a (Hill or Mountain) I let the Allison do the changing or down shift as needed, if it don't down shift at 1400 RPM I will down shift it my self, I haven't had a problem with over heating, just wanted to know if what I am doing is the proper way to handle the Mountain Climbs. A little late to ask since I have been doing it this way for 15 years. It is a 330 ISC 950 Torque at 1400 RPM. Thanks Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi
24 REPLIES 24

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins and Allison are efficient automatic pieces of engineering: EGT, downshift, temperature, RPM overspeed limiter, etc.. I take a look at the provided gauges once in a while and I just enjoy the automatic ride.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Arnie,

Certainly, one CAN just let the Allison "do its thing".

But, by definition, a transmission is REactive (seeing what happened behind you and the heavier the vehicle, the further behind you it looks because of MOMENTUM.

A driver can be PROactive-- anticipating what is happening in FRONT OF YOU.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
Based on my tour of the Allison plant and the Q&A I will let the transmisson do the shifting as programmed as the tour guide suggested. If you choose read the manual if have a different opinion JMO.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry, The temp sensor goes before the turbo. I drought you have one from the factory. I think you could find a temp sensor to monitor the air from the CAC, you could do in and out.
Brett, That brings up the question. What does the factory think are acceptable EGT temps and for how long? As you know I am running a Banks Economind Diesel tuner and the Banks IQ. I can run in the first setting that adds nothing and did that on a trip to get a base line. The hottest temps were when I had cruse on and the ECON engaged. The computer would try to maintain speed in the gear selected. I did see temps over 1300 but turning off the cruise and dropping a gear will drop EGT temps.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
On most of my hill climbing, I use my "max-performance" technique. I speed up before I began the climb, and as soon as the engine RPM starts dropping I hold the fuel pedal to the floor, and let the machine select whatever gear it needs.
I don't do enough hill climbing to worry about fuel mileage, and don't mind the engine going up to 2,400 RPM (8.3 Cummins 350 HP 1,050 lbs of torque).
It has never overheated.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Downshifting before the hill is easier on the tranny.

Would like more information on that one-- this is an Allison 3000 series. Torque converter is locked in all higher gears.

The only reason I would downshift (down arrow) is if the transmission in hunting between gears or you are overheating.

The OP is doing it EXACTLY correctly (per Cummins): As long as you are not overheating, let RPM lug down to peak torque RPM before downshifting.

And by doing THAT....your highway speed can vary considerable. Getting to the top of the hill first isnt any big deal but maintaining a constant...fluid like...highway speed is MUCHO safer
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of opinions/theories. As a 50+ year manual transmission user, I prefer to shift down an automatic manually, as I can see what is up ahead, ie increased grade, or another grade, or a sharp curve coming up, and prefer to downshift before the transmission decides to. Maybe just a carryover from my manual days. Never have had a problem on grades - up or down.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Lots of interesting replies. I find it interesting that no one mentioned EGT temps when climbing hills. You can have dangersly high EGT temps long before your water temp goes up.
Bill

Bill,

Unless one has modified the engine (chip in newer, larger injectors/ moved plate in older) the engine manufacturer has limited fueling to avoid dangerously high EGT's.

Said another way, EGT's on a stock engine would be "interesting" to watch, but would not reach dangerous limits. Exception would be running below peak torque RPM at high throttle positions.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
My CAT didn't come with an EGT, but I can see how it would be useful information. Where is the probe normally installed - upstream or downstream of the turbo? or is the probe already there for the ECM?

Also - what about inlet air temp? With all the worry about plugged up CACs, I'm surprised that the air temp on the output side of the CAC isn't monitored as well.

I expect I'd get all of these from an engine monitor app on my tablet.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of interesting replies. I find it interesting that no one mentioned EGT temps when climbing hills. You can have dangersly high EGT temps long before your water temp goes up. I think every diesel coach should have at least a Boost, EGT and transmission oil temp gages. I will watch and if EGT temps start to get high I will manually down shift. The hill that got my water temp up was not the big climes but a gentle grade that couldnโ€™t have been more than 2-3 degrees. The problem when I caught it was I was running cruise but the hill wasnโ€™t enough to make the transmission down shift. So the computer had the boost maxed out to maintain speed. The problem it was about a 20 mile climb. You didnโ€™t feel like you were on a hill till you looked behind you.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:
I agree with you, driving a gas rig, particularly one with a high RPM engine such as the very good Ford V10 is VERY, VERY different than a large displacement, turbo, inter-cooled diesel with Allison transmission.
Actually, my F450 was a 7.3L PSD.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I always bragged that I let the transmission decide on the shifting point when climbing and never had overheating problems. But this year when climbing north of Phoenix on 17 and the outside temperature was 90 degree's the engine heat indicator started climbing towards the upper limit, so rather than risking it going in to limp mode I had to manually shift so I could hold 2200 rpms and the heat stabilized. So I would say let your transmission do the shifting, but keep an eye on the engine temperature.;)

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I always let it down shift as it needs too. I assume that's why it's called Automatic. Now if I come upon some slow traffic going up hill I slow down and shift it down.
We had a couple we use to travel with, every time he came to a hill no matter how steep the hill he would shift it down to now matter what his speed was. Every time he did it the blue smoke came out from under his MH, I asked him why and he would reply he was getting a run for the hill. I know of 2 transmissions he replaced. I guess to each his own.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I personally prefer to manage the gears myself in the hills. I find that by the time the tranny downshifts on its own, I'm behind the curve. If I see a steep hill coming I downshift before the climb starts and get on the throttle to pick up speed before the hill hits its steep grade. On the really ugly grades here out West I just downshift and grind them out. Sometimes it is a slow haul in 3rd or 4th.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!