cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Hard Is It To Solo In A Class A?

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been primarily looking at Class Cs under 26 feet mainly for the ease of driving and parking. But, I'll be full timing for a couple of years (or more) and the thought of having more living space and storage space appeals to me.

However, I'll be solo and am concerned about parking and backing by myself. The largest vehicle I've driven and backed was big Ryder box trucks but I always had someone to assist in guiding. Of course, there were no backup cameras.

Anybody here solo? Any issues? (I guess not if you're still doing it, right?)

Thanks.
43 REPLIES 43

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I have remote controled mirrors and I find that by adjusting them down where
I can see the ground and the rear corners that it really helps .
Sometime I will swing the pass side mirror out to see where that tree or big
rock etc is .
I also get out often just size things up .

One time the only space left was a back in with a wall directly in front
of the space .
I think the whole park assembled with their chairs to watch the show .
That made me so nervous and to make matters worse the park helper assigned
to help me informed me later it was his first day and I was his first rig .
He insisted on standing where I could not see him and waving his arms .
He was as nervous as I was. I can laugh about it now

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I don't travel solo but from a functionality standpoint I might as well be. I love my family but they are just along for the ride. I drive, set up, park, well everything really. I like doing it and they like relaxing so we are co-dependent. It won't take long to get comfortable with your rig and with comfort comes confidence. Cameras make it so much easier and modern RV's are set up in a way that making and breaking camp is a breeze with one person. I really can't think of a single thing I need someone else for.

In the rare event that you do need someone else, fellow campers are some of the most helpful folks on the planet.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing solo for 14 years with a toad. As already mentioned, take your time and plan carefully.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
This

Janss wrote:
Get out and look over the site before backing up. See what's on the right, left, and behind, so you know what to look for in your side mirrors and backup camera.

and this

Louandsal wrote:
I have found the easiest way for me to back into a site is to use orange cones. I put 2 on each side and one at the back of the site. The cones are much easier to see in your cameras and mirrors. Takes the guess work out of backing in.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Been solo an on the road since 10/16, never stayed in a Rv park I still amaze d at where I can put this rig.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will also be a solo rv'er. When I retire I want to full time in motor home. Also, concerned with how every thing will be to handle when alone from backing up, setting up, tear down, etc., etc., etc.

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Louandsal wrote:
I am a solo driver also of a 41ft Class A motorhome. I have found the easiest way for me to back into a site is to use orange cones. I put 2 on each side and one at the back of the site. The cones are much easier to see in your cameras and mirrors. Takes the guess work out of backing in.

This is a great (and simple) idea!

Al

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Take your time and until you get a good feel for it, it's OK to stop every 10ft get out and make sure there is nothing you are going to hit....it's OK if you spend 10min backing into a site.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Louandsal
Explorer
Explorer
I am a solo driver also of a 41ft Class A motorhome. I have found the easiest way for me to back into a site is to use orange cones. I put 2 on each side and one at the back of the site. The cones are much easier to see in your cameras and mirrors. Takes the guess work out of backing in.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Used to have Class C's. I actually find Class A's easier to back up due to the width being the same for the whole length...unlike on a C where the cab is narrower than the rest of the unit.

Get out and look over the site before backing up. See what's on the right, left, and behind, so you know what to look for in your side mirrors and backup camera.

When available, I choose a pull-through campsite rather than a back in.

It won't take long with practice to feel comfortable and confident.

Do you plan to tow a car? When I get to a campground, I just unhook my car, park it out of the way, go park the motorhome in the campsite, then walk back to the car to get it.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
"A" have back up cameras, they are better than some one yelling at ya.

+1 you can do it just take your time!
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
"A" have back up cameras, they are better than some one yelling at ya.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done a fair bit solo in my 32' class C. I'm not convinced it's all that much different than a 26' unit or a 36' unit in practice in most circumstances. By that I don't mean that tight quarters are not tighter if you have a larger vehicle, but rather the general nature of the challenges doesn't really change; you have to look out for your tail swing and plan ahead similarly in each of the cases, and can't generally fit in a single parking space, and so forth.

As you probably already know, the biggest secret for parking and backing is to not be afraid to get out and look...and repeat as often as necessary. Sure, some may wonder if you're good at what you're doing, but that's much better than erasing all doubt due to failing to look.

One trick I've used on several occasions when I've arrived at a campsite when it's dark or getting dark is to deploy one or a few little collapsible LED lanterns at key spots so I have a clearly visible reference for where the rock or the edge of the fireplace is, or how far back I want to end up.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Jedidad wrote:
So I've been primarily looking at Class Cs under 26 feet mainly for the ease of driving and parking. But, I'll be full timing for a couple of years (or more) and the thought of having more living space and storage space appeals to me.

However, I'll be solo and am concerned about parking and backing by myself. The largest vehicle I've driven and backed was big Ryder box trucks but I always had someone to assist in guiding. Of course, there were no backup cameras.

Anybody here solo? Any issues? (I guess not if you're still doing it, right?)

Thanks.

you need 3-things...confidence that you CAN do this; humility to admit you need an extra set of eyes or help at times; practice, practice, practice...mostly thru experience.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle