cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long do you keep your fuel in your tank?

bobpie
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering?
We have had our motor home since 2001,
the longest that I have kept gasoline in the tank is 4 months without burning it all out and re fueling.
I always put an additive in the fuel when storing it for that long.
It has been a little longer now and we have no plans to go far and burn it off. Should I be concerned?
I hope the fuel had not gone bad???
2001 suncrusier, 32-v, Ford V10, 4 Koni FSD, dinning slide, No leaks, 1 wife, 1 westie, life is good! 03 malibu toad sometimes, roadmaster brake pro,roadmaster Blackhawk all terrain tow bar!
9 REPLIES 9

bobpie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies
As stated, I do use the fuel stabilizer, I drain the generator carburetor of fuel just never let her sit for so long at one time!
2001 suncrusier, 32-v, Ford V10, 4 Koni FSD, dinning slide, No leaks, 1 wife, 1 westie, life is good! 03 malibu toad sometimes, roadmaster brake pro,roadmaster Blackhawk all terrain tow bar!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of people camp host at campgrounds for 6 mos or more. Never have a problem. My caveat though, full tank and Stabil....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
You want to cover both the motorhome and generator. The best stabilizer I know of is Marine Stabil. It's very concentrated compared to their red stuff. I bottle of Marine Stabil will keep the fuel good for a year.I pour a bottle in, then fill the tank, run the engine for a while, then also run the generator for a while to make sure the Marine Stabil gets in. I been doing this for decades and have never had any fuel go bad.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use for diesel. follow instructions and mix it in fuel. There is also a formula for gasoline. It will kill any growth in the fuel.

https://www.biobor.com/products/biobor-jf-diesel/

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would worry more about the generator. You need to exercise it monthly with a load on it.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
As stated put in fuel stabilizer and have fun. A few years back , I had several surgeries back to back and it did not move for over a year. Fired up on the first try.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have been very busy for the past 6 months and my motorhome has sat, the 6 month old fuel in RV is still good, it starts right up and went on a small drive and it worked just fine, however I did add a fuel stablizer..

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have a vintage car that was sitting the last 4 mos and the fuel went very bad in it.
I wont make that mistake again and have since gotten a supply of fuel stabilizer for ethanol.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rolling the tires, warming up and circulating the rear end, transmission, engine oil, coolant etc. is essential IMO. You seem fixated only on gasoline.

PS Your post is fine! No need for posting help or support. I suggest the Class A or C section.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad