cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

DtommyD
Explorer
Explorer
Hey I have a dumb question.
when you measure your RV for length do you go bumper to bumpber or what. I've seen my same RV (or real close)listed as 15'. Do I measure from in back of my drivers seat on back to the bumper? Seems to me bumper to bumper right? (and no I'm not talking those 3 foot bumpers for extra gear)
And speaking of that - I want to make (because I'm cheap + want it customized) a bike rack for 2 bikes and also a bigger rubbermaid. I have a tire mounted on back but could move that to the roof(?) and use that mount. Anyone tried to make their own? My rear bumper is the 4" square basic bumper.

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
DtommyD wrote:
Well finally! I found you guys. I have searched high and low for a group like yours -

I have had problems with the engine when it gets hot.
I have thought about a 12v secondary radiator fan just for those times. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is it. New antifreeze and everything. The current fan works. Is it a water pump thing? How do I know?

Sorry about the longwindednessess.
Anyway - Happy to be here

Hello DtommyD!!

I'm glad you found us. Stick around, we've got a movement goin'
on here! The Economically Enlightened Anti-Debt Consortium of the Militantly Proud Antiquated But Lovingly Maintained Travel Vehicle
Owners Association. Coming to a rearview mirror real soon!! A veritable Flotilla of highway gypsys, kindred folk and cranky old screwballs like me who decided that while new RV's and other associated vacation and pleasure land craft were just great, "paid
for and carefully maintained" is the better way. We get to go more
places because guess what we're not paying for anymore? The RIG!!

Depending on the original condition of your rig before you replaced
things, and what you replaced, is a good place to start. If you've
"done due diligence" and replaced the hoses, belts and thermostat,
have a coolant overflow recovery tank and correct radiator cap on it, then I'd probably suspect the radiator. If you have a radiator shop nearby ask about having your
radiator flushed or boiled/rodded out if it's in good shape. They may be able to flush the engine block/heater core out too. It's an investment but worth it. If you have a bugcatcher screen behind the grille to keep all the bird and frog food from getting in, get rid of it and pressure wash the outside of the radiator. Unless the water
pump is leaking ("weeping" coolant from behind the pulley and fan
through a small hole made for this purpose) or making noise I'd leave
it. If you have everything flushed, it's a darn good bet to replace it
just for the sheer peace of mind.

Auxilary fans are OK but check your coolant system first. Just my two cents though. Do what you think right, and remember- an ounce of prevention is worth more than five pounds of "cure" or repair.

Never feel like you are longwinded- just speaking for me I can say
that I enjoy reading the posts, and the more there is to a reply,
the better! Besides, I'm a real longwinded type! Welcome DtommyD- you are among friends!

Cheers!!

Mark a.k.a. whiteknight001

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
new v'er wrote:
In regard to the painting question. Will it work on aluminum?:?

New V'er

I did this to an aluminum jon boat I wanted to camo paint. The
paint stuck so well you could put duct tape on it and peel it
off with no damage. Get a product called "vinyl wash primer"-
most big paint store chains carry it, like Anchor or Sherwin
Williams. You won't need much, and it's a two part product.
Before you paint the aluminum surfaces, wash them thoroughly
with a degreaser, rinse completely and lightly scuff the surface
with fine steel wool. If there are any deep scratches, scuff them
all the way down. Use clean cloths to rinse the surface with
lacquer thinner before applying the vinyl wash primer. Apply the
primer per package instructions, and let it dry thoroughly. Then
you can prime, paint and clearcoat over it and it'll stay.

This works on any bare aluminum surface wonderfully. A friend of
mine who works for a seamless guttering company gave me the secret.
If you do this first you can paint the gutters to match the trim
perfectly. Good luck, my friend! Have fun! I'm painting mine too.
And I'm doing the exact same thing. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

Mark a.k.a. whiteknight001

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
In regard to the painting question. I know that the boating industry has some self leveling high-luster paints that can be applied by brush and roller "Allgrip and Interlux". They supposedly don't leave brush or roller marks. If this is true would the finish be durable enough? Will it work on aluminum?:?
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
DtommyD wrote:
I have had problems with the engine when it gets hot. You pull into a campground and check in. I go nuts because I know it's heating up as the person in front of me tells the clerk about a fish or something. the engine gets real sloppy. I have to press the gas to keep it going.
I have thought about a 12v secondary radiator fan just for those times. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is it. New antifreeze and everything. The current fan works. Is it a water pump thing? How do I know?

I just bit the bullet and replaced the radiator on the 1976 Dodge 360 and added a trans cooler even though the mechanic said it was not necessary. I'm thinking a 30 yo trans needs all the help it can get. My temp guage stays in the low normal range.
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie

DtommyD
Explorer
Explorer
Well finally! I found you guys. I have searched high and low for a group like yours - hey, Ours.
1976 Class C Dodge Sportsman - 25'(?) 318 engine(?).
paid $1800 - Sleeps 6 - pull out couch- table goes down and above the driver. full bathroom.
I've had it for 3 years and have done the basics
replaced the water pump
changed the oil and wires and plugs
antifreeze
The real basics, as far as engines go, I'm not too good. But the wiring and solar I'm pretty good at.
I have had problems with the engine when it gets hot. You pull into a campground and check in. I go nuts because I know it's heating up as the person in front of me tells the clerk about a fish or something. the engine gets real sloppy. I have to press the gas to keep it going.

replaced the carpet with some 12" x 12" hardwood looking tiles. I actually splurged a bit and bought some expensive stuff since I only needed 2 boxes - well not even. It looks great with the rest of the wood in the RV. Plus it just took a few hours. Highly recomend.
I just turned 31 and my RV is 30 years old. I've searched the internet looking at different models and can't find a floorplan I like as much as mine. Perfect (for me and my daughter) - Wife is now ex so I get to camp more anyway.
Never have tried the gas though - take that back - I wanted to use my 20# tank so I got all the fittings. turned it on breifly and heard a leak in back of the stove. So I'll look at it at a later time. when I need hot water for a shower I just heat it on my coleman stove and use a battery powered shower thingy. Not too often so not a big problem.
I'm going to be moving in the spring of 07 and I think I'm going to live in the RV for a summer. The Ex would never let us do that so...
Anyway - I have painted the ceiling and brought the interior into the year 2000 I guess. I do want to paint the outside 1 foot wide golden stripes(its like a rough metal) that goes down both sides. It makes me feel a little too much like a pimp so I wonder if spray paint will work. Just a simple silver. The RV has had 30 years for the Gold stripes to come back into style and it just makes me feel a little funny. Maybe next year.
I'm also going to put in some track lighing on the ceiling (duh) as I am blowing bulbs and don't like 12v lighting stuff that it came with. I'll replace the 12v stuff but I just am allways hooked up to 110 or solar/12v with the power inverter.
Sorry about the longwindednessess.
Anyway - Happy to be here

Dannbo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running a 440-3 in a 1974 26' with a Dodge chassis. I know they all ran on leaded fuel back then, but what about now? Are we to use a lead additive?

pazzaz25
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I am getting a 1977 dodge mitchell 440 class c to do full timing workcamp in, the outside is a little rough, but only has 5k and a new rebuilt tranny, any suggestions on how to paint cheaply, or any other info I would love, am a 50 year old female going it alone with nepew would love to hear from anyone

Sound_Choice
Explorer
Explorer
Note to ksmoscanner:
DO IT>>>DO IT>>>DO IT>>> fix it up. It's a great family project that the whole family can do something on. Be sure and take it places as you can while it's under repair...you'll have some great stories to tell and it will tell you what to work on next. You can do a little work on it and take the family out even if it's only to Lonvgiew Lake or down to the Ozarks for the weekend and enjoy your work-in-progress. Have fun!!!
"...bases are loaded and Kc's at bat...
taking it play by play!"
Kc & Barb
'74 Cobra Dodge 440(on the mend)

Sound_Choice
Explorer
Explorer
Oh no, He's back!!!
Haven't posted since '05 but I've been reading...Hello to new folks from Ohio (original home) and K.C. MO. (current home).
Mine is a '74 Cobra 26' class a, M-400 chasis, 440-3 engine.
Like ksmoscanner, bought mine for only $2500...it was a mess!!! Since '01 Barb and I have been working on it bit by bit. New roof, new furnace,generator,frig,floor,interior, etc. etc. We did much of the work ourselves as time and MONEY was available and have loved every minute of it. I'm sure we have more in it than we could sell it for...but we don't plan on selling!!! It's been to GA, OH, AL, and most parts in between. It "bagged" a deer in Indiana and walked away gracefully. It always starts and has never refused to go where we wanted, even to all home Chiefs games. Whether we are working on it or traveling in it...IT'S GREAT and we LOVE it. The old Dodges just keep on rollin'.
I agree, we Mopars should have our own site as we are both "C"'s and "A"'s and welcome input from all Dodge owners. I also agree we should be posting pictures nad will do so as soon as I learn how if we are allowed by the Moderator. But I truly love all the stories, advice, suggestions, how-to directions, and even the plain old bragging about these great old beauties.
"...bases are loaded and Kc's at bat...
taking it play by play!"
Kc & Barb
'74 Cobra Dodge 440(on the mend)

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
D&Sluv2fishandcampMN wrote:

I am also missing the outside cover for the fridge guts. Anyone have any ideas of what to use to make another one or to buy a replacement?

RV Surplus in Elkhart IN or Bontragers RV in Three Rivers MI.

There is a list of RV surplus folks floating around on the net. I'm not sure where my copy is but I'll post the link when I get home.
Bill & Laurie

ssvette
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the Ride Rite air bags this weekend on my 1978 dodge establishment class C boy what a difference. The rearend lifted a couple of inches and the stability of the rig going down the freeway is 100% better. I just put 50psi in both so I have not played with it much, it did take a while to get the air lines from leaking but the installation was a breeze really engineered good. Next will be the fridge cooling coil kit which came today.

jims333
Explorer
Explorer
I was just given (for free) a 1978 Keystone Sprinter 26' Class A.
It's a Dodge m400 with a 440 in it. Is there anything I need to know about this RV that's special.
It has been sitting for the last 10 years so the worst thing about this is the smell but I plan on pulling the carpet anyway (1970's yellow brown shag). It has 24,000 miles on the engine and maintenance before it was stored was top notch (10 year old oil in the engine still looked and felt new).
By the way this is a great thread.
jims333

D_Sluv2fishandc
Explorer
Explorer
bump
Our Camping History:
Variety of tents
'72 Lionel pop-up
'76 Dodge Jamboree Motor Home
'98 Sportsmen 28' Travel Trailer
'93 Coachmen Catalina 23.5 ft 5th wheel
'98 Palomino Pop-Up
'01 Wildwood Lite Travel Trailer

D_Sluv2fishandc
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking forward to getting the old girl back. She is in ok shape, everything works on her. When I had her last I replaced the camper water pump, tires, battery, alternator, exhaust and probably a few other minor things I am forgetting.

Does anyone know of a place to get aftermarket accessories for these old vans? I mean like chrome pieces, wheel covers and a spoiler like the one someone posted on here, and other misc?

I am also missing the outside cover for the fridge guts. Anyone have any ideas of what to use to make another one or to buy a replacement?

I bet this thread makes it to 100 pages easy.

LETS SEE SOME PICS OF THESE OLD BEASTS!!!!!!!
Our Camping History:
Variety of tents
'72 Lionel pop-up
'76 Dodge Jamboree Motor Home
'98 Sportsmen 28' Travel Trailer
'93 Coachmen Catalina 23.5 ft 5th wheel
'98 Palomino Pop-Up
'01 Wildwood Lite Travel Trailer