cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

D_Sluv2fishandc
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you take your old beasts on trips of 150+ miles? I have always limeted mine to about 1 hour long trips.
Our Camping History:
Variety of tents
'72 Lionel pop-up
'76 Dodge Jamboree Motor Home
'98 Sportsmen 28' Travel Trailer
'93 Coachmen Catalina 23.5 ft 5th wheel
'98 Palomino Pop-Up
'01 Wildwood Lite Travel Trailer

ssvette
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Need help here, my 79 dodge 440 runs hot on hills, have replaced radiator with a 4 core super cooler, new stat, new hoses, new cap, and installed a new large transmission cooler and 50/50 antifreeze, motor runs cool in town with Vegas high temps and stop and go with no problem, runs cool on flat highways however it all goes to #@%$* when I drive up large grades in the summer, with all this work what is going wrong or is this normal for these old dodge motorhomes...

I just got back last night from Bridgeport Calif. and it was 107* at times, I changed my radiator also but along with that put in a Milodon high volume water pump and thermostat, I also changed the fan just because I wanted to cover all the bases.The rig (a 1977 dodge establishment on a MB400 chassis, 440-3 motor)had no heating issues but I did experience what I would call a small case of vapor lock the unit would act like it was out of gas and at first I thought it was a fuel filter but it would come and go not like a filter problem. I replaced the thermoquad with the edelbrock replacement carb and boy it was not cheap and it did come with the phenolic spacer but I still think this issue was a vapor lock situation, although it never put us on the side of the road 100* degree weather all the way and no overheating problems, after the first trip this was a success story.
I have to say the ride rite air bags were a big improvement in the handling of these types of motorhomes, I was a mess after the last trip and this time it was much better. If you have any questions on the mods I have done you can e-mail me ssvette@adelphia.net

DtommyD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know too much -- but just an idea
Do you have a external transmission radiator.. Not too spendy but it sounds like its the hills not the heat.
Throw a 12v fan on top of that (as you may not be moving too fast to get the radiator enough air).
I live in Minnesota so don't listnen to me. I do think the transmission radiator is fairly common though.
PS - Are you towing anything? if so drop and follow through the hills.

Right?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Need help here, my 79 dodge 440 runs hot on hills, have replaced radiator with a 4 core super cooler, new stat, new hoses, new cap, and installed a new large transmission cooler and 50/50 antifreeze, motor runs cool in town with Vegas high temps and stop and go with no problem, runs cool on flat highways however it all goes to #@%$* when I drive up large grades in the summer, with all this work what is going wrong or is this normal for these old dodge motorhomes...

DtommyD
Explorer
Explorer
So maybe its the wrong place to put this but the high bidder"s name was dogeowner and I thougt of you guys.
Air conditioning with ice and a cooler.
It's an ebay ad
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&item=270004738755&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
A cool idea for our air that went out?

RobinHoodRV
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the F-40 is a factory model number for the MB400 cut-away van that is used for the MH. Find the VIN number and post it online so we can post the info.

I have heard that the wrong thermostat can cause heating problems and here is a quote I saved from some forum:
'The correct thermostat will have a little barrel on the bottom of the thermostat that moves down restricting water flow thru the engine and directing water thru the radiator instead. Without this type thermostat the water will just circulate thru the block over and over untill the engine heat sinks and overheats.

A Robert Shaw brand thermostat that can be purchased at Auto Zone...( I know I hate the place) is made like you need...Compare one to a Stant and you will see the difference very quickly'

Haven't had to replace my thermostat yet so don't have any part numbers. You should be able to get part numbers from any auto parts house tho'.
-jc

78 Robinhood 23' Class C
97 Geo Tracker Convertible 4x4
87 Jeep Comanche Chief 4x4

ksmoscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi again,

I was wondering if there is anyone here that would be willing to help me with a few part numbers for my 1978 Dodge RV with a 440-3 and the model stamped on the sticker is F-40 GVW 10500. Engine is stamped with 440-3 on the block.I'm looking for part numbers for Spark Plugs, distibutor with all wires, all belts. Thermostat ( which is special??) Also interested in any information on the Dodge 1978 Model F-40 as I have found none but its clearly stamped on the drivers door frame.

I admit I know almost nothing about engines. I have begun the coach rework but the engine is out of my hands. I have found someone willing to work on it at my place to see if he can get it back to running condition but he asked me to supply the parts. I have found what I think are the parts at advanced and a couple others but there is so many to choose from I figured it would ust be best to try for the actual original part numbers first.

Also does anyone have any experience with overheating their 440-3? Mine went through a nasty overheat the other night and Im concerned I could have done some damage...any opinions out there on that?

Thanks a bunch

Gregg&Lauron
1978 Dodge 440-3
24' Far West

westtexus
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a complete set of new exhaust manifold bolts and sleeve nuts on ebay, total cost was less than $40, as best as I remember.
Westtexus 1991 Fleetwood Flair

YukonDoug
Explorer
Explorer
IdahoJamboree wrote:
I can not seem to find anyone who know where to find a replacement manifold bolt. Would welcome your help. If any of you know where I could get a manual for my Jamboree I would be grateful.

Try a machine shop. You'll probably find someone willing to mill you one for not a lot of money. If it's like most, you'll probably find some older guy there that will say "Hmmm, never made one of them before. This'll be neat..."
Doug Rutherford
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
1975 24' Fireball

Dannbo
Explorer
Explorer
Fill us in on what's so hot these day's, Bluetooth boy.

1976_TIOGA
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1976 Fleetwood Tioga. I have owned it for a week and have already replaced the aging carpet for new Vinyl and I am in the process of getting new foam and upholstery done to freshen the look of this great little MH. Thanks.
1976 Fleetwood Tioga
20' Class C Motorhome
Dodge Sportsman 360 cid

IdahoJamboree
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am newbie to your group. I found your postings by doing a google search for a problem I am having with my motorhome. I have a 1981 Dodge class "C" 21 ft. Jamboree with the the 440-3 engine. I purchased it late last summer and was in the process of moving so I never really used it. I could tell it needed valve cover gaskets by the oil burnt oil smell when I test drove it. I got it out and replaced the gaskets this summer. What a nasty job. I have replaced a few valve cover gaskets in my day and this was the worst I have seen. They were burnt to a crisp. I installed new FelPro gaskets and used the gray sealant. This got the leaks stopped.

It had a small exaust leak, but the previous owner had the crossover pipe replaced. I thought maybe a loose bolt. Not so, I changed the oil and filter checked it over and made a 400 mile trip a week ago. By the time I got home it was leaking exhaust out the right manifold quite badly.

Anyway as I said I found that my problems are not just mine by finding your posts. I need help on what to do with that exhaust manifold. I checked the bolts and the one on the rear of the manifold was just rattling around loose. I can not seem to find anyone who know where to find a replacement manifold bolt. Would welcome your help. If any of you know where I could get a manual for my Jamboree I would be grateful. Sorry about the long post.

sailpwr
Explorer
Explorer
What a great thread. I just got a '77 Minnie Winnie with a 360cid. Its got a few age related problems- mainly from sitting, including a roof leak which I just fixed on the outside. My question involves the inside- what is behind the ceiling panels? The one that is sagging seems to have a vinyl coating, then at least a couple layers of luan, is there insulation under that between 1x2's? (I'm not anxious to pull it out to see what's in there until I know I can get time to do the repair.) My last rig was a Titan that was steel framed. I'm guessing that's not the case with the C. Has anyone found a replacement product that can be bought cheaply and looks good for ceiling panels? How about pulling the cabinets out & replacing them after ceiling repairs? Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Finally took the "Chuck Wagon" on a long run. Left the hometown and went to Raystown Lake. This was a 340 mile round trip. I have had a fan belt squeal since purchasing the MH. Changed belts, tightened them, even tried belt dressing. Well the shake down run pinpointed the problem. Shortly after getting off I-80, she started squealing something awful. A quick check of the gauges showed the alternator not working. Lo and behold the Patron Saint of Vintage Motorhomes was on my rig. 2 miles down the road sat a salvage yard. $31 and 40 minutes later we were rolling with the "Big D" under the hood churning out the power. I think the old girl enjoyed the chance to stretch her legs on the concrete pastures. She thanked me by increasing the gas mileage from 5.2 to 6.6

Had a comical incedent. The spouse was sitting in the passenger side with the window open and I was pouring the coal right to the 440 powerplant to build up speed for a long upgrade. About half way up encountered some road construction. Well the Doug Thorleys with a 4" exhaust echoed off the concrete barriers. She jumped and said "what was that noise?" I said "That's just Big D under the hood." She then said, "I'm not a motorhead but now I know why everyone including our son wants this motor. It sure did sound sweet with the rumble I heard."

White Knight, If you are taking votes for a regional and/or national gathering of us folks count us in for 2!!!

P.S. Here is an address to see the "Chuck Wagon." Let me know if you can access it. I think I have it set to be viewed by all.

http://photos.yahoo.com/unionguy1019
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
DtommyD wrote:
I want to make (because I'm cheap + want it customized) a bike rack for 2 bikes Anyone tried to make their own?

Tommy D, we all are in this for the cost avoidance and the sheer joy of splinters and blue fingernails. I purchased two THULE brackets that attach to the forks of the bike. They bolt with four 1/4 inch bolts. My system is two treated 2x4's covered with a 4x4 white composite fencepost(cut in two lengthwise.) Each half covers the 2x4.
I attached the Thule brackets to each drilling through the white composite veneer and the 2x4. I used two 2 1/4 squared bottom "u" bolts to attach each unit to the 2" receiver bar of the "Valley" basket/rack. I use ratchet straps to further secure the bikes.

Works well.

Hey White Knight,

Might there be any interest in regional rallies or get togethers?
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226