cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
masterboondocker> what manifold company sells that and do they claim that, the big 3 would also like to know, no vacuum gauge, but tests on vacuum shows up real good, no problems so far with front brake hoses, I like to drive 60-65 mph seems to drive best here and still handles good, but best gas mileage is 55-60. 3000 rpm at 60 mph...

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Big_John wrote:
MasterBoondocker wrote:

Do you know what is perfect - comfy ? ...and cheap? ... a set of darkgrey fabric late-model Dodge minivan seats.

That sounds just like what I'm looking for. Comfy and cheap always works great for me. Hmmm...will the dark gray go with the orange dash though? LOL

There's a "Pick and Pull" junk yard near me. I'll hit it next week.

There IS a much lighter cloth interior than that grey ...KIND of similar to a lite bronze ? ... but it is tough to find.

BTW ...the last set I picked up .....were 50 beans ... for the SET.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
tim ..... I can think of TWO manifolds that will get you lots closer to 2-4 mpg ... than to your low # of .5. Again ... they both have better distribution and they automize the fuel better.

Do you have a vac guage? ... what is your crusing sweet-spot ? ... both rpm and speed? Have you ever had probs with your front brake hoses?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker> I don't think you can pickup that kind of extra mileage from just a intake manifold on a motorhome, factory manifolds are not that bad off, maybe a 1/2 gal per mile but not 2-4 mpg, my interior walls and ceiling is still in great shape, no soft spots or leaks this motorhome was built to last and last even factory baked on paint job shines and stripes are painted on, not to many rv makers than and now build them like this, Ray Frank and his sons were top off there heap for rv motorhomes, started with the frank motorhome, than dodge motorhome, which changed name to travco than he moved on to his last masterpiece the Xplorer's, even the vacuum step by door still works and was built by Ray Frank, he is the grandfather of motorhomes, brought the world the first manufactured motorhomes, before that you had to make it yourself or pay someone to make it...

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker wrote:

Do you know what is perfect - comfy ? ...and cheap? ... a set of darkgrey fabric late-model Dodge minivan seats.

That sounds just like what I'm looking for. Comfy and cheap always works great for me. Hmmm...will the dark gray go with the orange dash though? LOL

There's a "Pick and Pull" junk yard near me. I'll hit it next week.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Big_John wrote:
I bought a '79 Dodge this afternoon!

440 engine, 25' Ozark Traveler. It needs a few cosmetics, but it runs great.

I have to do something about the seats though. The captains chairs (driver and passenger) were probably great when it was new, but I'd like to upgrade them to something a bit more comfy.

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a '79 Dodge this afternoon!

440 engine, 25' Ozark Traveler. It needs a few cosmetics, but it runs great.

I have to do something about the seats though. The captains chairs (driver and passenger) were probably great when it was new, but I'd like to upgrade them to something a bit more comfy.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
sepisllib wrote:

In 1981 I bought a 1973 Dodge powered 30 foot Class "A" Surveyor motorhome. It turned out to be a neat rig - had quite a few problems but engine was the invinceable 440. Had a few issues with it at first - but got running well. Put in twin large diameter exhaust pipes all the way to rear with large glass packs.

Going through the passes on Hwy 7 in Arkansas - the entire valley could hear her bellering. Never did drop below 45 mph up any of the grades though - power was great. Mileage - that was something else - 6.5 was the best it would do. Not towing anything at all. Had fun in it though. Doesn't even come close to what I have now - but fond memories remain.

A 73 with a 440 ? ...are you sure? ....and 6.5 mpg ? .... B E S T ??... !! ...what was the WORST ?

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Yes it would maybe be better but every thing runs just fine and why mess with it, besides I have have redone the entire inside, new upholstery, carpet, toilet, frig, blinds, cushions, etc, etc, and wife says I need to slow the spending down and spend more time camping.......

BUTTT ....you know that you could probably pick-up another 2-4 mpg with a MPG intake. BETTER fuel-air automization.

Did you do any UPgrades to the paneling and ceiling etc? ... I got a quote for mine(a 25 footer) .... REdoing it in knoty-pine ....GUESS how much the quote was?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bill I thought that motorhome pic you have there was a new one but profile says its a 93 [wow] is that a new paint job.....

sepisllib
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge Liberator wrote:
I have recently Purchased A 1974 Liberator With a mb300 chassis ( near as I can figure out after looking at dodge parts manuels) and 318 engine for $750 and my wife was a little skeptical but after a little paint and decorating she is excited about it. Had a little work to do to it as someone took window air out and left home open to elements for 10yrs Have repaired that and where the siding had came loose at back. Got the brakes all working and am now working on water sytems as they were in bad shape. Gas was so old it took lots of gas additive to get it home but once they took hold engine runs fine now. Might have to do some steering repair as wants to wander a little right now.Frig is working now after several attempts and am not quite sure how I managed that.

In 1981 I bought a 1973 Dodge powered 30 foot Class "A" Surveyor motorhome. It turned out to be a neat rig - had quite a few problems but engine was the invinceable 440. Had a few issues with it at first - but got running well. Put in twin large diameter exhaust pipes all the way to rear with large glass packs.

Going through the passes on Hwy 7 in Arkansas - the entire valley could hear her bellering. Never did drop below 45 mph up any of the grades though - power was great. Mileage - that was something else - 6.5 was the best it would do. Not towing anything at all. Had fun in it though. Doesn't even come close to what I have now - but fond memories remain.

God Bless

Bill
Bill W. Trammell
Wife - Judy
2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor
2008 Malibu 2LT toad

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it would maybe be better but every thing runs just fine and why mess with it, besides I have have redone the entire inside, new upholstery, carpet, toilet, frig, blinds, cushions, etc, etc, and wife says I need to slow the spending down and spend more time camping.......

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
tim ....a stock IRON intake ? .... you know that you can do LOTS better than that.

BTW ...do you have a vacuum gauge ?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker> I have a stock intake manifold, Increasing piston compression will burn E-85 more efficiently but is not really needed to convert motor to run on E-85, New flex fuel autos still have to meet federal emissions laws so piston compression can not be to high, if so it will burn more dirty when using regularly fossil fuel, this is why the muscle car era ended to meet emissions laws, lower the compression, slow down the timing and they can control the burn and clean up the exhaust, besides my motor still runs strong no need for a overhaul yet, but when I do I might increase piston compression a little but I have to be careful because we here in Las Vegas still have to have a emissions test done every year, E-85.com and other ethanol web sites have info on changing motors to run on E-85 and just increasing fuel flow and bumping up timing and changing fuel lines does the job ok, remember mpg increase begins at proper fuel management.......[fullflexint.com has kits for newer autos to convert to E-85, check it out].....

Dodge_Liberator
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently Purchased A 1974 Liberator With a mb300 chassis ( near as I can figure out after looking at dodge parts manuels) and 318 engine for $750 and my wife was a little skeptical but after a little paint and decorating she is excited about it. Had a little work to do to it as someone took window air out and left home open to elements for 10yrs Have repaired that and where the siding had came loose at back. Got the brakes all working and am now working on water sytems as they were in bad shape. Gas was so old it took lots of gas additive to get it home but once they took hold engine runs fine now. Might have to do some steering repair as wants to wander a little right now.Frig is working now after several attempts and am not quite sure how I managed that.