cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

proceed_net
Explorer
Explorer
Well, here goes. Going to try and post a pic of my rig.

jmangrum
Explorer
Explorer
we love our 1978 travlequeen on the m-500 chasis. everything is original and still works. its simple to work on and has less of todays gadgets to fail.
1978 Travel Queen 27' class a
440 cid gas 727 tranny
62,000 miles Dodge M-500 chassis
onan 4.0 kW
Family of four and pepper the poodle
motor home pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/j_man46/

greatgranny
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I have a 1976 Dodge Gypsy motor home. We bought it in 1978. Had some water damage and made a mess of it. Himself asked me we should do with it and since it was paid for, I said, lets tear it down and rebuild. So we did.

We used as much as we could from the old unit. We added 18โ€ to the end of it to lengthen it because we wanted a perment bed in the back. The original had a dinning area in the back that broke down into a bed.

We used metal box beams and bolted them to the bed of the dodge and extended the length that way. Put in lots of insulation on the floor, walls and ceiling. Built the walls with 2x2โ€™s and plywood. The bloody thing could stand up on itโ€™s roof itโ€˜s that strong. Added a generator and roof air condioner as the original one did not have one.

Now we need to replace the carpet in the cab, but donโ€™t know where to go for that. We had to stop work on it because we were taking care of my mother-in-law. She pass away last year so we are back working on it. Has been quite a job.

Lyn ๐Ÿ™‚

oldvolks
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a '77 Gladiator Crusader 22'. Has the 360 with 2 barrel. I'm the 3rd owner, 46K miles. Looks like just needs a good cleanup, & a little tlc. Going to try short 2 nighter in a couple weeks, can't wait to see how it does. Glad to see I'm not the only person who doesn't think you have to buy something new to enjoy yourself.

pbe10
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge M-400, vintage 1972 Superior. Most of my help came from the "Durable Dodge" group, hundreds of members to offer help.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for Bosch also.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Hay what kind of spark plug are you Dodge guys using in a 440 mtr, I have been using Bosch with no problems but am going to change plugs soon and wonder if any great results with a certain plug...high end...stock...E3....halo....copper....platinum......iridium...etc...

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Hey new v'er and others. I may put in the pink juice but that doesn't mean I put the lively girl to sleep. She may take a week or two nap, but usually is used at least 40 of 52 weeks. Below is a link to some of my camping photos.

www.photos.yahoo.com/unionguy1019

You may have to click and paste. I can never get the link to work without it listing the URL 3 times.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Big_John wrote:
MasterBoondocker wrote:

BOTH Edelbrock intakes..... models being Streetmaster and the SP2P.

FWIW, Back in the early eighties, I had a SP2P manifold on a '73 440 that I had in a '67 D100 truck. It had a stock cam with exhaust manifolds. It had lots of low end torque for towing and I was pretty happy with the manifold.

Gas mileage wasn't too much of a concern to me at the time, so I can't comment one way or the other.

Both are GOOD manifolds ...... but the SP2P runs out-of-steam at 4500 or so.

I have run the SM myself .... since it was only one available to me at the time I put it on my 413. Then I put a TQ on it .... and will be tweaking the primary circuit for mpg.

When the new motor is done ....I will probably go with the SP2P ... better fuel/air atomization - IMO.

Koldei
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker wrote:

My rig is a 1973 Discoverer ....25 foot Class A.....413 power. I have tried posting a pic but without success.

if ya'd like to mail one off to me i'll post it on the server where mine is kept.
koldei (at) ameritech (D) net

๐Ÿ˜‰

robert

fwiw his looks like this:
1972 Rectrans Discoverer25R
Dodge M300 Chassis w/413

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker wrote:

FWIW, Back in the early eighties, I had a SP2P manifold on a '73 440 that I had in a '67 D100 truck. It had a stock cam with exhaust manifolds. It had lots of low end torque for towing and I was pretty happy with the manifold.

Gas mileage wasn't too much of a concern to me at the time, so I can't comment one way or the other.

sepisllib
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Bill I thought that motorhome pic you have there was a new one but profile says its a 93 [wow] is that a new paint job.....

No - like most of you I like the older rigs as I really feel the build quality is better on most of the unit.

Have been told by a tow truck driver that the new rigs he has towed - the chassis build is getting cheaper and lighter all the time. He sometimes has a unit that just will not handle being towed so he turns the job down. He advised me to keep what I have (instead of buying new) - the frame and drive chain in my rig was "bullet proof".

The paint job is an aftermarked job - it is really neat and I love it except for the one brown color. I bought new storage doors (old ones all are made of wood and need replacing badly) and since the bottom part makes up a heavy share of that color - I am going to change the color slightly. From photos - I will take as I complete the job - most will not be able to tell the difference in color when I get done.

In answer to one question on 440 engine - yes - is was the 440 engine. I was not the original owner - so is it possible that someone replaced it -- yes.

That thing sure ran good though. Power was good and mileage was terrible. The 6.5 was absolutely the best and driving in mountains I did fill up a couple times and it was less than 5. It was a hungry girl. Gas was cheap at that time though. Fond memories will be with me forever on that motorhome though - family enjoyed it and we traveled with kids and all.

God Bless

Bill
Bill W. Trammell
Wife - Judy
2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor
2008 Malibu 2LT toad

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
masterboondocker> what is your rig, and will there be a pic soon....

My rig is a 1973 Discoverer ....25 foot Class A.....413 power. I have tried posting a pic but without success.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
masterboondocker> what manifold company sells that and do they claim that, the big 3 would also like to know, no vacuum gauge, but tests on vacuum shows up real good, no problems so far with front brake hoses, I like to drive 60-65 mph seems to drive best here and still handles good, but best gas mileage is 55-60. 3000 rpm at 60 mph...

Have you heard of the famous issues with those hoses?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
masterboondocker> what is your rig, and will there be a pic soon....