cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Retro Cruiser wrote:
You may be right Boondocker, I've never pulled a tape on the two to check the actual difference of tire height. That was just my initial thought.
I'll measure them both next time I see him. Interesting to see..

BTW Thanks to the forum for the Checking propane level with hot water trick.
Wife's coffee mug filled with water in the micro for 1 minute and I know excatly how much propane I have! Brilliant!!

RC .... the way most tires are measured now is "rollout". They will give the revs per mile ... which IMO is a way way more accurate way of comparison.

RUN that propane "check" by me ! I am using a 100 lb cylinder to heat a section of my barn and I would like to keep track of the usage.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker said > EFI & OD trans, lots of $$$ little fuel econ, tweaking carb is better.........Fuel inject system is a better fuel management than a carb, carbs can vapor lock, poor performance in high altitudes, burns more dirty than a EFI, carbs are ok at the race track or for small motors like generators, lawn mowers, etc, but cars/trucks/rv's are better suited for EFI, will get better mpg and burns better and cleaner, motors have proven to last longer with EFI over carbs...

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
You may be right Boondocker, I've never pulled a tape on the two to check the actual difference of tire height. That was just my initial thought.
I'll measure them both next time I see him. Interesting to see..

BTW Thanks to the forum for the Checking propane level with hot water trick.
Wife's coffee mug filled with water in the micro for 1 minute and I know excatly how much propane I have! Brilliant!!

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Under normal acceleration it shifts into third around 35 mph. By the time I'm going 60 it's really turning (I have GOT to install a tach so I can give better info) Trans is not slipping or anything, just geared very low.
On the up side, I can surprise people leaving stoplights!

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Retro Cruiser wrote:
Too many unknown variables. Give me rear tire diameter and current rpm at 60 mph and we can get close...

I have a buddy with a 79 class A. He can run 65 pretty comfortably. Drive train same as mine (440, torque flite, low a** gears ) I always figured the difference was the class A's taller tires. (19 or 19.5 wheels vs. 16.5 wheels) Mine will go 65, but it's ugly..

There is not really a monsterous diff in the tire height/diameter/rollout between a 16 to a 19.5. The major diff there between those tires is the load carrying capacity.

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone. I've just downloaded all the manuals (except chassis) for my 1977 Dodge Brougham, 360 ci. here. I will scan the chassis manual and load it up as soon as I can get to it. Hope this will help someone out...Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a '73 Concord (see profile for pic) with a 440 and 8 x 17.5 wheels - and I drove it at 72 through PA comfortably (I haven't checked the gearing yet, but I'm pretty sure it's 4.56).

Are you sure you're getting into high gear (3rd)?
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Too many unknown variables. Give me rear tire diameter and current rpm at 60 mph and we can get close...

I have a buddy with a 79 class A. He can run 65 pretty comfortably. Drive train same as mine (440, torque flite, low a** gears ) I always figured the difference was the class A's taller tires. (19 or 19.5 wheels vs. 16.5 wheels) Mine will go 65, but it's ugly..

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
RPM toooo much ?? .. YOU Class C guyz are lucky.... with a 4.10 or so gear. Us Class A guys are dealing in most cases with a 4.56 or even in some cases a 4.88 gear !

My solution? .... in my 73 Class A ... I found a complete 3.73 geared axle assembly and will be putting that in to replace that 4.56. Anyone care to guess how many fewer rpms the engine will turn with that shorter gear in it(vs that 4.56) .... during a 6000 mile trip?

On the subject of EFI and a OD trans ...... lots of $$$$ for very little fuel econ. You can tweak carbs and intake manifolds and achieve better fuel econ for the $$$ spent.

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
DtommyD,

Thanks, that's what I do most of the time and 100 miles or so is as far as I usually go, but if I could get the rev's down a bit I'd like to venture farther.

Btw, got the pic on my profile.Upgrades so far... painted the interior, new ceiling, new fabric, new foot operated (highly recommended) toliet, stainless wheel covers, new awning fabric, aux. electric fan, and more. Getting ready to freshen the 440...

Retro

RobinHoodRV
Explorer
Explorer
75Americanclipper wrote:
anything for an 1975 Dodge American Clipper with a 440 rear kitchen

what are they called, like D100, D200 or D300, which one is ours

I believe that the D series was for Dodge pickups. The B series was vans. The MHs were either an MB series for a MH built on a cut-away van or the M series for the Class A MHs.

When looking for parts for your class c start with the MB model # first (usually MB300, MB350, or MB400) and if that model isn't available, then look for parts for a B300 series van. Remember, the rear of a van will usually not match what you have under your MH. The front should be identical except for possibly suspension components.
-jc

78 Robinhood 23' Class C
97 Geo Tracker Convertible 4x4
87 Jeep Comanche Chief 4x4

DtommyD
Explorer
Explorer
Hey RETRO
"60 mph has it really humming. I don't have a tach, but it's obviously turning a lot of rpms. Anybody have this problem? Any solutions without a ring and pinion swap?"
I have a '76 Dodge chassis ... (I'd look but its in storage) I think I have a 318 and yes, at 60-70mph its screaming. I wish I had overdrive but I don't. My fix is to not take the interstates. I just drive it within 100 miles so I'm not a long tripper.
Back roads my friend.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone here converted there old motorhome to run on E-85 fuel, I have converted mine to a full flex fuel RV, E-85 fuel is something we are going to see a lot of from here on out, your motor runs cleaner and better on E-85 [ethanol], if you are thinking about to change your carburetor RV to a full flex fuel RV I can help with the change, been running E-85 for over a year now in my 1979 Dodge 440 RV and it runs great, last emission test it burned so clean that it even meet the same standards of a mid 90"s motor, check my pic on profile and if you have any questions about the change just let me know...

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
75Americanclipper wrote:
I don't have my vin on me, sorry, but it a dodge Rv American Clipper, built in Gilroy, CA, they use the dodge frame to make these, back in the 70's

When you get VIN just use the info already provided and you should be able to get the correct model, engine, etc.

Let us know what you come with.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, just found this forum. Me and my better half and our dog have been restoring a 1981 (1979 Dodge MB400 chassis with 440) Establishment 22 footer. We've done a lot so far and have more plans. I've read some of the posts here and see that we are like minded about our motorhomes being "classic" not "old". There's just something about them! I will post a pic when I figure it out.
I do have a question. Our rig seems to be geared very low. 60 mph has it really humming. I don't have a tach, but it's obviously turning a lot of rpms. Anybody have this problem? Any solutions without a ring and pinion swap?

Thanks